Opinion Your preferred premier - Hawthorn or Fremantle

Who is your preferred premiership team, besides Geelong?

• Hawthorn

Votes: 40 18.3%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 43 19.6%
  • Sydney

Votes: 22 10.0%
  • Richmond

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Carlton

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • Anyone except Hawthorn

Votes: 38 17.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Generally speaking there's very rarely a big discrepancy between Grand Final opponents in terms of pressure. The occasion tends to make things pretty even. With that in mind, I think the Hawks will monster the Dockers, who lack the requisite class to win. I'm tipping a 30-40 point margin.

i heard a rumour that when hawthorn win the grand final, travis varcoe will be presenting them with the cup.
Watching the last throws of this GF and I must say...we certainly let 2013 slip between our fingers.
We played blokes like Varcoe hoping they would hit their straps. This is always a bad strategy as he just never got going and it hurt us towards the end of the season and in the finals when the heat was on.

This is a simple fact in footy: If you play Favorites and not reward form then it is inevitable that it'll come back and bite.

Watching the last throws of this GF and I must say...we certainly let 2013 slip between our fingers.
We played blokes like Varcoe hoping they would hit their straps. This is always a bad strategy as he just never got going and it hurt us towards the end of the season and in the finals when the heat was on.

This is a simple fact in footy: If you play Favorites and not reward form then it is inevitable that it'll come back and bite.

This.

Spent the whole match thinking how we should be in this and could likely have won it :(

The Courage of Lassie movie was more interesting than this game and then Hawthorn nearly choked.
It was a little average. I'm sure the Dawks supporters thought it was great! But we all know the GF was last week.

This.

Spent the whole match thinking how we should be in this and could likely have won it :(

I was actually thinking, had we actually gone over the line against Freo, we would have had a good chance of winning this. Especially seeing Hawthorn's form. This Freo team didn't look like the same team that won against us at all.

I was actually thinking, had we actually gone over the line against Freo, we would have had a good chance of winning this. Especially seeing Hawthorn's form. This Freo team didn't look like the same team that won against us at all.
They are a typical Ross Lyon team...hard nosed, with just a little class here and there, but overall just better than average. If I recall correctly, they are like the poor cousin of St.Kilda when Lyon was in charge of them...though I rate that St.Kilda side higher than Freo.

They are a typical Ross Lyon team...hard nosed, with just a little class here and there, but overall just better than average. If I recall correctly, they are like the poor cousin of St.Kilda when Lyon was in charge of them...though I rate that St.Kilda side higher than Freo.

I guess that really explains why I have a hard time appreciating any of his teams...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Off you go flog arse Freo supporters who respected no one.
Crowley and Co, dirty losers, Lyons rigor mortis flop coach.
Just enough chances to inflict a little extra losing pain
on yourselves.

If we won either match we would have been a good chance, although I wouldn't have been surprised if Freo played better against us than they did today against the Hawks if only because they'd probably have a bit more self belief.

Yep spot on, I've been saying the same thing all year. The style Lyon coached teams play means that less skill is required but more discipline and effort are needed in comparison to normal, and when the opposing team on GF day are giving it absolutely everything they have as well the fact that they have skill ends up being the decisive factor.

Before the game, I almost changed my position on this game. Pav is an absolute adornment to the game (his speech after the game was supremely classy) and champions like him truly deserve to experience the glory that comes with winning premierships, it'd be nice to see the most senior club yet to win a premiership crack their drought before the expansion teams pass them by; and that although Crowley & Ballantyne are irredeemably cheap & nasty snipers who demean the very spirit of the game by sucking the oxygen clean out of it, much the same could be said of Guerra & Lewis.

So come game time, I had drifted to a position approaching neutrality, and was just hoping for a good game.

That lasted right up to the point early in the first quarter when Suban tried to tear open a cat-flap in Mitchell's left cheek while hidden from view at the bottom of a pack (a nasty and gutless assault), and I thought to myself: who am I kidding? Ross Lyon football will always be Ross Lyon football (read: "an utter affront to the spirit of all that our great game means"), and I swung back behind the far lesser of two evils.

So what we got was Ross Lyon football dragging the spectacle down (even Sam Mitchell admitted that it would have been an ugly game to watch), reducing to the same level of drudgery that hasn't been seen since .... mmmm, let me see now .... the last GF that he coached.

And Ross's own peculiar brand of fugly footy has now failed to actually win a Grand Final in 4 attempts. Justice has been served! Ross lost, Ballantyne choked big time, and Crowley got out-thugged - all in all a very reasonable result imo.

Now we'll have to put up with Hawk posters on BF. Brace yourselves!

They're ok on their board and the main board.
You gotta stay away from that trash board- I have never ventured there, but it sounds like you're asking for trouble.

Dear Ross

Your game plan totally sucks and has been exposed for the failure it truly is - it doesn't succeed in the final analysis of the game's purpose. i.e. to win premierships. 0 from 4 attempts says it all. For the sake of footy how about trying a plan where goals are scored (rather than "stopped"). Then people might actually enjoy watching your team play... :rolleyes: You are promoting fugly football and got what you deserved... :(

Before the game, I almost changed my position on this game. Pav is an absolute adornment to the game (his speech after the game was supremely classy) and champions like him truly deserve to experience the glory that comes with winning premierships, it'd be nice to see the most senior club yet to win a premiership crack their drought before the expansion teams pass them by; and that although Crowley & Ballantyne are irredeemably cheap & nasty snipers who demean the very spirit of the game by sucking the oxygen clean out of it, much the same could be said of Guerra & Lewis.

So come game time, I had drifted to a position approaching neutrality, and was just hoping for a good game.

That lasted right up to the point early in the first quarter when Suban tried to tear open a cat-flap in Mitchell's left cheek while hidden from view at the bottom of a pack (a nasty and gutless assault), and I thought to myself: who am I kidding? Ross Lyon football will always be Ross Lyon football (read: "an utter affront to the spirit of all that our great game means"), and I swung back behind the far lesser of two evils.

So what we got was Ross Lyon football dragging the spectacle down (even Sam Mitchell admitted that it would have been an ugly game to watch), reducing to the same level of drudgery that hasn't been seen since .... mmmm, let me see now .... the last GF that he coached.

And Ross's own peculiar brand of fugly footy has now failed to actually win a Grand Final in 4 attempts. Justice has been served! Ross lost, Ballantyne choked big time, and Crowley got out-thugged - all in all a very reasonable result imo.

Re the Suban thing, you would think that Ross,what with all his failed trips to the GF, would remember is that there are a whole lot more cameras on the play and that cheap dirty sniping can't be hidden. That moment did it for me too.

Back