News Yes, Harry Dear Has Re-Signed (2 year deal y'all)

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree 67 means they have more points for Jarman covers pick 51+, or 37+ with pick 53 added. or to use as a live pick. ROB will be the last pick as Rookie upgrades are today.
As things stand now, with 13, 43, 53, 67 we would have to use the following picks on Jarman..

24-32 = #43 + #53
33-42 = #43
44-52 = #53
54-55 = #67

i.e. if another club bids with a pick in the range from 24-32 (inclusive) then we'd have to use both #43 & #53 to match the bids.

I don't think the club would match a bid under 33 (i.e. a bid which requires us to burn multiple draft selections), so I haven't bothered showing calculations for bids before #24. I think they will be hoping to get him with #53 or #67.

Adelaide has delisted Ricky Henderson and Mitch Grigg ahead of Monday’s first AFL List Lodgement deadline.

The Crows have also confirmed the upgrading of ruckman Reilly O’Brien, a new two-year deal for emerging forward Harry Dear and one-year extensions for rookies Jonathon Beech and Paul Hunter.

O’Brien, 21, has been on the rookie list for two seasons and made his AFL debut late in the 2016 season, playing two games.

Crows General Manager List Management and Strategy Justin Reid thanked Henderson and Grigg for their contributions to the Club.

“This is always a difficult time of year at football clubs when some tough decisions need to made,” Reid said.

“We thank both Ricky and Mitch for their commitment and dedication during their time at the Club.

“They have both been professional in their approach and we wish them all the very best for the future.”

Henderson, a rookie draft selection in 2008, played 90 AFL games for Adelaide including nine this year. The former basketballer made his AFL debut in 2010.

Grigg, recruited from Norwood in the 2011 national draft, played 20 AFL games for the Crows.

Dear, 20, is yet to make his AFL debut after two years with the Crows but the key forward showed promise this year to kick 37 goals in the SANFL.

Beech, 25, won the Crows’ State League Club Champion award in his first season with the Club after being drafted from West Adelaide last year and Hunter developed as a ruckman/forward.

“We are excited for all three to continue their journey at West Lakes,” Reid said.

Adelaide has now made six changes to its primary list. Others on the departure list are former captain Nathan van Berlo, Matthew Jaensch, Luke Lowden and Jarryd Lyons. Rookie Keenan Ramsey was also delisted.

As it stands, Adelaide has five available picks in the national draft – 13, 43, 53, 67 and 89.

Updated draft order

LIST CHANGES
Departures

Nathan van Berlo (retired, played 205 AFL games for Crows)
Matthew Jaensch (retired, played 74 AFL games for Crows)
Jarryd Lyons (traded to Gold Coast Suns, played 55 AFL games for Crows)
Ricky Henderson (delisted, played 90 AFL games for Crows)
Mitch Grigg (delisted, played 20 AFL games for Crows)
Luke Lowden (delisted, played 0 AFL games for Crows, 1 for Hawthorn)
Keenan Ramsey (delisted rookie, 0 AFL games for Crows)

Upgraded rookie
Reilly O’Brien

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2016-10-31/crows-finalise-list-changes

Adelaide has delisted Ricky Henderson and Mitch Grigg ahead of Monday’s first AFL List Lodgement deadline.

The Crows have also confirmed the upgrading of ruckman Reilly O’Brien, a new two-year deal for emerging forward Harry Dear and one-year extensions for rookies Jonathon Beech and Paul Hunter.

O’Brien, 21, has been on the rookie list for two seasons and made his AFL debut late in the 2016 season, playing two games.

Crows General Manager List Management and Strategy Justin Reid thanked Henderson and Grigg for their contributions to the Club.

“This is always a difficult time of year at football clubs when some tough decisions need to made,” Reid said.

“We thank both Ricky and Mitch for their commitment and dedication during their time at the Club.

“They have both been professional in their approach and we wish them all the very best for the future.”

Henderson, a rookie draft selection in 2008, played 90 AFL games for Adelaide including nine this year. The former basketballer made his AFL debut in 2010.

Grigg, recruited from Norwood in the 2011 national draft, played 20 AFL games for the Crows.

Dear, 20, is yet to make his AFL debut after two years with the Crows but the key forward showed promise this year to kick 37 goals in the SANFL.

