You just had to be there - classic moments you missed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back in '84 I was in year 8. A guy in my class went to the Grand Final, but left at half time fearing another Hawthorn thrashing like the year before. (We were several goals down at half time)
I was fortunate enough to be there and witnessed the greatest last quarter Essendon has ever played.
That's the kind of decision that would haunt me on my deathbed.

Richmond vs Sydney last year.
Took my 15-year-old daughter to the game and at three quarter time with the Swans in front by 18 points I made an executive decision to leave and catch the 9.15pm train back to Marshall station which would get us home in Barwon Heads by 11pm instead of well after midnight.
I just couldn't see us winning.
We walked to Jolimont and Miss 15 was checking the scores. She says "Dad, we're in front".
"Bullshit" I said.
It was true.
The train was just pulling in. She said "We should go back".
I hesitated for a split second, but in the end we stepped onto the train. There was no going back now.
As we took our seats just in time on the 9.15pm train at Southern Cross, Sam Lloyd kicked the winning goal after the siren.
All just so we could get home before midnight. Had I been by myself, I would have stayed.
I have never forgiven myself and it served me right for leaving early.

Missed the 2015 Grand Final due to a friend's wedding (who does that, seriously?)

In retrospect it was a good move, but if we won I would've been pretty pissed at my friend for daring to schedule his nuptials on Grand Final day. It was a short engagement so I suspect he saw that the weekend was surprisingly cheap and available and booked it in without doing the research.
I hope he's not your mate any more.

Or maybe he's your best mate.

Was at the game was Adam Goodes pointed to that child in the crowd, but I left before that happened. Pretty sure it was a freezing Saturday night and I decided to meet up with some friends instead.

Richmond vs Sydney last year.
Took my 15-year-old daughter to the game and at three quarter time with the Swans in front by 18 points I made an executive decision to leave and catch the 9.15pm train back to Marshall station which would get us home in Barwon Heads by 11pm instead of well after midnight.
I just couldn't see us winning.
We walked to Jolimont and Miss 15 was checking the scores. She says "Dad, we're in front".
"Bullshit" I said.
It was true.
The train was just pulling in. She said "We should go back".
I hesitated for a split second, but in the end we stepped onto the train. There was no going back now.
As we took our seats just in time on the 9.15pm train at Southern Cross, Sam Lloyd kicked the winning goal after the siren.
All just so we could get home before midnight. Had I been by myself, I would have stayed.
I have never forgiven myself and it served me right for leaving early.

Oooooh, jeez, that one burns.

Andrew Walker's mark against Essendon in 2011. Had tickets to the game, always get excited for big games especially when Carlton was actually in the 8. My old man had a heart attack on the Thursday night and was recovering on the Saturday night when the game was. Still could have gone but didn't really feel like it and went to the movies instead.

Walked out of the cinema to see Judd and Betts had dominated, then got home and turned on the TV with Channel 10 showing Walker's mark multiple times.

Australia vs Netherlands, 2014 WC. Watching at a pub in Perth.

20 minutes in, Robben scores. "Vell, thish ish s**t", me says and goes off for a quick slash. Was gone all of about 40 seconds and I hear a massive roar and it's 1-1. Cahill has kicked the goal of his life.
Went to the 1st Melbourne derby this year. Guy next to me was too busy looking at his phone and completely missed Cahill scoring the 2nd best goal of his life

Andrew Walker's mark against Essendon in 2011. Had tickets to the game, always get excited for big games especially when Carlton was actually in the 8. My old man had a heart attack on the Thursday night and was recovering on the Saturday night when the game was. Still could have gone but didn't really feel like it and went to the movies instead.

Walked out of the cinema to see Judd and Betts had dominated, then got home and turned on the TV with Channel 10 showing Walker's mark multiple times.
Well if it makes you feel any better I did go

I missed the best ending to an Eagles game ever, because I was travelling. Woke up near the end of the match, didn't have time to search for a place to watch it so just decided to follow the scores. How good could it be anyway?

So I was sitting refreshing the AFL app on my iPad at a London Starbucks, just looking at the scores because I wasn't going to pay for the international pass, following the Eagles board game thread on my phone, trying to work out what the hell was happening when I saw:

"HIGH TACKLE SELWOOD"
"NAAAAAAIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAA"
"NO ******* WAY"
"BRAD SCOTT WEEK ENDS IN SPECTACULAR FASHION"

I tried unsuccessfully to remain calm, searching frantically for a video to see what happened. Couldn't find one so I decided to calm down by doing the most boring thing in England, the London Eye, for an hour to get the blood pressure back down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasnt a member back then so I'd always jump at opportunity of a school friend offering me tickets to a Freo game. Always went and we always lost. The one time I had the flu and mum wouldn't let me go so I had to miss out on my friend's ticket which ended up being the Longmuir after the siren goal against St Kilda game :(

Jetta v Rioli 2012 GF
My mum being introduced to Capper a couple of years ago outside the MCG was pretty funny, no idea if the bloke was loaded before the game but he was certainly on another level

He stood on Carlisle's head, who is about 7 ft tall...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back