• Patrick Cripps

• Zach Merrett

• Josh Kelly

• Rory Laird

• Matt Crouch

• Jack Billings

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Heading into 2021 the following group are currently coming out of contract at the end of next season and would be available as Free Agents. So what I want to know is if you could add just one, which one would it be?

Marcus Bontempelli 25 years old 145 games
Patrick Cripps 26 years old 118 games
Zac Merrett 25 years old 142 games
Joshua Kelly 26 years old 132 games
Rory Laird 27 years old 160 games
Matt Crouch 26 years old 125 games
Jack Billings 26 years old 126 games

Bont by so far it’s not funny for mine. Gun
Went Kelly, smooth moving inside/outside midfielder who can not only win his own footy, but can hurt teams with his ability to use it so well.

Heading into 2021 the following group are currently coming out of contract at the end of next season and would be available as Free Agents. So what I want to know is if you could add just one, which one would it be?

Marcus Bontempelli 25 years old 145 games
Patrick Cripps 26 years old 118 games
Zac Merrett 25 years old 142 games
Joshua Kelly 26 years old 132 games
Rory Laird 27 years old 160 games
Matt Crouch 26 years old 125 games
Jack Billings 26 years old 126 games
Just had a look on Footywire and all of these players are listed as RFA's next year. I'm a little confused though as Laird will have 10 years in and I thought players become FA's after 10.

Anyway, if they're all RFA's then I wouldn't like to trade for any of them. Bont, Kelly and Zerrett would all require 2 x 1st rounders at least.

To me the question is which if any would you take if their clubs match and demand both our first rounders (which very likely would happen with the first four players). If that's the equation my answer is none of them. If it's a free hit like Lynch then Bontempelli

Without additional details, it's the Bont for me... easily...

But in reality, when you look at what it may cost you etc. there are a couple of really nice options

Bont is my #1, best player on that list, and flexible enough to play additional roles within our flexible lineup
Kelly could be next best. The one area we ofter fall down with is delivery inside F50. Some of that is our game style, some is just poor disposal. I think he would easily improve our I50 scoring ratio
Laird would actually be next, Houli is close to finishing, and the fact we tried to make Ross a HBF suggests we are looking for other options. He's not super defensively, but he's not bad either, and would provide the run Houli gives plus more IMO
Cripps, love him as a footballer, but maybe just to one dimensional for us. If he could start playing key forward more then that might be a fit, but he is a horrendous set shot at goal... bloody good footballer, but maybe not best fit for us???

Out of the rest I may look at Billings, as I think he has talent that can be improved on, could be an upgrade on George or Rioli, but only if it cost minimum chips. I know Merrett is a good user, but he is as soft as it gets for an AFL footballer (which is still pretty tough). I have seen him shirk contests regularly, and that doesn't fit our gamestyle where we just throw everything at the contest to get the ball moving forward. Crouch is just a ball magnet with no damage, fits the tigers of 2012 not 2022.

To me the question is which if any would you take if their clubs match and demand both our first rounders (which very likely would happen with the first four players). If that's the equation my answer is none of them. If it's a free hit like Lynch then Bontempelli
Bont and Kelly I’d pay 2 x firsts (unless cats become cellar dwellers)

cripps maybe but I reckon he will burn out quick with that workload he has there.

the rest I wouldn’t even pay 1 first for

Bont and Kelly I’d pay 2 x firsts (unless cats become cellar dwellers)

cripps maybe but I reckon he will burn out quick with that workload he has there.

the rest I wouldn’t even pay 1 first for
Yes but can you imagine Dusty and Cripps in the same side? Cripps in the middle and Dusty in the forward line next to Lynch and Riewoldt (or his replacement if he retired). Would be a great looking side IMO.

Imagine the rotations savings we'd have if we had both Dusty & The Bont "interchanging" on the fwd line.
Its almost 3 firsts trade region.
2x 2021 & a future 1st.

2 first rounders in a superdraft for a player that barring injury will probably only give you four good years is highly problematical. It's a nice thought picturing that rotation, but 3 firsts would well and truly be selling the farm. I really hope we just stick to the draft.

2 first rounders in a superdraft for a player that barring injury will probably only give you four good years is highly problematical. It's a nice thought picturing that rotation, but 3 firsts would well and truly be selling the farm. I really hope we just stick to the draft.
I doubt very much the Bont would leave anyway.
But thats what it'll cost.
Cameron cost the Cats the 3 and i rate the Bont higher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bont by so far it’s not funny for mine. Gun

Yes !!

I agree Bont but reality is that we cannot afford any of them into our TPP is tight nd will be for the next 2-3 years at min
Dusty & Lynch's contracts are back ended and we have already gone all in.
We will be lucky to try and maintain our young players that will take the next step and most likely will lose 1-2

I doubt very much the Bont would leave anyway.
But thats what it'll cost.
Cameron cost the Cats the 3 and i rate the Bont higher.

I would hesitate in using what the Cats did with Cameron as a template for other trades. The fact that they traded 3 first rounders for a player that will be 28 next year hints of extreme desperation. A very aged list that some would argue is approaching a precipice and almost a decade of final appearances with nothing to show for it. The natives are restless at catland and anything less than a premiership would be considered a failure. In other words our success at their expense has driven them slightly insane. In stark contrast since we have become successful all our trading and drafting has been about the long term, it's like the club looked at Hawthorn as some kind of cautionary tale.

Anyhow it's all academic, the really good ones on this list we can't afford and the others we don't really need. But yeah you're right if we were going to splurge 3 first rounders on one of those players it would have to be the Bont.

If Carlton doesnt make the eight Cripps is out of their. That being the case we should chase ad it allowd Martin and Cripps to between tbe centre and full forward on rotation.

Cripps will be in yellow and black soon enough.

Back