Preview Your Best 22 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes and Jonty Sharenberg got runner up at Glenelg, and he actually isnt good enough for the AFL along with Grigg winning the magaery, actually how did he go in the B and F the previous year when he was cut?
Indeed, some players can go up to the next level & others can't.

Would you have preferred if Doedee had a poor year in the SANFL? Btw, I can't recall Grigg polling well at Doedee's age.

Still avoiding the question I see...

Doedees game was like all his SANFL games have been he does some good stuff and bad, he doesnt have a lot of attacking flair, like Kelly Brown, Talia, and Harto in our backline already
No attacking flair?

Well I guess we will find out this year when he plays...

Who would you play in our backline this year, to have enough attacking flair?

No attacking flair?

Well I guess we will find out this year when he plays...

Who would you play in our backline this year, to have enough attacking flair?

Hampton, Milera, Gibbs, Douglass Kelly Hampton keath Talia Brown laird Otten Gibson Doedee would be the players I would run through the backline, Doedee would be the player who gets least game time, being a player that has never played in the big league and will undoutadly be managed

Good point.

Lever really enjoyed playing the loose man role (not so much the 1:1 man on man) & we have Kelly, Hartigan (& Cheney) in addition to Doedee who are all capable of rotating through this role, depending on matchups.
Watch the Essendon game where Daniher and Booker tore Lever apart to see how he goes one on one.

I do wonder if Pyke was showing Lever what it will be like if he left us and does not have Talia and Hartigan to support him. Probably not and just a case of a match up change as Daniher moved in and out of Ruck and Hooker is a bit if a swingman.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

A lot?

2 - Gibbs & Gibson, who I see more as depth than 1st 22.
Cameron (23 yo) out
Lever (21 yo) out

Gibbs (29 yo) in
Gibson (31 yo) in
Keath (26 yo) in
Greenwood (26 yo ) in

What's that ? .....close enough to a 20 % influx

Cameron (23 yo) out
Lever (21 yo) out

Gibbs (29 yo) in
Gibson (31 yo) in
Keath (26 yo) in
Greenwood (26 yo ) in

What's that ? .....close enough to a 20 % influx
Keath & Greenwood were already on the Crows list.

Ps. Thompson is an out, so we replaced 1 player over 30 with another over 30.

Also, experience is needed to win flags.

Keath & Greenwood were already on the Crows list.
yes, but my discussion with Marty was about the team in 2018 being inexperienced ....plus both Keath & Greenwood were only added to the list after the first 3rd of last season, thus increasing our ave age

Doedees game was like all his SANFL games have been he does some good stuff and bad, he doesnt have a lot of attacking flair, like Kelly Brown, Talia, and Harto in our backline already

Wrong on the bolded. Both Kelly and Brown have attacking flair, if allowed by the system to display it!

Brown showed great goalkicking prowess when leaving his opponent last year, and Kelly showed on Thursday what he can do if allowed off the leash.

Agreed that neither Talia nor Harto should be allowed to kick the ball, however.

yes, but my discussion with Marty was about the team in 2018 being inexperienced ....plus both Keath & Greenwood were only added to the list after the first 3rd of last season, thus increasing our ave age
Huh, Keath & Greenwood were already on our list & played games in 2017, so you can't claim them as ins?

Out.
Thompson 35
Cameron 23
Lever 22
Wigg 21
Other young rookies

In
Gibson 31
Gibbs 29
Wilson 23
Murphy 19
Forgerty 18
McPherson 18
Edwards 18

Only a net of 1 older player.

Huh, Keath & Greenwood were already on our list & played games in 2017, so you can't claim them as ins?

Out.
Thompson 35
Cameron 23
Lever 22
Wigg 21
Other young rookies

In
Gibson 31
Gibbs 29
Wilson 23
Murphy 19
Forgerty 18
McPherson 18
Edwards 18

Only a net of 1 older player.
Talking technicalities ......start of 2018 v start of 2017 .....and talking realistically the top 22 players, rather than the list

Talking technicalities ......start of 2018 v start of 2017 .....and talking realistically the top 22 players, rather than the list
Sure, but it's not like our list is massively older than last year.

Sure, but it's not like our list is massively older than last year.
No not massively .....just a small concern, particularly as i expressed my views of bringing in yet another older player, like a McGovern ......i want sustained success, rather than a fleeting shot, then have to rebuild ..this is the path IMO Geelong are treading, all or nothing

No not massively .....just a small concern, particularly as i expressed my views of bringing in yet another older player, like a McGovern ......i want sustained success, rather than a fleeting shot, then have to rebuild ..this is the path IMO Geelong are treading, all or nothing

You are living in dreamland if you want sustained success that is the crows already they are always up there

I want a flag then rebuild

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see it as a problem as not many on our list are over 30 or close to retirement.

