Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Massive lol at Adelaide failing to get Jeremy Cameron... It is also great to see him show some loyalty towards GWS. Pretty good result for footy all round.

Just reading the last 4 pages re: Newton. Yes he got some possessions and good luck to him. He is in my DT and SC teams as we speak. But to see him huff and puff and not get within 5 metres of Stephen Hill whilst chasing him in the second quarter is proof enough that I will not miss him in our side and those that mourn his loss should wake the * up.

Just reading the last 4 pages re: Newton. Yes he got some possessions and good luck to him. He is in my DT and SC teams as we speak. But to see him huff and puff and not get within 5 metres of Stephen Hill whilst chasing him in the second quarter is proof enough that I will not miss him in our side and those that mourn his loss should wake the **** up.

Stupid comment. Travis Boak, Ollie Wines or Robbie Gray wouldn't catch Stephen Hill in a footrace either.

Reckon this is the most likely outcome. Hird's career destroyed would be a bonus.

Has anyone noticed that the level of interest in the Essendon saga is greatly magnified on the Adelaide board for some reason which I cant quite put my finger on.

gossip queens

Stupid comment. Travis Boak, Ollie Wines or Robbie Gray wouldn't catch Stephen Hill in a footrace either.

Not sure its stupid - acknowledge Hills hard to catch, but you need to put some pressure on. Commentators were having a fair crack for making no effort. He did seem to be cooked during the second.

Just reading the last 4 pages re: Newton. Yes he got some possessions and good luck to him. He is in my DT and SC teams as we speak. But to see him huff and puff and not get within 5 metres of Stephen Hill whilst chasing him in the second quarter is proof enough that I will not miss him in our side and those that mourn his loss should wake the **** up.

Losing him for nothing is what will always grind with me.

Really don't know but on AA yesterday talking with Caro they both agreed with a guilty plea and backdated time the players could be back by rd 6.
View attachment 114080
So we get them back after our hard start and everyone who plays Essendon prior to that, including our two biggest rivals gets an easy win and massive percentage boost. If they cop any games then those matches should be scrubbed from the books. Hawks, Swans etc. should be considered to have played 21 games and finals spots is determined off percentage of games won, not the strict number.

The whole thing of treating all the players the same grates me though. IMO the leadership group from 2012 should cop a harder whack than the rest of the players. They are meant to be the ones setting the standard. And more importantly the conduit between the playing group and the coaches / other staff. There should be a higher burden on them to validate everything is above board and relay to the other players, rather than in a team sport all 34 players that are getting the same program having to validate individually.

For me a fair penalty would be backdating the other players to not miss games and the leadership group cop 12 months, backdated to when the show clauses were delivered - i.e. they'd be out of 2015. Along with obviously Hird sent to the cleaners.

Reckon this is the most likely outcome. Hird's career destroyed would be a bonus.

Has anyone noticed that the level of interest in the Essendon saga is greatly magnified on the Adelaide board for some reason which I cant quite put my finger on.
Yeah it is fairly noticeable, i go there to get my goss on the saga because they seem to be the most up to speed with it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly had no idea who you were talking about for a second

What were we possibly going to get for a slow, short-by-todays-standards midfielder who played what, like 2 games? Pick 60?

pick in the 40's was fair. normally a pick in the 40's wouldnt mean much, but last year it did. was a deep draft till the 50's then fell off a cliff.

So we get them back after our hard start and everyone who plays Essendon prior to that, including our two biggest rivals gets an easy win and massive percentage boost. If they cop any games then those matches should be scrubbed from the books. Hawks, Swans etc. should be considered to have played 21 games and finals spots is determined off percentage of games won, not the strict number.

The whole thing of treating all the players the same grates me though. IMO the leadership group from 2012 should cop a harder whack than the rest of the players. They are meant to be the ones setting the standard. And more importantly the conduit between the playing group and the coaches / other staff. There should be a higher burden on them to validate everything is above board and relay to the other players, rather than in a team sport all 34 players that are getting the same program having to validate individually.

For me a fair penalty would be backdating the other players to not miss games and the leadership group cop 12 months, backdated to when the show clauses were delivered - i.e. they'd be out of 2015. Along with obviously Hird sent to the cleaners.
Honestly if monfries and Ryder comeback by round 6.....you//we shouldnt be complaining...

Just smile and nod politely

Losing him for nothing is what will always grind with me.
We did and we didn't. Players like Newton command a decent chunk of a salary cap, because they are decent players, non spud types who somebody else can use.
Paying overs to keep somebody like Newton (a serviceable AFL standard player) is what kills clubs salary caps and results in stars leaving. There is a fair bit to lose either way and not much that can be done. You become a victim of your success and it is exactly the type of thing the salary cap is intended to do.

Rarely has so much fuss been made over a one paced, average player with so few strings to his bow. Yeah, good luck to Newton, but he won't be missed and I doubt his departure will come back to bite us one bit.

Have to admit, I've been bemused by the Newton talk in this thread. Is it a case of Newton's legacy being greater than the player??? He wouldn't be the first person to smash it at SANFL level and be vanilla at AFL level.

Also can't understand the Moore comparison. Moore only getting games over Newton because he was a pick 9? Under Ken's watch? Seriously? Just can't see it.

We did and we didn't. Players like Newton command a decent chunk of a salary cap, because they are decent players, non spud types who somebody else can use.
Paying overs to keep somebody like Newton (a serviceable AFL standard player) is what kills clubs salary caps and results in stars leaving. There is a fair bit to lose either way and not much that can be done. You become a victim of your success and it is exactly the type of thing the salary cap is intended to do.
When do you get your mod wings

Whilst it was a shame to lose Newts in a swings & roundabouts way i'm glad we were able to keep my buddy Youngy who for depth purposes imo is a better more versatile player, Moore is similar in that he can play forward better than Newts could.

Let's face it there's no way Ben would've got a solid run in our best midfield unless there was a large amount of injuries, Young on the other hand can play onball/wing or half forward he's developed a lot of strings to his bow & is more likely to get games in our best 22.

All that being said Newts was one of the first picked in my fantasy sides & it's funny to see him go from relative unknown to one of the first picked expensive rookie options.

When do you get your mod wings
I've always been a mod casual! That's why I don't join in the crappy Australian music threads ;)

I've already got my brown, red and yellow wings!!

Too far?

I doubt its gonna happen but as I said in my post I wonder - because there is obviously something holding Gary back from signing up again with the Suns. I dont know what it is, but if he has his doubts about the GC and he wants to play finals and the chance for another flag before he retires, then I think we have a chance - maybe slim compared to Geelong, but there is some chance.

:thumbsu:yeah why not, we lose nothing in showing genuine interest , negatives -the state with its shitty media , narrow minded attitude and perceived backwater will go against us but the positives- clubs elite standards /all for one attitude and KKK's culture could be a direction Gazza might be enticed with.

If we want to be a desirable 'goto club' you have to step up and be proactive even if its behind the scenes, you never know unless you ask

ps KKK is Kenny,Keith,Koch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back