Traded Charlie Dixon [traded w/ #49 to Port for #10 and 2016 second round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Purely a hypothetical but given the liaison between Port and Gorringe last year, would it be a surprise to see him thrown in to any deal if the Port link did eventuate?

Gorringe or Seb Tape could be used as steak knives to gain an additional pick or sweeten the deal.

I would actually also like to offer Gorringe or Tape to the Crows for Matty Wright. Out of contract, only a B grader, but offers better depth to the Suns list than either Gorro or Tape.

So if port asked for Dixon and pick 22 for pick 7 you see that was unacceptable and believe Gold Coast should walk away from discussions?

You believe Gold Coast sending Dixon to the psd over accepting pick 7 for dixon and 22 as sending a message to clubs and players that will be positive for Gold Coast in the future and/or scare teams into giving you better offers in the future ?

I believe they should start talking to Essendon, St Kilda and Melbourne

You either want him or you don't if you don't then lets move on, it's not like there is a lack of interest

I believe they should start talking to Essendon, St Kilda and Melbourne

You either want him or you don't if you don't then lets move on, it's not like there is a lack of interest

Dixon will nominate where he goes not Gold Coast.

If he does decide he wants to be at port , and port had an offer of pick 7 for Dixon and gc 2nd rounder and gc baulk at that and walk away do you think Dixon is gonna spit the dummy at port and say to Gold Coast yeah shop me around?

Not going to happen.

Gorringe or Seb Tape could be used as steak knives to gain an additional pick or sweeten the deal.

I would actually also like to offer Gorringe or Tape to the Crows for Matty Wright. Out of contract, only a B grader, but offers better depth to the Suns list than either Gorro or Tape.

Gorringe is delist material and will be at best be rookie listed at a club.

Seb tape could have a future but if your board is anything to go by he is considered close to delisting material. Would imagine clubs would be interested in him for a cheap price , and a late draft pick probably has no value to gc as they probably are gonna have 4 or 5 top 50 picks already.

If GC could get a player they want for him is probably good for them. I would think gc should keep tape really if he isn't worth a lot in market but may come good for them.

Port probably arnt screaming out for a mid sized defender either as we have heaps of depth in that area.

It would be pick 7 or nothing, the club will see him walk to the PSD where the Lions will snap him up if they can't get adequate compo. It sends a strong message to players and clubs alike and as has been said we have a ready made replacement in Wright so we can afford to fight for a fair deal.
Good point and Gold Coast have every right to demand pick 7.

Dixon will nominate where he goes not Gold Coast.

If he does decide he wants to be at port , and port had an offer of pick 7 for Dixon and gc 2nd rounder and gc baulk at that and walk away do you think Dixon is gonna spit the dummy at port and say to Gold Coast yeah shop me around?

Not going to happen.

What I do know is neither you nor I know what is going to happen

This is fair enough, and I agree. But parting with pick 7 reluctantly, while seemingly happy to spend $600k+ per year on that same injury plagued player doesn't stack up. Charlie is looking at other options for two reasons:

Money and contract.

I'm still not convinced that he's going anywhere, but if he does, he's going to make a massive impact on his new club. The man is a beast.
Charlie will stay, and it won't be for $750k.

Yes, I know it's a fact. No, I'm not telling you my connection with him.

So you are saying you have a connection .

You first stated on your board that he will stay.

Now are debating his trade value and entertaining he may go but think him more likely to stay.

Now claim that if he goes the only reason he will leave gc is for more money.

But are debating his trade value to port , a team very likely to be offering him less then other clubs , and likely to be wooing him on the merits of the club and coach rather then the money?

What I do know is neither you nor I know what is going to happen

That is true. But you are making statements about the club walking away from dealing with port if port had 7 on the table for Dixon and 22. That's obviously just your opinion but I'm questioning the logic of that. It's not a deal ripping you off. It leaves you in a good draft position. It doesn't make you look weak at the trade table , nor would rejecting that make you look formidable at the trade table and influence future trades in a positive aspect.

I have no real gauge of how highly port rate Dixon either to be honest . They could think he is just about to burst out and kick 100 goals any moment now for all I know. But on face value pick 7 represents a high risk strategy in terms of pick loss and then our inability to address other issues this draft as well as in terms of cap space and player loss due to injury to Dixon. And then. It could also pay off if he keeps his ankle right and kicks 50+ goals every year. But of course how many 200cm 105kg guys develop better ankles as they cross the 25 ages bracket? So getting a pick back for port would help us massively reconcile some of the issues. I have to think that the port staff have thought of these things.

So you are saying you have a connection .

You first stated on your board that he will stay.

