Your clubs lowest point?

Remove this Banner Ad

1993 - I was only 5, but I still remember the depressing trips to Waverley to watch us get flogged in bone-chilling wind. We only won once that year, against Melbourne at the G, and I still remember the amazing feeling after we got a win. Other than that, it was a depressing, heart-wrenching period where I thought my beloved Swannies were gonna die. I used to be ashamed to wear my Swannies jumper to the local footy club because I'd always cop s**t from the kids.

Thankfully, it's all been rosy since then. I think we're the only club that hasn't really bottomed out in the last 15 years.

Adelaide say hi :thumbsu:

I think after the 06 PF. Up by 22 at half time, at home and lose to our bogey side, the Eagles

After dominating the H + A in 05/06, not even a GF to show for it

1999. Remember being the laughing stock of the competition, had a dud list with only a few stars, but from then on you could see the gradual improvement, and that's why last year meant so much because I could remember the pain I felt 11 years ago.

Thankfully, it's all been rosy since then. I think we're the only club that hasn't really bottomed out in the last 15 years.

Looking back through the ladder positions, the other club who can claim this is the Crows.

Also North and Port until basically this last year or two.

2008 was the absolute pits of hell for Melbourne. Just can't describe the pain we went through that year.

We've had plenty of other shocking times, but 2008 tops them all.

2001. Club could easily have folded at that point, there were few reasons for survival. Still the worst season since Fitzroy's last.

2001 was a devastatingly low period for the club. Maybe it was my young naivety at the time however but I was still optimistic about the future. We had a lot of close games, we just couldn’t get over the line. We couldn’t win games. We were missing Bell for most of the year but there was something exciting about Haselby, Pav, Longmuir and to a lesser extent Brown..

The biggest low point for me was round 8, 2008 against Melbourne.

With one of, if not the oldest list in the AFL, we had only won one game for the year playing against the struggling Demons who hadn’t looked like winning a game yet. Up by 50 points early in the 3rd Quarter we gave up the un-losable..

I was devastated. We looked at least another 6 years away with an ageing list and little young talent bar Palmer and Mayne. I just thought we were always going to be doomed as a club, it sounds silly but I thought maybe we were jinxed. That we were going to be the basket case of the AFL for a long long time. We still haven’t made it yet but in a short period we have changed things dramatically and things are looking brighter. People were questioning Harvey’s ability much like they are starting to with Primus. Give him some time, he can’t change things over night.

Looking back through the ladder positions, the other club who can claim this is the Crows.

Not sure if a worst season of 7-14-1 since 1982 and no fewer than 4 sides ever below us on the table since 1986 decree that Geelong has also never bottomed out. We have had some diabolical finishes to seasons, namely 1983 where we went from 4-0, then 7-6 to 8-14...coupled with successive 14-goal hidings to the Bombers and Hawks in the last two rounds.

1986 was a glum year, having lost Toohey, Williams and Bolton (plus coach Hafey) to the Swans, a decision that may well have cost us flags in subsequent seasons. That year we started 0-5 and looked hopeless.

But the late 90's and early 2000's were probably the worst. From late 1998 when we started losing home games hand over fist to every interstate side going round, 1999 we lost Colbert to injury, then he left to the Kangas, and 2001 that last game against the Blues was quite embarrasing as it did look like we went the knuckle and were thrashed on field miserably. We also could not really get anyone to come to our club as a recruit, we missed out (in retrospect thankfully) on Jade Rawlings and even Ray Hall who rejecyed our advances down the highway.

The loss in Rd 2 2004 to the Blues was ghastly, and we were 1-4 at one stage that year. Suddenly we clicked, and managed to win every game in Victoria until the preliminary final. Our good year encouraged Brad Ottens to come to our club, our biggest name recruit for ages, and thus our successful chapter begun.

Freo also managed to turn a 0-17 start to 2001 and a 2-20 season all up inro a finals appearance in 2003, so to the lowe clubs now, it can and does change fairly quickly if you can get things happening.

