List Mgmt. Mitch Brown and Joel Hamling delisted with Hunt

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't mind this theory. The only thing that makes me question it is wouldn't it have been just as easy to trade either of them in the trade period for a late pick that wasn't going to be used. I think we did this with king and Gardner. Maybe it's easier this way.

King and Gardiner we didn't want to keep. Balme said there was interest in Brown but not enough on the table for us to consider it. To me that suggests we were offered a junk pick that we wouldn't use and we wanted one last chance to convince him to stay. I have no doubt if we were 100% convinced during trade period we were going to delist him he would've been traded for a junk pick. The only realistic explanations for not trading him are that either we weren't certain and wanted to go finalise our decision or we wanted to keep him and were hoping to convince him to stay.

If you look at his stats over his career, they are consistently poor in games we lose. He is a downhill skier of the highest order. Now that TV is gone, I suspect Murdoch will become the new whipping boy (and rightfully so).

Yes he is very inconsistent at this stage. But he has also contributed in some important games - eg the second two Hawthorn games of 2013 and R5 of this year. Here's hoping that as he becomes a more seasoned player he will become a more consistent contributor.

Although admittedly I haven't seen/noticed either of these guys play, I remember a few years ago this board going mental over wanting to draft one of Jordan Lockyer (Swans) or Ben Darrou (Richmond) with our R1 (2011-ish?). I've noticed that both have been delisted... any word on either of these guys - they seemed to have a fair bit of talent at the time ;)...

Balme said there was interest in Brown but not enough on the table for us to consider it. To me that suggests we were offered a junk pick that we wouldn't use and we wanted one last chance to convince him to stay. I have no doubt if we were 100% convinced during trade period we were going to delist him he would've been traded for a junk pick. The only realistic explanations for not trading him are that either we weren't certain and wanted to go finalise our decision or we wanted to keep him and were hoping to convince him to stay.

I disagree. My theory is that we had no offers during the trade period for Brown, although some may have enquired about him. I think if someone offered us a "junk pick" (as you put it) for him the deal would've been done because Geelong have a history of doing this. The more likely scenario IMHO is that clubs who may be interested in him will wait until after the trade period so they can get him cheaply either in the Delisted FA period or the PSD. This way they can offer him a cheap contract, and give nothing away (even if it's a junk pick).

Personally, I think his AFL career is over, but I hope I'm wrong.

If you look at his stats over his career, they are consistently poor in games we lose. He is a downhill skier of the highest order. Now that TV is gone, I suspect Murdoch will become the new whipping boy (and rightfully so).

With Brown, Varcoe and to a lesser degree Hunt all gone, the role of whipping boy is now available. I'm guessing Smedts will be number 1, followed by Murdoch.

Coming from Broome myself it's a bit sad to see Hamling delisted particularly as he was the same age as my son and they have quite a few common friends so I did take an interest on how he was going. His girlfriend recently moved across to live with him I believe so its unlikely he asked to go somewhere else for more opportunity as a couple of you had suggested.

With Brown, Varcoe and to a lesser degree Hunt all gone, the role of whipping boy is now available. I'm guessing Smedts will be number 1, followed by Murdoch.
Billie looks willing and able to take on that role I reckon...

07d79e20ea0c11e2ac9b22000a1fb864_7.jpg

Am I the only one that is starting to question the list management decisions of this great club. Over a long period I never faulted a single decision of the list management department. But this year you have to question some of the moves made, surely Rhys Stanley isn't worth a higher draft pick than Levi Greenwood
Also while Hunt and Brown weren't world beaters for our team this season, I'm not sure myself that they should have been delisted, I guess we will wait and see.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that is starting to question the list management decisions of this great club. Over a long period I never faulted a single decision of the list management department. But this year you have to question some of the moves made, surely Rhys Stanley isn't worth a higher draft pick than Ben Cunnington.
Also while Hunt and Brown weren't world beaters for our team this season, I'm not sure myself that they should have been delisted, I guess we will wait and see.

Cunnington was a top 5 pick, Stanley was pick 21 this year, and pick 47 in his draft year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

happy to recieve apologies here from all those who told me I was wrong about Brown and he had too much talent not to make it and he could walk from the club into any other side.

He has been dumped because no one were willing to even trade a pick better than one in the 60's.
What will you do with all those apologies, Seeds? Store them in a little glory box and bring them out to gloat over on special occasions? ;)

Am I the only one that is starting to question the list management decisions of this great club. Over a long period I never faulted a single decision of the list management department. But this year you have to question some of the moves made, surely Rhys Stanley isn't worth a higher draft pick than Ben Cunnington.

I think we are seeing a change in direction ... and that goes against our previous recruiting/drafting types that we would get in.