Now are debating his trade value and entertaining he may go but think him more likely to stay.

Now claim that if he goes the only reason he will leave gc is for more money.

But are debating his trade value to port , a team very likely to be offering him less then other clubs , and likely to be wooing him on the merits of the club and coach rather then the money?

Why do you think this indicates a step up to him, seriously? at present you are not even mid ladder, what do you see as the overriding reason he might pick Port? Surely with Ablett, Swallow, O'Meara, Prestia, Thompson, Wright etc to come into our side plus pick 2-4 this year the Suns represent a better short to medium finals chance than Port.

Also Charlie himself has stated that he wants to stay but has to "weigh up whats best for his family". This is clearly a statement about $$$$$

That is true. But you are making statements about the club walking away from dealing with port if port had 7 on the table for Dixon and 22. That's obviously just your opinion but I'm questioning the logic of that. It's not a deal ripping you off. It leaves you in a good draft position. It doesn't make you look weak at the trade table , nor would rejecting that make you look formidable at the trade table and influence future trades in a positive aspect.

I have no real gauge of how highly port rate Dixon either to be honest . They could think he is just about to burst out and kick 100 goals any moment now for all I know. But on face value pick 7 represents a high risk strategy in terms of pick loss and then our inability to address other issues this draft as well as in terms of cap space and player loss due to injury to Dixon. And then. It could also pay off if he keeps his ankle right and kicks 50+ goals every year. But of course how many 200cm 105kg guys develop better ankles as they cross the 25 ages bracket? So getting a pick back for port would help us massively reconcile some of the issues. I have to think that the port staff have thought of these things.

But your questioning it with your own opinion, yours has no more validity or likelihood to impact the outcome than mine has. ATM all this talk is BF BS.

Why do you think this indicates a step up to him, seriously? at present you are not even mid ladder, what do you see as the overriding reason he might pick Port? Surely with Ablett, Swallow, O'Meara, Prestia, Thompson, Wright etc to come into our side plus pick 2-4 this year the Suns represent a better short to medium finals chance than Port.

Also Charlie himself has stated that he wants to stay but has to "weigh up whats best for his family". This is clearly a statement about $$$$$

I said "merits of the club and coach" . I didn't suggest port was a step up. But if Someone was to suggest Dixon was leaving for money and signed with port is contradictory.

I suggested if he did choose port it would be on the merits of the club and coach. Ie he likes the club and coach.

Also "weigh up what's best for my family" is a stock standard line when footballers get asked about contracts by the media.

it is hardly a response that should be taken as gospel to indicate he is entirely lead by money to leave Gold Coast.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But your questioning it with your own opinion, yours has no more validity or likelihood to impact the outcome than mine has. ATM all this talk is BF BS.

I'm not posturing my opinion has more validity then yours.

I'm saying my logic does.

The one where you have gc letting Dixon walk to the psd to set an example to all clubs that pick 7 for Dixon and 22 is so outrageous and GC has more to gain from dismissing port entirely.

I questioned the logic of that scenario.

I set out my opinion on what Dixon is worth in a trade to port and why I believe port has to err on the side of caution in what it offers in trade and why.

I said "merits of the club and coach" . I didn't suggest port was a step up. But if Someone was to suggest Dixon was leaving for money and signed with port is contradictory.

I suggested if he did choose port it would be on the merits of the club and coach. Ie he likes the club and coach.

He has made it clear to his own team mates that if he leaves it's for $$$$$, so if you do land him it's because you put the most folding stuff into his pockets

He has made it clear to his own team mates that if he leaves it's for $$$$$, so if you do land him it's because you put the most folding stuff into his pockets

Oh s**t really? Well if he has told his team mates that and they have told someone else that I can only imagine port will not get him in a trade at all then. Because it is gospel and can be nothing else and he will go to the club who offers him the most money , which is highly unlikely to be port.

This is trademark 'player A is a champion , until they want to leave your club at which time they become an injury prone downhill skiing chump who you're glad to see the back of and the only reason they are leaving is for more money but they are worth heaps in a trade because team A is offering them soooooo much money and his team could just trade him elsewhere for more anyway if they want' classic mentality that we see applied here by posters when a player wants to leave their team.

I'm not posturing my opinion has more validity then yours.

I'm saying my logic does.

The one where you have gc letting Dixon walk to the psd to set an example to all clubs that pick 7 for Dixon and 22 is so outrageous and GC has more to gain from dismissing port entirely.

I questioned the logic of that scenario.

I set out my opinion on what Dixon is worth in a trade to port and why I believe port has to err on the side of caution in what it offers in trade and why.

I hear what your saying, I just don't agree.

