Traded Charlie Dixon [traded w/ #49 to Port for #10 and 2016 second round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Dixon is not going to get paid $700k in 2016 unless his contract is heavily front loaded. 20 players got paid $700k or more in 2014 according to the 2014 AFL Annual Report. There were 22 paid $700k or more in 2013. Usual media BS and player manager doing his PR spin job. Dixon will be offered somewhere between $400k and $550k a year.

Last edited:
Dixon is not going to get paid $700k in 2016 unless his contract is heavily front loaded. 20 players got paid $700k in 2014 according to the 2014 AFL Annual Report. There were 22 paid $700k or more in 2013. Usual media BS and player manager doing his PR spin job. Dixon will be offered somewhere between $400k and $550k a year.

We'd heavily frontload a Dixon contract. Our need for a mature forward is greater than any other clubs. Simply cannot afford to keep kicking to 20 year old kids next year.

We'd heavily frontload a Dixon contract. Our need for a mature forward is greater than any other clubs. Simply cannot afford to keep kicking to 20 year old kids next year.
Fair enough but Port cant given our TPP and if we are after him for 5 years I doubt we would if we could front load.

Last edited:

will Brisbane's problem be paying for Dixon with the picks?

With a few academy picks and pick 1 or 2 its hard to see many tradeable assets this year. Maybe even next years first might be pushed back.

will Brisbane's problem be paying for Dixon with the picks?

With a few academy picks and pick 1 or 2 its hard to see many tradeable assets this year. Maybe even next years first might be pushed back.

Aish pick could be a big factor in any trade for Dixon. Will put a bit of a spin on things I'd imagine.

wp_ss_20150813_0012.png

Hmm ..

I reckon Charlie is a gun but he can't stay on the park all that much and seems to be much more dangerous close to goal. So I'm not sure how Ryder, Dixon and Lobbe would work as a trio.

Schulz moves on to Freo sure, but I wonder if Lobbe would be best to move on as well, which from the outside would seem really sad as he was such a great part of the Port resurgence.

It would be sad to see him leave the Suns but we do have some cover for him in 2MP and Day.

But Port would be good for Charlie, and Charlie would be good for Port. He is a seriously big dude.
Assuming Schultz moves elsewhere, Dixon would be a very good fit with Wingard and Westhoff and Ryder.

Port will want more than Dixon for pick 7 though. A top 10 pick is valuable at the best of times, but especially for a club like Port that has not picked higher than 21 in the last 2 years.

Suns will have to throw in their 2nd rounder (something like pick 23/24).

She also said Hird was fired

And that she isn't a complete campaigner

Both clearly proven lies :D

She wasn't wrong though. The talk was they went into that meeting with every intention to fire him , then something changed. Probably either hirds wife and friends threatened with legal action or it was intimated hird could spill some stuff that the club would rather he didn't.

If Dixon goes to Port for their first pick (currently pick 7) then I think it's a Win / Win trade

On current output , ie averaging 14 games a year and 40 goals a season for port it would not be a win. Especially if it comes at the cost of a high pick , putting aside a seasoned forward in shultz , tying up a chunk of our cap , and not developing our own prospects. I would count that as a loss to be honest.

If he managed to average 20 games a year and 50+ goals then it would be a good win for port. But that is a big if.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be sad to see him leave the Suns but we do have some cover for him in 2MP and Day.

But Port would be good for Charlie, and Charlie would be good for Port. He is a seriously big dude.
Assuming Schultz moves elsewhere, Dixon would be a very good fit with Wingard and Westhoff and Ryder.

Port will want more than Dixon for pick 7 though. A top 10 pick is valuable at the best of times, but especially for a club like Port that has not picked higher than 21 in the last 2 years.

Suns will have to throw in their 2nd rounder (something like pick 23/24).
done

Just say we're offering 500k, but Port (or any other club) are offering $650k. You'd expect the draft pick and/or player traded for Dixon to reflect the contract he'd be signing.

i.e. you don't trade a player apparently worth $650,000 a year for pick 10.

My idea would be ports pick 7 for Dixon and pick 19.

Or pick 7 for Dixon , gc 2nd pick (which is quite high really and very close to pick 19 anyway probably pick 21/22)

Would also ask if GC were not planning on using their 3rd rounder on anything other then a saad upgrade if they wanted to swap 3rd rounders.

If they have pick 2/3 , 7 , 19 I think they would be happy to trade pick 22 and take three high picks to the draft. And maybe downgrade their 3rd rounder by 3 spots. Giving port something like pick 22 , 25, 40 (by the time fa compo picks get added of which I suspect their will be a few 2nd rounders or end of second rounders that third round pick is more like pick 50 to be honest.)

For me this is as close to a win win as you can get in this trade.

Port get some sort of insurance back in the trade if Dixon continues to have injury problems or has a career ending injury that we at least got a pick back to add some talent. Port gets to address some other areas of need with that pick.

GC get a high pick to add talent. Still have three really high draft picks to add talent even giving us their 2nd pick as that's the 4th pick in their lot.

It is very likely to be better then a deal they would get from Brisbane or freo.