This in turn would be very noticeable to those who support and are interested in the GFC above and beyond watching the odd game here and there.

That would flame the notion of change which would push up against the feelings of success we have become accustomed to.

Over that long period (save for 2006) there has not been much to question ... maybe 2010 finals - but that had implications of its own. 2012/2013 onwards has seen the status quo, to an extent, being maintained ... and it really has not worked out too well for us. The greats that took us to three flags are either no longer there or getting on in years that they cannot do the same sort of things (maybe even lack some of the drive now).

As for trades and picks and the like. You do what you can with what you have to try and get a better list. Obviously the Cats think they are picking players that gets them to where they want to go ... so in reality that means we pay a certain price.

Hunt and Brown were not really getting a game. For whatever reasons. I liked Brown and thought, with a few games under his belt, he could have done ok - but maybe ok is not good enough. Hunt dropped form massively and I think that was expected early last season.

As for trades and picks and the like. You do what you can with what you have to try and get a better list. Obviously the Cats think they are picking players that gets them to where they want to go ... so in reality that means we pay a certain price.

Hunt and Brown were not really getting a game. For whatever reasons. I liked Brown and thought, with a few games under his belt, he could have done ok - but maybe ok is not good enough. Hunt dropped form massively and I think that was expected early last season.

Sums it up. And we'll find out in the next 2-3 seasons if the new approach works or not.

Ben Newton has spent four years on Port Adelaide's list, as I understand it.

And, of course, the other question that should be asked is: why didn't the team cut its losses with a lot of these players last year, when there were strong signs that most of them weren't going to make it? We cut senior players that played vital roles at their new homes in 2014 and we made two of the first four rookie elevation picks in 2013 (i.e. we were upgrading rookies - one of whom lasted a year before being delisted - when almost everyone else was still using live picks). Only GWS' active picks were finished earlier than ours. When we look at what we did in the 2013/14 offseason and what we've currently done in the 2014/15 offseason, it doesn't look like a consistent purpose is there.
Really? They made changes at the end of 2013 with the clear message that they thought the list needed to transition. The changes they have made this year are totally consistent with that - they've just come to the conclusion (rightly or wrongly) that the players that have departed don't have a role in the side going forward.

It does seem really curious to delist a young tall taken just a few years earlier in the 30s who was showing some form in the VFL. Does anyone know if there were any other issues with Hamling?

but where do they want geelong to go?

wow Hamling was unexpected given he improved in the VFL this year but perhaps with Stanley's inclusion, we have much better options going forward. Blicavs too is clearly best 22 and most capable of switching to a defensive role on a permanent basis as well.

I don't know why you thought it was unexpected Bobby, after all I did tell you it was likely to happen. ;)

Really? They made changes at the end of 2013 with the clear message that they thought the list needed to transition. The changes they have made this year are totally consistent with that - they've just come to the conclusion (rightly or wrongly) that the players that have departed don't have a role in the side going forward.

I see it completely differently, to be honest. Geelong could have made a call last year on several of these players that they have subsequently delisted. Personally, I would have put Cowan on the rookie list after 2013, if I was to keep him at all. Burbury wasn't exactly a no-brainer pick to be elevated, Schroder had played five games in three seasons, Hamling wasn't looking likely to play AFL anytime in the foreseeable future. These aren't Captain Hindsight suggestions; these are all things that were being offered as alternatives to decisions like offering Chapman an insulting deal to play on in 2014/delisting him and delaying the Blicavs elevation (wonder what he's thinking now about Burbury being elevated ahead of him at the end of last year).

At the end of 2012, a couple of cooked veterans retired and we reloaded with a couple more veterans and an up-and-coming midfielder. With minimal production from those inclusions, we were somehow a couple of lucky breaks away from at least making the grand final.

At the end of 2013, we sat on the fence with a number of fringe younger players (and I'd argue that was partly due to not giving them enough opportunities at senior level that year, to give a better indication of whether they were up to it), instead choosing to dump ex-premiership players. And of these fringe younger players, how many actually enhanced their reputations in 2014? I'd say just Horlin-Smith, Bews, Walker and Hartman.

As far as I'm concerned, the changes at the end of 2013 gave the impression that the club needed to transition...but just the older players. And this year's changes suggests that the club got the decision on several of the players that it retained (or even upgraded) wrong.

As far as I'm concerned, the changes at the end of 2013 gave the impression that the club needed to transition...but just the older players. And this year's changes suggests that the club got the decision on several of the players that it retained (or even upgraded) wrong.

Well Burbury alone has to be a spectacular mistake. Upgraded for one year, 5 senior games, didn't look like being recalled at any point after that and delisted pretty much by the time the team bus made it back to Geelong after losing to North.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back