Beech, 25, won the Crows’ State League Club Champion award in his first season with the Club after being drafted from West Adelaide last year and Hunter developed as a ruckman/forward.

“We are excited for all three to continue their journey at West Lakes,” Reid said.

Adelaide has now made six changes to its primary list. Others on the departure list are former captain Nathan van Berlo, Matthew Jaensch, Luke Lowden and Jarryd Lyons. Rookie Keenan Ramsey was also delisted.

As it stands, Adelaide has five available picks in the national draft – 13, 43, 53, 67 and 89.

Updated draft order

LIST CHANGES
Departures

Nathan van Berlo (retired, played 205 AFL games for Crows)
Matthew Jaensch (retired, played 74 AFL games for Crows)
Jarryd Lyons (traded to Gold Coast Suns, played 55 AFL games for Crows)
Ricky Henderson (delisted, played 90 AFL games for Crows)
Mitch Grigg (delisted, played 20 AFL games for Crows)
Luke Lowden (delisted, played 0 AFL games for Crows, 1 for Hawthorn)
Keenan Ramsey (delisted rookie, 0 AFL games for Crows)

Upgraded rookie
Reilly O’Brien

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2016-10-31/crows-finalise-list-changes

Would this imply we are heavily into a DFA?

Hmmmm, just checking my list of posters who were convinced earlier this year that Dear would be delisted :rolleyes:.
No need to look in my direction. Not this time..

I did predict that Grigg would be delisted. Henderson too, but only once the club made it clear that he wasn't a required player and that they were quite happy for him to leave as a FA.

Hmmmm, just checking my list of posters who were convinced earlier this year that Dear would be delisted :rolleyes:.

Two years is a great result. He is like a young colt, could be anything, could be nothing. Two years gives us enough time to find out. He must be given a taste this year.

For a guy his size to show such rapid improvement this season after being injury plagued last year and before being drafted is very promising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year with Josh Dunkley

I am aware of Dunkley but does any draft guru know how many times it has happened over the last 5 years?

My impression is that about 90%+ go to the nominated club. I can't recall it ever happening under the earlier process when it was a set selection but it may have happened when you had to use your next selection after another club nominates the player. The wording of our statement seems to suggest that we have guaranteed to take him with one of our later picks but if he is nominated earlier it will be "thanks but no thanks".

Could someone who has followed our reserves team closely give us a brief review of Dear's season? So the rest of us can have an idea of how he went and where he's at.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/119356/Harry-DEAR

He presents well a lot of the time, but with our top heavy attack it was a bit hard in respect to opportunities. When he had that good run of form in the middle of the season it was when our forward line was a lot more open with him not having to fight with Lowden and Hunter and Ramsey in order to be the focal point. A lot of SANFL teams put a smaller than him but quick defender on him. He is very fast for his size, which people need to respect when playing on him. Always will contest the ball when it is around and he contests hard. Good tackler and smart in trying to make sure he doesn't give away a high tackle. Like Greenwood and Menzel he seems to have a desire to hurt the opposition when he has the opportunity. That's one of the things I like about him the most.

This is from last year and what isn't obvious is the turn of speed he does to turn that opponent inside out and then just power into the goal square. Watching that live it was very impressive.

His six goal haul against North

The camera work doesn't show that speed once again because it is following the ball but note the space he has on his opponent when he is marking the ball at a jog.

Could someone who has followed our reserves team closely give us a brief review of Dear's season? So the rest of us can have an idea of how he went and where he's at.
After playing a half dozen games in 2015, this was Harry Dear's 2016.

