Elected representatives you actually trust and respect

Remove this Banner Ad

The Coup

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
It wouldn't be too controversial to suggest most people of all political persuasions in Australia feel the level of representation and the quality of candidates is struggling a bit.

They'd also probably apply the same opinion to politics world wide.

Which politicians out there can actually be trusted?

In Australia I'm a huge fan of Scott Ludlam, seems to be the only senator who routinely stands up for our rights to privacy and free expression and association. Never gets listened to in parliament of course.

I also like Anthony Albanese - not so much for his politics (which I don't know enough about) but for what he represents: A kid from a single parent family raised in commission flats who was within a hair of leading the ALP and might one day PM. You might think its corny but I don't think there are many politicians in the west that grew up in public housing. Its testament to our system and our democracy that he even exists as a politician.

In the USA Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren should have elderly babies cause they're awesome.

Nick Xenophon - actually cares about his constituents and is constantly promoting the interests of them people who voted for him
(obviously a lot easier to do so when you're not beholden to party politics).

• Banned
Andrew Wilkie is another, especially when he talks on matters of security.

• Banned
Scott Ludlam - next Prime Minister?

I'm up for it.

Also, Bowen is Keating's protege. Not a very photogenic guy but is a very strong speaker and knows his s**t on economics. Will lead the ALP one day imo.

Generally the independents & minor parties fair a lot better on trustworthiness. I'd add Cathy McGowan to those already mentioned, and echo Ludlam & Xenophon particularly.

From the major parties, anyone prepared to go against the party line (for the right cause) gets my support. In the Liberal camp; Sharman Stone and Ken Wyatt.

For the ALP, I've always liked Jason Clare & Ed Husic.

Scotty Ludlam and Nick the bubble and squeak. I also think that John Madigan's a man of principle.
I wasn't much into Xenophon as a state politician, I admired his stance on pokies but couldn't help thinking that he was a bit too stunt orientated and a bit too populist. I got the impression that he looked at the front cover of the Addy to decide what his policy for the day would be. I've been pleasantly surprised and pleased to be proven wrong since he moved into the federal arena, he's represented SA and it's interests with distinction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the minor parties and independents: Scott Ludlam, Nick Xenophon, Andrew Wilkie, from last parliament Tony Windsor and Rob Oakeshott
From Labor: Probably only Anthony Albanese, Andrew Leigh and Chris Bowen
From Liberals: Ken Wyatt

I wasn't much into Xenophon as a state politician, I admired his stance on pokies but couldn't help thinking that he was a bit too stunt orientated and a bit too populist. I got the impression that he looked at the front cover of the Addy to decide what his policy for the day would be. I've been pleasantly surprised and pleased to be proven wrong since he moved into the federal arena, he's represented SA and it's interests with distinction.

I can assure you that on the issue of pokies, he was passionate. I had a little bit to do with him from my time working at FMC's gambling service (of which he was extremely supportive of). I can't comment too much on his days as a state pollie, but I found him a straight shooter

You made the definitive statement. Back it up.
Or are you lying, again.
I wasn't the one who was making the initial statement that Morrison doesn't have a soul. So I guess you should go back to awaremind and ask for proof.

I wasn't the one who was making the initial statement that Morrison doesn't have a soul. So I guess you should go back to awaremind and ask for proof.
He alluded, you stated. Difference!
So, proof?

What religion are you, btw?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back