Your Favourite 10 wins of the 2010s

Remove this Banner Ad

As a few have mentioned above, the Adelaide game under the roof in 2011 came straight to mind. Daisy's barrel and Krakouer's screamer, what a comeback!

Another was the big comeback against North in the pouring rain and cold, Sunday arvo at the 'G in 2015 (I think?!)

I'd need some more thinking music to come up with the rest

On the forgettable wins list - the Friday night against Freo when it felt like -10 degrees, and we eked out a stodgy win in an overall shocker. I should forget that but haven't...
I'll raise you an even worse win and it took place one week later when we beat Carlton by 12 points with a final scoreline of 57-45. It's very memorable because it was on the night of the federal election. It was Jack Silvagni's long awaited and much anticipated debut and he had no impact whatsoever which was nice. Despite never building a game winning lead or ever looking like kicking on and snagging a few goals in succession, it was weirdly a game that I reckon most felt we were never going to lose.

I tell you one thing I fondly look back on from that awful 2016 campaign of ours and that was Ben Sinclair playing career best footy as a dashing half-back/wing. But then he missed all of 2017 through injury and never played again. I reckon he would have been a great contributor in our current side.

I'll raise you an even worse win and it took place one week later when we beat Carlton by 12 points with a final scoreline of 57-45. It's very memorable because it was on the night of the federal election. It was Jack Silvagni's long awaited and much anticipated debut and he had no impact whatsoever which was nice. Despite never building a game winning lead or ever looking like kicking on and snagging a few goals in succession, it was weirdly a game that I reckon most felt we were never going to lose.

I tell you one thing I fondly look back on from that awful 2016 campaign of ours and that was Ben Sinclair playing career best footy as a dashing half-back/wing. But then he missed all of 2017 through injury and never played again. I reckon he would have been a great contributor in our current side.
I raise you queens birthday 2014. Final score of 61-28. I think Clinton young got Brownlow votes :drunk:

Enjoyable reading, some great games, thanks guys.

Just outside the date range, but I've never forgotten round 15 2009 versus the Dogs at Etihad. We only got up by a point in a very tense finish, but we pounded them in the first three quarters before taking our foot off the peddle, and they were a very good side. And - dare I say - I recall a young Dayne Beams standing up that night in the difficult last quarter.

The Pies fans went mad after the siren. A group formed a circle outside the ground, singing the song and chanting.

I went home that night for the first time in years, convinced we had the makings of a premiership team. Said to my mate ‘there’s a flag in that side’. It took another year, but that night was one of the building blocks. Like the game against Geelong in 2008, when you could see how good we were becoming. The stars were aligning.

Just outside the date range, but I've never forgotten round 15 2009 versus the Dogs at Etihad. We only got up by a point in a very tense finish, but we pounded them in the first three quarters before taking our foot off the peddle, and they were a very good side. And - dare I say - I recall a young Dayne Beams standing up that night in the difficult last quarter.

The Pies fans went mad after the siren. A group formed a circle outside the ground, singing the song and chanting.

I went home that night for the first time in years, convinced we had the makings of a premiership team. Said to my mate ‘there’s a flag in that side’. It took another year, but that night was one of the building blocks. Like the game against Geelong in 2008, when you could see how good we were becoming. The stars were aligning.

Then week after we beat the Weagles by 100pts

Then week after we beat the Weagles by 100pts
Definitely not. We only played the Eagles once in 2009, in Perth. I remember it vividly as it was Tarkyn Lockyer’s 200th and Leon Davis has a blinder.

Unless you’re thinking of 2008 after the Geelong game - think we smacked the Eagles around in Melbourne that year? Also belted the suitcase out of them at Etihad in 2010 when Blair debuted and Didak kicked three goals in about a minute of game time.

One I always like is Round 2, 2013. Collingwood v Carlton.

Mick‘s first game against us. Jolly went down early, enter the Q-Stick. 10 points down at three quarter time then a 7-3 goal final quarter and we run out 17 point winners.

One I always like is Round 2, 2013. Collingwood v Carlton.

Mick‘s first game against us. Jolly went down early, enter the Q-Stick. 10 points down at three quarter time then a 7-3 goal final quarter and we run out 17 point winners.

The last good game Q-Stick played for us

2010 Replay GF

2018 Prelim

2010 Prelim

2011 Prelim

2011 Game vs Adelaide

2015 Comeback vs Norf

Is it Grundy? It's GRUNDY!!!

Anzac Day 2012/14 hard to pick one

First game against Crows in 2018 Stevo announced himself and we came out of the wilderness as well.

The game against West Coast in Perth in 2019.

I've only been to maybe 10-15 games in the last 15 years (2 of them were with a Richmond member. The first one was an absolutely woeful game against St Kilda in, I think, 2017. The 2nd one was a game against Geelong late in the 2018 season. Richmond fans were so confident at the time they seemed utterly disinterested in the game, even when Geelong came right back to within a goal late)

I went to this Bulldogs game with my Dad. I would've been 21 at the time. We were on the ground floor right up the back with all the ferals (I mean that mostly in a good way!). Everyone was yelling and swearing and into the game and I dropped an F-bomb a few times only to get a deadly glare from my old man each time. If I was 14 and we were up in the stands at a day game surrounded by kids I'd understand, but my F-bombs were completely drowned out in a sea of hundreds of fellow Pies supporters around me all yelling and cursing up a storm, (and I'm sorry, but I'm an adult now so you can't pull rank anymore. I paid for my ticket). So I just waved my hand at him dismissively on the 3rd occasion and found a spot about 10 feet away to stand with other fans to enjoy the rest of the game. I chewed him out afterwards, and he begrudgingly conceded that it was uncalled for for him to do.

