List Mgmt. Mitch Brown and Joel Hamling delisted with Hunt

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah yes. Of course, Dangerfield.

Because every ex-Falcon secretly pines to come back to Geelong. Didn't you know that? Nothing says success more than coming to a team that used to win premierships.

But Chris Scott says our best is still good enough to beat anyone. Surely you're not suggesting AFL players think he's being less than realistic about Geelong's chances?

I love this move from Geelong. I don't think Taylor Hunt is a hard worker, and he hasn't improved since 2013, get him out of the club. Mitch Brown is so severely inconsistent, and never put on bulk. Hamling was similar. We need players like Bews and Guthrie who will work themselves to death in pre season to earn the privilege of playing for Geelong.
Couple of points...
1. We don't know who works hard and who doesn't. Just because a player is seemingly enjoying themselves with golf and posts alot on social media doesn't mean they aren't training hard. There is no proof that Hunt isn't a hard worker and we will never know.
2. Every player is inconsistent.
3. 'Not putting on bulk' means squat. By that notion Justin Westoff, Jack Gunston and Dustin Fletcher are list cloggers.
4. You don't know how hard Bews and Guthrie work.

What are the chances that these 40+ picks, especially those in the 60s and 70s, will be any better prospects than Hamling and Hunt? However, unlike those two, any players drafted will be years behind them in development and experience. Seems awfully wasteful. If you want to argue that they just weren't up to par, then that just attests to the assertion that recent drafting has been less than stellar, so going back to the draft with another handful of picks, most of which will be speculative late-round picks, seems kind of odd to me.

Couple of points...
1. We don't know who works hard and who doesn't. Just because a player is seemingly enjoying themselves with golf and posts alot on social media doesn't mean they aren't training hard. There is no proof that Hunt isn't a hard worker and we will never know.
2. Every player is inconsistent.
3. 'Not putting on bulk' means squat. By that notion Justin Westoff, Jack Gunston and Dustin Fletcher are list cloggers.
4. You don't know how hard Bews and Guthrie work.
Obviously we don't know that, but it's easy to make those assumptions, especially now that they've been delisted. Either way Hunt and Brown were list cloggers, and Hamling clearly wasn't up to the grade.

If nothing else, they have sent a message that you can't consider yourself safe at Geelong.

TV was "gifted" games as many have described over and over and over and he is gone. Bundy was a bit of a different circumstance. Hammer, per some speculation, didn't go hard enough and 1/2 stepped a few contests. If you follow the same theory, neither did Brown. Poodle lost his hardness after his collarbone.. apparently.

Bourke was not putting in enough work. Burbury was not the same after the jaw by his own admission.

Is there enough there to make an argument about hardness and effort? Probably not for mine but you could, at a stretch, draw that conclusion.

Maybe a message is being sent.

GO Catters

And for what it's worth, thanks to Mitch, Taylor and Joel for their efforts at the club. All the best going forward with your endeavours.

Go Catters

With Hamling and Brown gone, we need another player to become a quality tall defender in the coming years. The backline in general is a real worry for me not just for next season but also for the future.
I am really concerned about our backline going into next year. Taylor will be 28 (turning 29), Enright 33, Mackie 30, Lonergan 30, Kelly 30 and Rivers also 30. Mackie and Kelly showed signs of major decline last year, andI cant help but feel that some of the others will follow in a similar manner. We do have a few youger players that could step up, mainly Bews and Thurlow, but I dont think they can replace some of the struggling players quickly enough. There has been quite a bit of talk about Kolo, but He will require a lot more experience and time to become a permanent AFL player. Frawley would have been a brilliant pickup, but now that we didnt recruit any defenders we are looking very vulnerable down back. Perhaps the coaching staff plan to give Rhys Stanley a spot in the backline next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the chances that these 40+ picks, especially those in the 60s and 70s, will be any better prospects than Hamling and Hunt? However, unlike those two, any players drafted will be years behind them in development and experience. Seems awfully wasteful. If you want to argue that they just weren't up to par, then that just attests to the assertion that recent drafting has been less than stellar, so going back to the draft with another handful of picks, most of which will be speculative late-round picks, seems kind of odd to me.
The club thinks they can get better players with later picks than guys like Shroeder and Brown.
Who they are we have no idea.

Obviously we don't know that, but it's easy to make those assumptions, especially now that they've been delisted. Either way Hunt and Brown were list cloggers, and Hamling clearly wasn't up to the grade.
In this age of social media gossip an assumption is as good as a fact I guess. These 'list cloggers' should have been gone at the end of last year then.
Instead we heard the club boasting in an embarrassing way about how they had more upside in the future than Paul Chapman.

If nothing else, they have sent a message that you can't consider yourself safe at Geelong.

TV was "gifted" games as many have described over and over and over and he is gone. Bundy was a bit of a different circumstance. Hammer, per some speculation, didn't go hard enough and 1/2 stepped a few contests. If you follow the same theory, neither did Brown. Poodle lost his hardness after his collarbone.. apparently.

Bourke was not putting in enough work. Burbury was not the same after the jaw by his own admission.

Is there enough there to make an argument about hardness and effort? Probably not for mine but you could, at a stretch, draw that conclusion.

Maybe a message is being sent.

GO Catters
I've been drawn and quartered here for two years for saying that about Trav and Brown,not sure that's Poodles problem though he lost his spot when Guthtie moved to the midfield tagging and Poodle couldn't go down back as he was lost in defence,hence no spot existed for him.Anyhow it's done now and I can half the blood pressure tablets and move on,I can't see another soft type on the list at the present time.

Not sure what Stephen Wells saw in Brown or Hamling as juniors but they didn't fire a shot at the Cats and given both were first picks it's disappointing.

I guess they can be added to the Kane Tenace vault of drafting fails. Just confirms that recruiting can still be a bit of a finger in the air proposition.

Can't bealeave that a quick tall with good disposal is ditched without a game. The Brown and Hamling delistings as failures of first round picks are (I hate to say) big black marks on Wells to bring in quality and/or GFC's lauded ability to develop players (particularly Hamling)

Think this, coupled with Recruiting McIntosh and not having Christensen signed up a year prior to his meltdown (and a give away on pick 21 for Stanley) are amazingly ordinary for a club that has generally recruited/managed players well. Think this is really going to impact us in next 5 years.

Really p-ssed off.

Not sure what Stephen Wells saw in Brown or Hamling as juniors but they didn't fire a shot at the Cats and given both were first picks it's disappointing.

I guess they can be added to the Kane Tenace vault of drafting fails. Just confirms that recruiting can still be a bit of a finger in the air proposition.
They'll get picked up by other clubs
You watch

Hamling was pick 32. It's not a rock solid pick at the best of times, let along in such a compromised draft that 2011 was. I look beyond that pick and besides Hill, struggle to name another player drafted after Hamling who we may have been better off drafting instead.

Can't bealeave that a quick tall with good disposal is ditched without a game. The Brown and Hamling delistings as failures of first round picks are (I hate to say) big black marks on Wells to bring in quality and/or GFC's lauded ability to develop players (particularly Hamling)

Think this, coupled with Recruiting McIntosh and not having Christensen signed up a year prior to his meltdown (and a give away on pick 21 for Stanley) are amazingly ordinary for a club that has generally recruited/managed players well. Think this is really going to impact us in next 5 years.

Really p-ssed off.
It appears the club no longer has patience to develop players. Its so 2004.
I mean they are patient with some but not others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back