Pick 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Was it? I thought I'd heard 1 for 4+7. Would still have done 1+21 for 4+7 probably.

The media were running with a few different scenarios & none completely accurate although thereabouts. It was 1 & 21 for 4 & 7.

I wouldn't give up the rights of Petracca for a three pick slide to #4 & an upgrade of #21 to #7. Pretty even draft from 7-25. Petracca rated highly by our club.

I reckon if there were more standout mids in the top 10 then the saints might have considered trading pick 1 for 2 x top 10s, but with McCartin, wright, Lever, Durdin as well as Moore all top 10 picks it was clear that Petracca was easily the best mid and with Heeney F/S and the rest of Laverde, DeGoey, Pickett, Ahearn all with risks, seems like the saints made the right choice hanging on to Petracca

I reckon if there were more standout mids in the top 10 then the saints might have considered trading pick 1 for 2 x top 10s, but with McCartin, wright, Lever, Durdin as well as Moore all top 10 picks it was clear that Petracca was easily the best mid and with Heeney F/S and the rest of Laverde, DeGoey, Pickett, Ahearn all with risks, seems like the saints made the right choice hanging on to Petracca

Spot on. Aside from Petracca, Brayshaw (both top 2) & Heeney (not avail) there isn't any elite level ball winners & accumulators. Whilst guys like Laverde, De Goey, Pickett, Ahern etc have the chance to be very good players they are low production outside mids that come with considerable risk of not become truly elite. St Kilda are not in a position to take such risks with pick #1 in the hand. Call it safe but that's the way the club has to approach the re-build given current list position.

I think saints did right thing petracca is a gun and they will still get two quality kids in with picks 21 and 22. Plus with all due respect to saints they will probably have a top 3 pick next year to get a highly rated tall.

I think saints did right thing petracca is a gun and they will still get two quality kids in with picks 21 and 22. Plus with all due respect to saints they will probably have a top 3 pick next year to get a highly rated tall.
0 talls will be in considerations of pick 1

Jermey Cameron ? WHE? Theirs no good ones in next years draft.

I am sure there are a few next year. They go early. WHE and Cameron would be untouchable and rightly so. You have pick 1, and you should have pick 1-4 (in that range) next year to grab a tall. Maybe a priority pick too.

I would've seriously considered Ryan Burton next year if he hadn't gotten injured which will see him miss next year... Wonder how far he'll slip now. I'm fine with trying to lure Jeremy Cameron with a huge contract next year tbh if he wants out, at least he's proven (unlike what the Dogs are paying for Boyd).

I doubt I've read a comment from a Saints fan that doesn't consider Petracca a lock. Is there any chance they'll take the tall they'd like and the player 9 months ago they would've probably earmarked - McCartin ? Petracca looks likely to be a generational type star, but McCartin could also be a fabulous 10 year key forward. I'm just wondering why no Saints fan thinks there's even the remotest chance they'll go down the path of taking McCartin. Are there leaks within the Saints, or is the thought of passing up Petracca so ludicrous it renders the prospect null and void ?

As a Dees fan I feel we're in a no lose situation. We either get Petracca and Brayshaw, or McCartin to partner Hogan for 10 years and Brayshaw. I salivate at either prospect.

NB: unlike some others I doubt we'll take Lever.

Pick 1 stirs up a lot more romance than the following picks.

It's not worth paying the premium of this romance. You're getting a unique type of hope with a #1 pick, especially if there is a standout kid with good looks and marketability.

In that sense, Pick 1 is the anti-moneyball pick.

I doubt I've read a comment from a Saints fan that doesn't consider Petracca a lock. Is there any chance they'll take the tall they'd like and the player 9 months ago they would've probably earmarked - McCartin ? Petracca looks likely to be a generational type star, but McCartin could also be a fabulous 10 year key forward. I'm just wondering why no Saints fan thinks there's even the remotest chance they'll go down the path of taking McCartin. Are there leaks within the Saints, or is the thought of passing up Petracca so ludicrous it renders the prospect null and void ?