Am I ever gonna talk about the actual game ffs? Yes, sorry. So I actually don't have a ton of memories from this game. I mainly remember the general atmosphere and how enjoyable it was. There was one great moment, where I forget who it was, but one of our players got on his own out the back from the Bulldogs forward line and just streamed down the open ground while Akermanis gave chase right up the ground and he couldn't catch him. Anyone know who which Pies player that was?

So like I said previously, I was standing right up the back on the ground floor where it was 99.9 % Pies supporters. There must've been some sort of function room/members area or maybe even just the food and drink area behind us where some corporate schmuck-looking Bulldogs supporters in their business suits (maybe 3 or 4 of them) sauntered on over, almost directly behind us when the Bulldogs made their big comeback late. They weren't outright saying anything to bait us, but they were definitely trying to make their presence known. So the final siren goes and the city boys immediately turn away and have a tantrum. One threw his beer down and another ripped off his scarf and just piffed it. They turned back as they were walking away while myself and about a dozen other Pies supporters all leaned forward towards them and clapped loudly at them. It was glorious! On that final siren everyone was united, jumping up and down, throwing their arms around each other and giving high-fives. It was f'ing great!

I've only been to maybe 10-15 games in the last 15 years (2 of them were with a Richmond member. The first one was an absolutely woeful game against St Kilda in, I think, 2017. The 2nd one was a game against Geelong late in the 2018 season. Richmond fans were so confident at the time they seemed utterly disinterested in the game, even when Geelong came right back to within a goal late)

I went to this Bulldogs game with my Dad. I would've been 21 at the time. We were on the ground floor right up the back with all the ferals (I mean that mostly in a good way!). Everyone was yelling and swearing and into the game and I dropped an F-bomb a few times only to get a deadly glare from my old man each time. If I was 14 and we were up in the stands at a day game surrounded by kids I'd understand, but my F-bombs were completely drowned out in a sea of hundreds of fellow Pies supporters around me all yelling and cursing up a storm, (and I'm sorry, but I'm an adult now so you can't pull rank anymore. I paid for my ticket). So I just waved my hand at him dismissively on the 3rd occasion and found a spot about 10 feet away to stand with other fans to enjoy the rest of the game. I chewed him out afterwards, and he begrudgingly conceded that it was uncalled for for him to do.

Am I ever gonna talk about the actual game ffs? Yes, sorry. So I actually don't have a ton of memories from this game. I mainly remember the general atmosphere and how enjoyable it was. There was one great moment, where I forget who it was, but one of our players got on his own out the back from the Bulldogs forward line and just streamed down the open ground while Akermanis gave chase right up the ground and he couldn't catch him. Anyone know who which Pies player that was?

So like I said previously, I was standing right up the back on the ground floor where it was 99.9 % Pies supporters. There must've been some sort of function room/members area or maybe even just the food and drink area behind us where some corporate schmuck-looking Bulldogs supporters in their business suits (maybe 3 or 4 of them) sauntered on over, almost directly behind us when the Bulldogs made their big comeback late. They weren't outright saying anything to bait us, but they were definitely trying to make their presence known. So the final siren goes and the city boys immediately turn away and have a tantrum. One threw his beer down and another ripped off his scarf and just piffed it. They turned back as they were walking away while myself and about a dozen other Pies supporters all leaned forward towards them and clapped loudly at them. It was glorious! On that final siren everyone was united, jumping up and down, throwing their arms around each other and giving high-fives. It was f'ing great!
I suspect you would be talking about Alan Toovey!:

1581408931561.png

You can see the team lineups here: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2009/040720090710.html

Last edited:
Just misses the cut, but the 2009 semi comeback against the Crows was epic. Was at the game surrounded by Crows supporters who were talking about getting prelim tickets at halftime. Distinctly remember just waiting for Jack Anthonys reaction when he took the kick to win it virtually instead of watching the ball. Magnificent

2010 premiership.

Not really much else to get excited about.

The prelim that year

The prelim 2011 which amounted to nothing

2018 Prelim which amounted to nothing

2019 QF which amounted to nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finals games aside, for some reason the game against North in 2015 sticks out for me. They were a good side at the time and comprehensively outplayed us in the first half. Think their lead at HT was six or seven goals but given the conditions was worth significantly more. We came out in the third and put on a nine goal quarter in the wet to lead at 3QT. It pissed down the entire last quarter and they threw everything they had and more at us but eventually we were able to kill their fightback with a couple of goals in red time to win by 17.

The drubbing we handed out to Port Adelaide in round 1 of 2011 warms my heart. Krakouer’s first game for us. Was going to say in the black & white, but he played for Swan Districts the year before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back