Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest problem facing the world today, indeed the greatest social injustice known to man is having to line up for beer .....
The Germans have this licked if my experience of Europe in the 80s is any guide. They just ignore any queue and walk to the front of the line.

sorry Adam but I will call the big KPPs - Gorillas whatever their skin colour.

i dont want to spark up that debate again, but will say i couldnt agree more. players have been on the end of me calling them gorrilas, monkeys, gooses, cheetas, donkeys, dogs, gallahs, pigs and many more...and i can truly say none of those was race related.

Carry-over points was often the reason for players pleading guilty to charges that they could have had overturned. For instance, if someone from a team going into the finals in 2 weeks was charged with a level 1 offence(125 points) and already had 80 carry-over points, they would plead guilty so that the 205 they had was reduced by 25% to 152.5 and they would only be suspended for the last H/A and not the first final as well. Reductions for early pleas and good records should go for the reason that they allow players to "manage" their offences. Anything up before the tribunal should draw a penalty or not. No red tape or special circumstances.

The AFL has changed the tribunal system again, simplifying it in some ways, complicating it in others.

AFL unveils tribunal overhaul
Looks like Mark the Moron Evans is going to allow an elbow to the head to get you one less week than a bump to the head with the same force. 8 years of reviews and still all of the AFL employees working in this area are asleep.

Last edited:
From a Freo supporter but I'm sure we all feel the same. Except Swans' supporters obviously

John Separovich @FreoSeppo · 1 hr 1 hour ago
The AFL has released the new MRP table for sanctions in 2015.

B3Uat51CAAAPbpi.jpg:large

This "bad record" stuff is and always has been so much crap. OK, there were players who continually king-hit other players but the larger percentage lately have always been those who accidentally bumped someone where they shouldn't or maybe even could have got off but pleaded guilty to avoid a greater penalty. Or fair players who fell foul of diving players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL unveils tribunal overhaul
CASE STUDIES: Reece Conca

2014 striking charge on Devon Smith.

Charged with intentional, medium contact, high impact strike. Offered three weeks, down to two with guilty plea.

2015: Straight to the tribunal because the points tally is still 3 week to 2 but is manifestly inexcessive.

Does Mark Evans know he had the power/responsibility to send this straight to the tribunal last year and to the entire football public's surprise chose not to?

With racist/sexist remarks intent doesn't come into it.

Calling someone of darker skin a monkey/gorilla is a very racially charged comment.

In saying that I get your point.
Even coaches call them Gorilla forwards - I remember Pagan saying it during a press conference for a start. Is calling Barry Hall a gorilla a bigoted remark against tall, muscular, agressive, KPF's?

Should I be publicly deriding anyone who calls me cack-handed because I am left-handed? This is extremely derogatory - derived from the very old tradition that the left hand should be used for cleaning oneself after defecating...

We call people short people on here - even Mitchell who is 174 cm. The average height of an Australian male is 175.6cm. Are we being bigots by doing so? I think Impey has included in our 'midget brigade' and he is taller that the average Australian male.

It's a minefield to call people names today, particularly in public, and the prudent approach seems not to do it at all lest someone be offended - for a reason you didn't intend, or may not even be aware of. Or do we take a more relaxed approach and ask that the subjects of such remarks get over it? I'm not sure I have a good answer.

Even coaches call them Gorilla forwards - I remember Pagan saying it during a press conference for a start. Is calling Barry Hall a gorilla a bigoted remark against tall, muscular, agressive, KPF's?

Should I be publicly deriding anyone who calls me cack-handed because I am left-handed? This is extremely derogatory - derived from the very old tradition that the left hand should be used for cleaning oneself after defecating...

We call people short people on here - even Mitchell who is 174 cm. The average height of an Australian male is 175.6cm. Are we being bigots by doing so? I think Impey has included in our 'midget brigade' and he is taller that the average Australian male.

It's a minefield to call people names today, particularly in public, and the prudent approach seems not to do it at all lest someone be offended - for a reason you didn't intend, or may not even be aware of. Or do we take a more relaxed approach and ask that the subjects of such remarks get over it? I'm not sure I have a good answer.

Get over it you whinging cacky-handed midget gorilla :p

People with black skin were often called apes due to their likened image to them in that era, with it being acceptable to liken them to monkeys and therefore being lesser than white people. An interesting article on it here and I'll use this quote from it " Perversions of Darwin's theories, in which it is argued that black people are lower on the evolutionary ladder than white people, were used to resist the abolition of slavery and, after the US Civil War, to promote segregation. In Australia, scientific racism was used in some instances to suggest Aborigines should be placed on the evolutionary batting order below certain species of ape.":
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...m-goodes-so-much/story-e6frg6z6-1226654803999
Look, at the end of the day the girl might have genuinely meant she looked like an ape and had no racial connotations behind it. What Adam Goodes has done is raised awareness on how ridiculously offensive this comment is - I don't feel that this should be a case of 'That girl is a racist how dare she' but maybe just 'avoid likening black people to an animal that was used to oppress people of their skin colour for generations'.

Goodes is a protected sniper on the paddock, that is what most people judge him on, if he was a respected player I doubt anything else would be much of an issue

Nakia Cockatoo just on Sunrise saying he's a massive Port fan, but now a Geelong fan.

See you in a couple of years mate.
I was thinking how awkward/weird it would be getting recruited to the club that inflicted the darkest day on the club that you followed but then realised he'd just be glad to be a part of an AFL system.

Still like to hold hope of getting him back to Port but think getting Durdin off Norf would be more likely given he's also a big Port supporter & they have an abundance in tall defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back