No idea. But watching McCartin's "highlights" I certainly wouldn't be excited by him. Completely different player to Riewoldt, reminds more of Fevola at first glance - likes leading into space inside forward 50, marks in front of his eyes rather than above his head, much more likely to have a shot himself than give it off. Looks to do it reasonably easily at underage level but I'd have huge concerns about that translating to the AFL. 193cm isn't massive.

No idea. But watching McCartin's "highlights" I certainly wouldn't be excited by him. Completely different player to Riewoldt, reminds more of Fevola at first glance - likes leading into space inside forward 50, marks in front of his eyes rather than above his head, much more likely to have a shot himself than give it off. Looks to do it reasonably easily at underage level but I'd have huge concerns about that translating to the AFL. 193cm isn't massive.
Exactly why highlights shouldn't be used to judge draftees. This could not be further from the truth for McCartin, who isn't nearly selfish enough as a forward and always looks for his team-mates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There isn't much difference between Moore, McCartin & Wright.
Many recruiters rate Moore's finish to the year to a level that puts him above either of these forwards moving forward.
McCartin is undersized as a KPF and has issues with his body. He also isn't very versatile.
Petracca is quality but St. Kilda are in dire need of a quality KPF moving forward. It might break their heart the one with the most upside is a F/S.

This is probably the most ill informed post possibly ever written regarding our young talent. Come on mate stop throwing darts and coming up with this crap.

Funny, even though McCartin had a year full of injuries and was clearly nowhere near his best, especially in those "highlights" clip, partly taken down at Geelong in a 5 goal breeze, I like what I see. He's clearly a very smart footballer (not to be underestimated), has aggression, likes contact and has pace on the lead.

And then I read he's too small at 193cm. Some people on here just don't understand footy.

The club has stated that it will take best available this year and worry about our needs in future drafts. Whoever we rate as the best player in the country will get taken at pick 1. Petracca is widely considered the best player and that is why most Saints fans expect us to take him with pick 1.

Funny, even though McCartin had a year full of injuries and was clearly nowhere near his best, especially in those "highlights" clip, partly taken down at Geelong in a 5 goal breeze, I like what I see. He's clearly a very smart footballer (not to be underestimated), has aggression, likes contact and has pace on the lead.

And then I read he's too small at 193cm. Some people on here just don't understand footy.

I know... Nick riewoldt is that height. jack Gunston is that height.

Hasn't stopped either of them

I'm going in to bat for Bergholt.

He does look a little Fev like to me, you can add Jack Riewoldt as well. And I mean that not as an insult in regards to any selfishness or so on. Just more like he's a lead and mark full forward more than a dominant power forward. And he is undersized.

I think recruiters see it too. If McCartin was a future Roughead or Hawkins he'd be the number 1 pick. You wouldn't take a midfielder over a standout key forward prospect and you certainly wouldn't let a dominant key forward prospect slide all the way down through to 4, 5 or even 7.

I'm going in to bat for Bergholt.

He does look a little Fev like to me, you can add Jack Riewoldt as well. And I mean that not as an insult in regards to any selfishness or so on. Just more like he's a lead and mark full forward more than a dominant power forward. And he is undersized.

You can bat for whomever you like, but 193cm isn't undersized if you know how to play as a key forward.

Exactly why highlights shouldn't be used to judge draftees. This could not be further from the truth for McCartin, who isn't nearly selfish enough as a forward and always looks for his team-mates.

Good to hear, I'm sure that's true. Unfortunately all I have to go on is highlights packages, don't have time to go watch under 18s. Based just on the highlights, I'd much rather Petracca.

Yeah 193cm is not an issue. He's taller than Darling, Lloyd, Lucas and Fev, the same height as N Riewoldt, Neitz, Roughead and Schulz, and two cm shorter than Franklin, J Riewoldt and Gehrig (and Hogan). Doubt anyone would call those blokes undersized.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back