Brisbane would in no terms depart with pick 1/2. Bris have aish and maybe leunbuegers fa compo pick as assets to trade , although bris would be keen to keep their 2nd rounder and leunberger compo to pay for hipwood and keays.

This means they have aish pick to trade. The options if he goes to Carlton would be blues 2nd rounder pick 21/23 ? Or maybe a pick blues get for Henderson. Which I doubt they get geelongs pick 14 but is possible or they send Henderson > Motlop > wherever Motlop,goes > pick to bris for aish to Carlton. In any cas bris don't have a very high pick for gc.

Freo probably offer pick 16/17/18 + a late 2nd rounder for Dixon. Maybe your best case if he did. On my way! ate freo gc might be able to squeeze to first rounders (1 future ) for Dixon but freo would ask for a second rounder back for sure in that case. So that would be two picks around the end of first round .

In any case gc wouldn't be able to scream port were under cutting his trade value by offering pick 7 for Dixon and pick 19 or 22.

Pick 7 for Dixon alone is just too much risk for me as Dixon just has such a known history of injury.

And sure , as many many people always point out pick 7 could not make it as a player at all. But even then at least you haven't discarded your own performing ff for him and a sizeable chunk of your cap. Which is where a lot of the risk in this trade lies for port. As I've said , if port can add some more talent in the draft with another decent pick coming back then at least it's something to stop it from being a huge write off if something went wrong.

Pick 7 for Dixon alone is just too much risk for me as Dixon just has such a known history of injury.
This is fair enough, and I agree. But parting with pick 7 reluctantly, while seemingly happy to spend $600k+ per year on that same injury plagued player doesn't stack up. Charlie is looking at other options for two reasons:

Contract length and contract worth.

Unless both of those are guaranteed for him (again, due to his injuries), then there's no reason for him to leave the Suns.

He did this in 2012 and got his price up a bit before signing, but this will be his one and only chance of a long term big money offer, and the Suns will expect adequate compensation from any club willing to offer it to Charlie. Big money = big trade - simple as that.

I'm still not convinced that he's going anywhere, but if he does, he's going to make a massive impact on his new club. The man is a beast.

Just say we're offering 500k, but Port (or any other club) are offering $650k. You'd expect the draft pick and/or player traded for Dixon to reflect the contract he'd be signing.

i.e. you don't trade a player apparently worth $650,000 a year for pick 10.

Ok firstly you are just making up numbers there as a guess. Secondly as RussellEbertHandball has pointed out I think in this thread the rumours of his contract are probably not even close as the amount of players that got paid that amount in the past season number around 20. That was a huge surprise to me to see that considering all the inflated numbers we see around here. There is no way Dixon , even on inflated value as a key forward is valued anywhere near the top 20 players in the league.

No team is held by the contract to reflect the trade value.

Yes it can be some reflection of the players worth. A reflection nothing more concrete then that.

For what it's worth , by that logic if GC were only offering Dixon less then us , and less then a whole chunk of players on gc's list could not port argue that we should trade for what you value him? But of course it doesn't work that way.

This is fair enough, and I agree. But parting with pick 7 reluctantly, while seemingly happy to spend $600k+ per year on that same injury plagued player doesn't stack up. Charlie is looking at other options for two reasons:

Contract length and contract worth.

Unless both of those are guaranteed for him (again, due to his injuries), then there's no reason for him to leave the Suns.

That is entirely presumptuous to assume he could only possibly be leaving the Suns for more money and a longer guaranteed contract.

He most certainly could be leaving for other reasons.

Also , if it is contract dollars he is after he would very likely not be even contemplating port over some other teams that would likely have more money to offer him.

Yeah on the thread on the main board or rumours board I said Dixon will get somewhere between $400k and $550k given only 20 players in 2014 got paid $700k or more and 22 players in 2013, according to AFL annual report player payments table. If someone offers him a front end loaded contract eg Brisbane he might het $700k in year 1 but in wont be every year.

It would be pick 7 or nothing, the club will see him walk to the PSD where the Lions will snap him up if they can't get adequate compo. It sends a strong message to players and clubs alike and as has been said we have a ready made replacement in Wright so we can afford to fight for a fair deal.

He is.

He's not.

So what you are saying are you are not presuming , because you know as a fact?

I would like to know how you know that as a fact ?

I would like to know if it is a fact he is leaving for more money why would he consider port?

If he chose port instead of a team that could offer more money would this not disprove your theory entirely?

Are you saying he must be leaving for more money because you cannot see any other reason why he would leave gc?

It would be pick 7 or nothing, the club will see him walk to the PSD where the Lions will snap him up if they can't get adequate compo. It sends a strong message to players and clubs alike and as has been said we have a ready made replacement in Wright so we can afford to fight for a fair deal.

So if port asked for Dixon and pick 22 for pick 7 you see that was unacceptable and believe Gold Coast should walk away from discussions?

You believe Gold Coast sending Dixon to the psd over accepting pick 7 for dixon and 22 as sending a message to clubs and players that will be positive for Gold Coast in the future and/or scare teams into giving you better offers in the future ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back