1 SANFL Competed relentlessly and deservedly booted four majors. -
2 SANFL Relatively quiet in attack. -
3 SANFL Kicked two goals and provided good forward pressure. -
4 SANFL Bye. -
5 SANFL A bit in and out but launched some nice Crows forward forays. -
6 SANFL Concussed in a head clash early and did not play after quarter-time. -
7 SANFL Booted two first-half majors. Steady overall. -
8 SANFL Bye. -
9 SANFL Kicked a goal but was quiet overall. -
10 SANFL Bye. -
11 SANFL Booted a goal but faded out in the second half. -
12 SANFL Presented well and kicked 1.2 but overshadowed by Lowden. -
13 SANFL Bye. -
14 SANFL Kicked one in the third term after not getting near it in the first half -
15 SANFL Nailed a career-best six goals. His strong workrate was rewarded. -
16 SANFL Maintained his rich form with three goals, nine marks as focal point. -
17 SANFL Never got a look in. -
18 SANFL On song all afternoon with three majors and some fine grabs. -
19 SANFL Got on the scoreboard and never stopped flying for marks. -
20 SANFL Bye. -
21 SANFL Presented nicely and kicked two goals. -
22 SANFL Booted two goals, including the game's first to get the ball rolling. -
23 SANFL Kicked a fourth-quarter major but was unsighted until then. -
EF SANFL A constant forward threat. Nailed four majors. -
SF SANFL Held goalless. Never looked like repeating his semi-final heroics. -

Great effort considering the makeup of our forward line with 3 genuine rucks in the side.

I am aware of Dunkley but does any draft guru know how many times it has happened over the last 5 years?

My impression is that about 90%+ go to the nominated club. I can't recall it ever happening under the earlier process when it was a set selection but it may have happened when you had to use your next selection after another club nominates the player. The wording of our statement seems to suggest that we have guaranteed to take him with one of our later picks but if he is nominated earlier it will be "thanks but no thanks".
To be fair, this is only the 2nd year under the current system.

I agree with your interpretation of the statement's wording.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/119356/Harry-DEAR

He presents well a lot of the time, but with our top heavy attack it was a bit hard in respect to opportunities. When he had that good run of form in the middle of the season it was when our forward line was a lot more open with him not having to fight with Lowden and Hunter and Ramsey in order to be the focal point. A lot of SANFL teams put a smaller than him but quick defender on him. He is very fast for his size, which people need to respect when playing on him. Always will contest the ball when it is around and he contests hard. Good tackler and smart in trying to make sure he doesn't give away a high tackle. Like Greenwood and Menzel he seems to have a desire to hurt the opposition when he has the opportunity. That's one of the things I like about him the most.

This is from last year and what isn't obvious is the turn of speed he does to turn that opponent inside out and then just power into the goal square. Watching that live it was very impressive.

His six goal haul against North

The camera work doesn't show that speed once again because it is following the ball but note the space he has on his opponent when he is marking the ball at a jog.

After playing a half dozen games in 2015, this was Harry Dear's 2016.

1 SANFL Competed relentlessly and deservedly booted four majors. -
2 SANFL Relatively quiet in attack. -
3 SANFL Kicked two goals and provided good forward pressure. -
4 SANFL Bye. -
5 SANFL A bit in and out but launched some nice Crows forward forays. -
6 SANFL Concussed in a head clash early and did not play after quarter-time. -
7 SANFL Booted two first-half majors. Steady overall. -
8 SANFL Bye. -
9 SANFL Kicked a goal but was quiet overall. -
10 SANFL Bye. -
11 SANFL Booted a goal but faded out in the second half. -
12 SANFL Presented well and kicked 1.2 but overshadowed by Lowden. -
13 SANFL Bye. -
14 SANFL Kicked one in the third term after not getting near it in the first half -
15 SANFL Nailed a career-best six goals. His strong workrate was rewarded. -
16 SANFL Maintained his rich form with three goals, nine marks as focal point. -
17 SANFL Never got a look in. -
18 SANFL On song all afternoon with three majors and some fine grabs. -
19 SANFL Got on the scoreboard and never stopped flying for marks. -
20 SANFL Bye. -
21 SANFL Presented nicely and kicked two goals. -
22 SANFL Booted two goals, including the game's first to get the ball rolling. -
23 SANFL Kicked a fourth-quarter major but was unsighted until then. -
EF SANFL A constant forward threat. Nailed four majors. -
SF SANFL Held goalless. Never looked like repeating his semi-final heroics. -

Great effort considering the makeup of our forward line with 3 genuine rucks in the side.
He looks like a great prospect considering his age. Pity about the forward structure being so tall, sounds like it might be cutting down his opportunities to practice his marking in games.

In the Final against Centrals he marked the ball in front of me and he gripped so hard I thought the ball would explode. Alas, on other occasions he drops easy marks. If we play him next year I guarantee that he will become some posters whipping boy because he looks very ordinary at times but his good is very, very good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back