Recommitted Zach Merrett [Re-Signed til 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

He is an absolute gun. Would love him at the Blues (just as anyone would see him as complimenting their midfield). Really comes down to Dodo - do they hold firm and hope he stays on beyond next year; do they hold firm and just settle for compensation next year if he leaves: or do they look to trade now to secure a better deal.

Its Essendon, they won't trade him but I also think they thought Daniher would turn out differently after knocking back the trade last year. Hence, hopefully change tact as he is a RFA next year.

Will be very interesting if true. Would love him at Geelong.

People need to stop talking about value in terms of the round of the pick.
'2 firsts' is way too vague.
Merrett is in no way worth 2 top 5 picks.
Merrett is absolutely worth 2 picks in the 14-18 range.

Something around that and Geelong has that sort of currency with pick #11 and a later first.
If Essendon were to trade, they'd likely want picks for the now and not future picks.
Geelong may throw in someone like Constable also, as he's not going anywhere at the club.

stop putting words in my mouth. Not what I insinuated at all
Hard to tell from the low quality dig, are you suggesting 2 late firsts is unders for him?

The actual cost wasn't even the main point of the post as well, just that people need to stop talking about all firsts as if they are equal.

Hard to tell from the low quality dig, are you suggesting 2 late firsts is unders for him?

The actual cost wasn't even the main point of the post as well, just that people need to stop talking about all firsts as if they are equal.

I'll agree that not all firsts are worth the same. We paid pick 9(1,469 draft points) & pick (1,329 draft points) and recieved Dylan + GWS 2nd round pick (17 = 1,025 draft points) which would seem to me that Dylan is worth aproximately one top 2 pick or equivalent in draft points to that.

I think Zac is worth more than that, All Australian, younger, club B&F winner (x2), contracted. I dunno, might just be me but I would take a top 3 pick for Zac.

Carlton’s pick 7 + an early-mid second rounder is about right. Possibly a future first with a second rounder coming back instead but imagine Blues push back on that. Should be similar to the Neale to Brisbane trade.

Watch Dodoro ask for 2x firsts and McKay

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many Essendon players worth 1 or 2 firsts you have to wonder why they finished where they did.
The massive gulf between our top 5 players and bottom 25 on our list tells the story, too many passengers.

I don't think many would argue Merrett is worth 2 1sts and Saad is worth 1.

I'll agree that not all firsts are worth the same. We paid pick 9(1,469 draft points) & pick (1,329 draft points) and recieved Dylan + GWS 2nd round pick (17 = 1,025 draft points) which would seem to me that Dylan is worth aproximately one top 2 pick or equivalent in draft points to that.

I think Zac is worth more than that, All Australian, younger, club B&F winner (x2), contracted. I dunno, might just be me but I would take a top 3 pick for Zac.
I agree he is worth more than Shiel but don't agree you can compare across other trades. Going off what a 29 year old Gibbs got traded for Merrett is worth 5 firsts and prime Gary Ablett.

No doubt though he is absolutely worth a top 3 pick. Mids who can actually kick the ball seem to be rare these days.

I agree he is worth more than Shiel but don't agree you can compare across other trades. Going off what a 29 year old Gibbs got traded for Merrett is worth 5 firsts and prime Gary Ablett.

No doubt though he is absolutely worth a top 3 pick. Mids who can actually kick the ball seem to be rare these days.

Agreed. Essendon paid overs for Shiel (and Stringer). He isnt a game winner. Having paid overs for one player doesnt mean you should receive overs for another. But who really knows what goes on in the mind of Dodoro ?

If he doesnt get traded this year and is out of contract next year then the value to Essendon drops enormously. Also need to take in to account the bad will created if a team constantly blocks players.

Hawks, Swans and Geelong (mostly) have a history of being fair to their players who want to move). Adelaide too. And Port have traded in and out a heap of players. GCS and GWS were bullied a lot and now GCS seems to have gone the other way and are willing to hurt themselves in order to appear tough.

Will be interesting to see what Dodoro does.

Given how much comparable players have gone for in the past, and Carlton's draft position, 2x 1st round pick seems overs, we are talking about 2x top 10 picks here, not whatever Beams/Gibbs traded for.

Can understand why they are desperate and would want to overpay though, complements their team nicely.

Still think it's much better to go after those GC/GWS former high draft picks on the fringe of 22 without severe injury concerns. Steele and Setterfield have both turned out to be very good players at very cheap costs, and even if you end up with an Ahern/Pickett, they came at picks after 50 anyways so it barely even matters that they failed. Brodie & Caldwell to me are highly likely to be B+ players at the very least and are definitely worth 1st round picks, but can probably be attached by picks in the 2nd round or later.

He’s probably worth around the same as what Shiel was worth. A couple of mid firsts with a second going the other way, or a mid first and a second.

Merrett is a very good player, but not a match winner or number one midfielder. Very good complimentary piece though.
Also extremely easy to take out of games with a tag too, similar to Sidebottom, have a player on him entire game and he just crumbles.

But that could still be good for Carlton if it gets Cripps off the chain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back