Autopsy Post game. Close but not quite. Pies down by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Would like to see swanny have less stints in the midfield and play more fwd I think. Let this young group find there feet with eachother in the guts. Turned it over on a few occasion s last night by just throwing it on the boot and blazing away.

Not sure if this the right spot , so move it is not...

but I had to come in to post on what the Hawks and the Pies did last night. This whole issue go's past any inter club rivalries. The "Circle of Reverence" that the Hawks and the Pies did to honour Phil Walsh , showed why both clubs are leaders in the AFL. True moments of worth are not scripted and artificially created by spin doctors they evolve. Be Proud guys you did your clubs and the whole AFL communities a true service last night

Well done Hawks and Pies.

Last edited:
I've viewed the last 2 weeks as big picture stuff. If the team had actually improved then games against Freo and Hawthorn was going to show us how much.
Not only that we threw 2 debutants into the mix against the flag favourites. Let's hope fro Marsh soon.
We have players getting valuable experience as well as trying to win games and the Bucks has put his BALLS on the line and showing that his vision is the right one.
So how did we fair over the last 2 weeks?
Bloody terrific.
Had a chance to win both games but failed to seal the deal.
How many expected us to win either? (besides Pies supporters) Not many.
The kids in our team are growing before our very eyes, and even quicker than expected.
They are where our improvement will come from and they are showing all the signs that they are heading in the direction.
Sure the losses are disappointing because of the emotional 2 hours invested watching the game but the real test came after the loss.
NO TEXT MESSAGES FROM MY 4 HAWKS SUPPORTERS MATES. THEY HAVE BECOME A TWICE YEARLY STAPLE DIET OF MY MINE BUT LAST NIGHT I WENT HUNGRY. WHY? BECAUSE THEY KNOW THE CHANGING OF THE GUARD IS COMING.
It won't be this year, maybe not even the next, but finally it's on the way.

Does this guarantee a flag in the coming years? No. Everything has to go right for that to happen, but rest assured the club and coaching staff are doing everything right for it to be a possibility.

Go Pies !!!!!

Last night's performance instilled in me a greater level of belief of what we are capable of.

We have always struggled against hawthorn- even back to when Tony Shaw was coach. To be in a position where we were capable of winning this game with our young side tells me that we are 6-12 months ahead of perhaps what was projected for this time.

Bucks is in control, he has established our core values, players have bought in and our game style is exciting!

I'm really excited about what the next few years could bring us!

We won the clearances by 13, centre clearances by 5, had 5 more marks inside 50 and laid 10 more tackles. Hard to argue we weren't better around the ground last night. Our work in close with the handball is really good too, we broke away from congested areas fairly easily I thought.

Inside 50s: haw 50 - Coll 46
Marks: haw 98 - Coll 83
Tackles inside 50: haw 13 - Coll 5
Uncontested: haw 253 - Coll 237
Disposal %: haw 73% - Coll 71%

You could play this game all night.. Hawthorn controlled the footy better, moved it more methodically and worked harder to keep it inside their 50.. Their ball movement and uncontested control of the game allowed for cleaner and more inside 50s. Game won

Not sure if this the right spot , so move it is not...

but I had to come in to post on what the Hawks and the Pies did last night. This whole issue go's past any inter club rivalries. The "Circle of Reverence" that the Hawks and the Pies did to honour Phil Welch , showed why both clubs are leaders in the AFL. True moments of worth are not scripted and artificially created by spin doctors they evolve. Be Proud guys you did your clubs and the whole AFL communities a true service last night

Well done Hawks and Pies.
Walsh

You could play this game all night.. Hawthorn controlled the footy better, moved it more methodically and worked harder to keep it inside their 50.. Their ball movement and uncontested control of the game allowed for cleaner and more inside 50s. Game won

We lost because we butchered chances in front of goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the reason why you play your top picks and most talented players rather than playing safe and holding them back in the vfl.

Look at the broomhead and de gooey development in the matter of 5 games.

Sensational viewing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Even the 2 debutants in Moore and Maynard will have learnt more in the 2 hours last night then they would have for the entire VFL season.

De Goey is going to be a star within 3 years. Has just got it.

We were excellent last night but ultimately we blew it with our wasted opportunities in front of goal especially in the third quarter. I always find these losses to be shattering but however there was a lot to like tonight despite the wasted opportunities.