The core of our team will be around for years.

Most of our forward line apart from Cameron is still intact from last season.

Betts output may dip.
Tex struggled with injury last year at times too, so output likely to be similar.
JJ & Lynch should produce similar output.
Gov should improve significantly as a key factor.

Then it's a question of our pressure forward/midfielders. CC was inconsistent & ordinary for most of last season. Knight & Hampton were inconsistent too. I can't see the 2018 Knight, Hampton & Gallucci providing significantly less output.

Imo, our 2018 forward line will be similar to last season as the core is the same, barring injury.

Out defence imo may be weaker, more to do with the loss of Smith than Lever... but losing 2 experienced players & likely replacing with 2 inexperienced players Milera & Doedee... unless we move Douglas back or the Seed steps up. Far more question marks over our defence.

Midfield will be stronger for Gibbs inclusion & most of our midfield group still have upside.
I see the forward line differently , already has question marks in big games . Even the Geelong win at home in minor round the forward line failed to fire

JJ - general decline and not good enough in big games

Tex - decline due to injuries and speed of game
Betts - decline due to age
Cameron - gone
McGovern - massive upside if he can get over his questionable hamstrings

Knight - injuries holding him back

Lynch - has peaked , can he maintain it

Galluci / Murphy/ Hampton - in order of preference . All unproven

Keath - potential bonus

Just as important is whether the structure is suitable to modern day game , I see changes if we are to improve

Backline - hoping Milera , Douglas and potentially Gibbs can cover half back until smith gets back which he will IMO

Doedee and Cheney in mix for Levers intercept role . Downgrade yes but by how much

Talia to bounce back and the others to hold ground or improve

Mids look good with Gibbs in and Atkins further upside especially in big games - can improve

Gibson solid depth or better and tag option

Sloane better equipped for tag and Gibbs takes heat off him

Greenwood to improve with better endurance ( plenty of run in his legs from Jan to season starting )

Matt Crouch - close to peak but all reports are he's getting better and fitter year on year

Brad - if can get over his body issues has upside but has question marks on his body . Should at least hold ground

Betts, Gibbs, Tex, Jacobs, Mackay ....maybe 2-3 years
i think we have planned well on terms of age profile of list . Premiership window now equals need to be in more experienced bracket - tick

4 picks in top 40 ish in quality 2018 draft following fog/ mcpherson is 6 hopefully high grade draftees to come through in next batch to help regenerate list

Betts, Gibbs, Tex, Jacobs, Mackay ....maybe 2-3 years
Betts still has 3 year contract.
Gibbs just signed a 4 year contract.
Walker I think has 3 years of his contract left & many more years left in him.
Jacobs I think has 2 years left & no where near retirement.

It's not like our list is like the Cats or Hawks were with a stack of players over 30 in need replacing....

Guess again. Griggy came third in the magarey when he was 20.
Ok, happy to be proved wrong... So I'll revert back to my precious post, where not all players make the step from sanfl to afl... particularly when their attitude is poor. Doedee is far more professional than Grigg!

I see the forward line differently , already has question marks in big games . Even the Geelong win at home in minor round the forward line failed to fire

Cameron - gone

Keath - potential bonus

Just as important is whether the structure is suitable to modern day game , I see changes if we are to improve

Backline - hoping Milera , Douglas and potentially Gibbs can cover half back until smith gets back which he will IMO

Doedee and Cheney in mix for Levers intercept role . Downgrade yes but by how much

Mids look good with Gibbs in and Atkins further upside especially in big games - can improve

Greenwood to improve with better endurance ( plenty of run in his legs from Jan to season starting )

Matt Crouch - close to peak but all reports are he's getting better and fitter year on year

Brad - if can get over his body issues has upside but has question marks on his body . Should at least hold ground

Agree with most of what you said but the worrying thing is tex and Betts they are absolute superstars of the comp how hard will they be too replace

Unproven players are

Keath
Hampton
Doedee
Galluci
Milera
Murphy

Will any of them make 150 games it’s too early to call

Cameron - gone

Keath - potential bonus

We outscored the next best team last season by more than 3 goals!

The only player we have lost from last season up forward is the inconsistent Cameron, whom we do have replacements for who are not too different in output.

There is no good reason why our forward line will perform significantly worse & thinking most of our core players will suddenly decline is just pessimism without good reason imo.

Agree with most of what you said but the worrying thing is tex and Betts they are absolute superstars of the comp how hard will they be too replace

Unproven players are

Keath
Hampton
Doedee
Galluci
Milera
Murphy

Will any of them make 150 games it’s too early to call

Betts & Tex won't be retiring in the next couple of years, so we have time to replace them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back