Our wooden spoon pales in comparison to when we played Judd and Carlton for the first time in 2008

Conceeded something like 10 goals in the 2nd quarter - Judd ran riot - never been so embarassed as a supporter

2008 was just horrific the whole way through, I thought we would be easily top 4. Another low-light was being belted by 100+ by Geelong at Subiaco and they more than doubled our possession count. Sad times indeed

St. Kilda didn't win a game from 1897-1900, but I still think there were two periods worse then that.

The end of 1986. Borderline bankrupt and IIRC Lindsay Fox left the role as presedent that year. Thankfully, Darrell Baldock became our coach and we had some great youngseters in Lockett, Winmar, Burke, Harvey and Lowe.

After 2000. Wooden spoon number 26, the mass exodus of our board, coach Tim Watson gone, I belive that was the beggining of our current team, getting Hamill, Voss, Gehrig, Riewoldt, Kosi and others, new board with Rod Butters, and Malcolm Blight as coach, followed by Grant Thomas.

I was probably too young to remember 2001 that well so 2008/09 is probably the worst point I've experienced. The 1.7.13 game against Adelaide was so bad it was almost laughable. But when it comes to games I try to forget it's the one in 2008 against Melbourne. We were something like 50 or 60 points in front at half time and somehow managed to lose it... Never felt so terrible in my life! (in regards to football of course)

I'm pretty sure 2008 was the year where Freo was always in front by the 3rd quarter yet somehow managed to lose the game in the end. There were about 6 or 7 games in a row which we lost after the 3rd quarter..And it all started when Pav hit the post in the last few seconds against Geelong!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

End of 07, right after Judd and Cousins left.
Mainy too :(
And after what started as a fantastic season only to be screwed by injuries and ending up going out in straight sets, losing the most heartbreaking game i've ever witnessed to Collingwood in extra time.
The second half of 2007 was just Murphy's law in action, not sure the club could ever top it.
Makes me feel like s**t just thinking about it.

For me personally, 2005/06 was the low point. Absolute failure of seasons after so much promise.

Oh and the first loss to Port last year, when their supporters were waving spoons at us and it seemed like they had a point.

However this season could well make a run at it at this rate.

14th is our lowest ever result. We may beat that this year.

The Tony Shaw years, including some truly bizarre field placings/plays, something like starting the game with no forwards and rushing like it was American Football. When our playbook was stolen and nothing of value was lost.... We were a laughing stock and people felt pity instead of hatred. Makes the current arrogance and swagger very sweet remembering those humble days. Just sad that Buckley was playing then instead of now.

The merger times. That game against Melbourne was the most emotional I have ever seen, easily beats GF's.

October - November 2009 Voss screwing up the list, Bowers screwing up the Lion.

2010 was a depressing year to be a Lions fan but at least it didn't really feel like I was supporting the same team.

2006 was also pretty depressing and the end of 2008 when we snatched so many defeats from the jaws of victory.

I did not really follow Footy in the Tony Shaw Coaching time so I would say 2004-2005 after we lost those 2 GF we started to go down hill in 2004 and 2005 where we finshed 2nd Last and late in the seasons I wanted us to lose(Even Against Carlton) to get the Priority Pick.

Though we got Daisy and Pendles after that Draft and we gone from a Joke where we where getting 100+ Pts Floggings from Freo to winning the Flag 5 years later:thumbsu:

The Rohde years.

Tempted to say any time in the 90's when we were nearly dead as a club, but I look at those times as triumphs over adversity, not as our lowest points.

The Rohde years only good thing was netting us Cooney and Griffen.

Now he's with us, hmmm funny about that!

2007 GF surely tops them all. I and the club are still having therapy sessions over that one. Not too worried about Saturday's disgraceful game as Geelong were our first scalp and they seem to have done alright since. You just got to laugh and suck it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back