Great respect shown by both football clubs tonight in paying tribute to Phil Walsh so I think the ending was very classy from both sides. I also found the organic feeling of football tonight fantastic to watch. The whole match and the general atmosphere of the game was very old-school except for the lack of team songs for obvious reasons but I found it really refreshing to witness.

Moore and Maynard were decent for debutants and there's a lot that they can build on from that experience. Pendlebury, Crisp, Varcoe, Williams and Sidebottom were all outstanding tonight and they really led the way tonight extremely well.

I'm still amazed but ecstatic to see how much progress we've made this year, so that's a testament to Bucks and the playing group and you can sense that the club is building something very special but we're just not there though. I must admit the timing of it has surprised me but I think this has been a great season overall so far.

Next week's match against Port won't be easy especially in Adelaide but if we maintain that intensity as we've seen in the last two weeks then we're very much capable of beating them and really any side in the competition for that matter.

Keep remaining positive fellow posters! This team is building something special!

Great post this. It's fantastic to see the development in the individuals and as a team as this season progresses.

My 2cts
Now that everyone has settled down, go back a few weeks in your mind and look at your predictions.
These were games people said we would lose.
Against Hawthorn, people thought we would get hammered. We played 2 debutants , had the Colliwobbles and still came close!
Honorable loss IMHO.
We are not GF contenders yet and last night match simply reinforced that.
That we have that close twice now is a huge upbeat. We asked for them to compete against the big boys and they did.
Good teams create their own luck and Hawthorn is a very very good team.
But we are coming ... Look at our stocks, Grundy, Greenwood Schaz to name a few .

Correct. You can play this game all night.
Contested possessions: haw 122 - Coll 142
Mark's inside 50: haw 10 - Coll 15
Clangers: haw 39 - Coll 33

Disposal % and clangers are negligible. Mark's inside 50 show which team has cleaner inside 50's.
Their ball movement is outstanding. Clean, fast and sharp and their gameplan revolves around uncontested possessions hence their short chip kicks and over the top handballs when moving the ball forward.

The reality is, it was a great tough game which could have gone either way and the Pies kicked themselves out of it while the Hawks took their chances when it counted.

Last edited:
Fasolo had a Strong 2nd Half but I did also feel he was a bit of a Ball Hog

No way. Fasolo was electric in the 2nd half. In the past when he's had a quiet first half it generally turns into a poor game. Boy did he turn it around in that 3rd quarter. Missed 2 snaps he would normally slot which was disappointing. He's really maturing as a player and even though he's always had the arrogant streak, it seems to be that he finally knows he belongs out there.

If Varcoe gets a week for what he did last night it'll be a disgrace. Just remember the Buddy and Tippet sanctions and put it in perspective.

At least Varcoe was going for the footy.

Really need to bank 4 points next week.
Hope the mental edge wont decline after 2 very demanding weeks. Port are due to play decent footy too

Agree. After getting Close to the top 2 sides we Have to beat a Struggling Port Side

Was that in the first 5 minutes? Because he was booed for the entire game.

There was an incident early on, might have been a missed free kick or 2 involving Mitchell (Him and Hodge are allowed to throw the ball apparently ;)) and from there he was booed. Just one of those spur of the moment things. Can't say I'm a fan of him but I respect him because he's a ******* gun.

Ok in the cold light of day I have a few thoughts.

1) our key forwards remind me of a golfer who spanks it off the tee and fairway but can't make a put on the green. They will not make cuts, never will a major and will not be remembered for being great players.

2) a decision by the club at the start of the year may have screwed us this year. I speak of the decision not to take on Mathew Lloyd as the goal kicking coach. Lloyd said he would help out but also he liked to do the same at Essendon. Not an unreasonable request considering it is such a tiny role to take on with no match day duties but Collingwood wanted him for themselves and of course Lloyd said no. Instead the pies went with a phycologist to fix the goal kicking and a rocca. Now nothing against pebbles but he also had issues inside 50.
Now I'm not saying Lloyd would have made a difference but him and the shrink may have sorted out a few things.

3) we need to draft tall forwards who can kick, duh but have a look what we gave coming up in the VFL, nothing but Moore who is a swing man, so let's hunt for some back up who kick.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Ps I heard a rumour that we are chasing Levi casboult

Last edited:
I thnk there's a case for giving Gault another try. Even in his low stats games I thought he played an effective role. he's very mobile for his size. good chance that he'll do better next time around.

I see your point but if we don't want to play Grundy and Witts then Moore has to play. Gault will never be more than a backup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back