We know clubs are going to come after our talent, IMO (yes it's only an opinion) we as a club would be better served to hold out for a fair deal (I am saying that I think that is a straight swap for your first pick) or losing him to the PSD sends a clear message to the next club whispering in peoples ears that they should be prepared to pay a fair price if they want to get their man.

I do not want to see my club become the revolving door that is the Lions because they took what they could get. I hope this makes my position (and Logic) clear. I don't expect you to agree with it but I would ask you to think that if Wines nominated the Suns and we offered pick 7 but wanted 19 as well as Wines would you be jumping at it. I could state that he has been injured and who knows how that will effect his future performance so we need to err on the side of caution.

I dont know how much of Wright you see but B graders is a big compliment. If i were GC and had Jaensch not gotten injured he'd be a perfect fit for you.

I hear what your saying, I just don't agree.

We know clubs are going to come after our talent, IMO (yes it's only an opinion) we as a club would be better served to hold out for a fair deal (I am saying that I think that is a straight swap for your first pick) or losing him to the PSD sends a clear message to the next club whispering in peoples ears that they should be prepared to pay a fair price if they want to get their man.

I do not want to see my club become the revolving door that is the Lions because they took what they could get. I hope this makes my position (and Logic) clear. I don't expect you to agree with it but I would ask you to think that if Wines nominated the Suns and we offered pick 7 but wanted 19 as well as Wines would you be jumping at it. I could state that he has been injured and who knows how that will effect his future performance so we need to err on the side of caution.

Ok fair enough we disagree on some issues.

Then you bring wines into it lol

Totally different . Wines hardly a history of injuries , hasn't had a history of injury prone and 14 game seasons. Have an injury expected to hurt his future , say like a 105 kg bloke with a bad ankle. Not to mention wines would be one of the most sought after mids in the country.

But if in your hypothetical , wines was going to be 25 years old next season and had only played 14 games or less for the past 5 seasons ( which is statistically impossible from his age and games played now ) and his shoulder injury had been a reoccurrence then I would not be shocked at all to see someone want a 2nd round pick back for pick 7 lol. I doubt you would either.

Oh s**t really? Well if he has told his team mates that and they have told someone else that I can only imagine port will not get him in a trade at all then. Because it is gospel and can be nothing else and he will go to the club who offers him the most money , which is highly unlikely to be port.

This is trademark 'player A is a champion , until they want to leave your club at which time they become an injury prone downhill skiing chump who you're glad to see the back of and the only reason they are leaving is for more money but they are worth heaps in a trade because team A is offering them soooooo much money and his team could just trade him elsewhere for more anyway if they want' classic mentality that we see applied here by posters when a player wants to leave their team.

Totally different . Wines hardly a history of injuries , hasn't had a history of injury prone and 14 game seasons. Have an injury expected to hurt his future , say like a 105 kg bloke with a bad ankle. Not to mention wines would be one of the most sought after mids in the country.

But if in your hypothetical , wines was going to be 25 years old next season and had only played 14 games or less for the past 5 seasons ( which is statistically impossible from his age and games played now ) and his shoulder injury had been a reoccurrence then I would not be shocked at all to see someone want a 2nd round pick back for pick 7 lol. I doubt you would either.

This is going no where, I know Wines is different :rolleyes: but you don't have anyone on your list for me to compere Dixon too. So I used Wines as he is as you put it a sort after mid, much the same as Charlie is a sort after power forward. He is someone you would hate to lose for less than his value, much the same as we feel about Dixon, I was trying to put you in our position thats all.

After all this to and fro he will probably end up at Sydney anyway.

Some comments:
  • the actual $ value per year of most contracts in the AFL is largely a guess; the difference per year b/w the two offers is what really matters; if the offers are 500k vs 600k or 550k vs 650K, there is still a good chunk of change to leave on the table
  • if the offers to Charlie or the other out-of-contract players are about 80-100k more per year and for 5 years instead of 3, then as a professional that is a lot to give up even if you are happy where you are
  • if it is Port he wants to go to (and the $ on offer will probably be less than other clubs but more than the Suns), and the two main components of the trade are Dixon and Port's pick 6/7/8 it will get done; too much sense for both sides
  • there will probably be other picks included since a top 10 pick in this draft is even more valuable than normal given the reported drop off after the 1st round; in some drafts a club would be confident they could get a player they really like at pick 25 but maybe not this year

Pick 7 for Dixon is a fair deal. No need for GC to include their second-rounder as a sweetener. People have serious hard-ons for draft picks...

Geez I'd be worried about ditching Schulz and taking on Dixon. What about the 50% of games when he's out injured?

But Wines isn't a 200cm, 105kg key forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back