Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's impossible to say what might have been but if he took it seriously over there at a younger age, Ebert could have won multiple Brownlows. In that one season he played in the VFL, Ebert played all 25 league games, kicked 15 goals, polled 9 Brownlow Medal votes (3rd highest for North that year, behind Gary Dempsey and Ross Glendinning), had the most disposals and finished top 3 for average number possessions per game for North for the season (back when that actually meant something). All this done in his first and only year at VFL level, 30 years of age, and flying over for games after training during the week with Port.

Barassi was a huge Ebert fan and to now paraphrase Jesse Ventura, Barass don't impress easy.

If forced to choose I would pick Ebert ahead of Wangas but what a pair of wonderfully talented mercurial footballers. I'm lucky enough to have celebrated both their careers with Port Adelaide and am quite happy to simply put them in the highest pantheon of Port Adelaide greats.
It is a shame players like Ebert,Robran,Cornes and later Aish and McCintosh never had much of a go or didn't attempt to have a go at playing in the VFL. Those in SA now how good they were but the rest of the Country doesn't believe it because apart from the odd State game they never saw them play.

I didn't know Gary Dempsey played for North I -thought he was a bulldogs man

In the 1970s North bought every good player they could. The first attempt at VFL free agency saw them collect stars like a nerdy kid collects stamps.

It is a shame players like Ebert,Robran,Cornes and later Aish and McCintosh never had much of a go or didn't attempt to have a go at playing in the VFL. Those in SA now how good they were but the rest of the Country doesn't believe it because apart from the odd State game they never saw them play.

Why? Ebert had a business to run. He trained with Port on Tuesday, flew out Thursday arvo, trained, stayed over for the game and flew back home Sunday morning. Money and job opportunities didnt become decent until mid 1980's. You cant judge 30-40 years ago by today's standards.

Not every team could have afforded to recruit 2 or 3 champion WA players + 2 or 3 champion SA players + 2 or 3 champion Tassie players + play their own 6 or 8 champions all the same sort of money.

Why? Ebert had a business to run. He trained with Port on Tuesday, flew out Thursday, trained, stayed over for the game and flew back home Sunday morning. Money and job opportunities didnt become decent until mid 1980's. You cant judge 30-40 years ago by today's standards.

Not every team could have afforded to recruit 2 or 3 champion WA players + 2 or 3 champion SA players + 2 or 3 champion Tassie players + play their own 6 or 8 champions all the same sort of money.
Geez you want to have the last say on everything.
I should have perhaps said it was a shame that people in other states never saw the best of them on the big stage but only in SA

Geez you want to have the last say on everything.
I should have perhaps said it was a shame that people in other states never saw the best of them on the big stage but only in SA

Yeah I agree with that, but they all couldnt have gone over as the money wasnt in the game for it to happen.

North Melbourne went close in 1979

WA
Ross Glendinning
Graham Melrose

SA
Malcolm Blight
Russell Ebert
Graham Cornes

Vic
Gary Dempsey
Wayne Schimmelbusch
David Dench
Arnold Breidis
John Murphy
Keith Greig
Phil Baker
Mick Nolan
Frank Gumbleton

Tas
Brent Crosswell

And that was after recruits like Doug Wade, Barry Cable, Crackers Keenan, Shane Zantuck and Stan Alves had been and gone and the Krakouers were on the horizon.

North Melbourne went close in 1979

WA
Ross Glendinning
Graham Melrose

SA
Malcolm Blight
Russell Ebert
Graham Cornes

Vic
Gary Dempsey
Wayne Schimmelbusch
David Dench
Arnold Breidis
John Murphy
Keith Greig
Phil Baker
Mick Nolan
Frank Gumbleton

Tas
Brent Crosswell

And that was after recruits like Doug Wade, Barry Cable and Stan Alves had been and gone and the Krakouers were on the horizon.

Ah yes as Australia discovered double digit inflation in the 1970's after October 1973 Yom Kippur war and oil prices doubled over night, again 6 months later and again in the 1979 energy crisis, so did Victoria and the rest of Oz discover triple digit football inflation, mainly thanks to North. North voted against the 10 year "free agency" rule in 1973, but once they lost the vote they pounced and were the first ones to get out the brown paper bags and other legitimate payments.

Only the uninformed don't understand, they were all great players and should stand as equals with the greats of the VFL and WAFL of their era because they were equal in every way.

Only the uninformed don't understand, they were all great players and should stand as equals with the greats of the VFL and WAFL of their era because they were equal in every way.
Yes and no.
Every state (I think) got to see the winners but I'm not sure SANFL football was shown outside of SA.

Yes and no.
Every state (I think) got to see the winners but I'm not sure SANFL football was shown outside of SA.
As a young boy we holidayed in SA regularly during footy season, the highlight was going to at least 2 SANFL games, I can recall a double header at Footy Park on a monday night pre Crows. Saw Centrals play in white jumpers against North including a fat lad in a pocket called Darren Jarman who looked like he'd be ok if he lost a few kg's.

As a young boy we holidayed in SA regularly during footy season, the highlight was going to at least 2 SANFL games, I can recall a double header at Footy Park on a monday night pre Crows. Saw Centrals play in white jumpers against North including a fat lad in a pocket called Darren Jarman who looked like he'd be ok if he lost a few kg's.
Yeah but I think Dalphonso was talking more about the National exposure side of things and from that perspective he has a point.

Or total dickheads like John Elliott who knew there were South Australians miles better than some Victorians in the Hall of Fame but wanted it to be an exclusive boys club for Victorians.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is where I beg to differ.
Gavin Wanganeen is clearly the best because he won 2 Premierships ,a Brownlow medal and I think a B&F at Port in the highest competition playable in the land .The AFL.
Everyones favorite Russell Ebert won 4 Magarey medals,numerous best and fairests and countless other awards in a glittered SANFL career.We have been through this many times and I have been vilified before but the SANFL at the time as much as people may like to argue,was the second best league in the land behind the then VFL.Russell played one season of VFL where he played well but didn't take out any major awards.
So my order would be
Wanganeen
Boak
Ebert
Cunningham
Ginever.
Bucky Cunningham was a great rover and in my eyes was a far better player than Timmy Ginever in a stronger league at the time in the 70's .That was when only a few went to the VFL.Not every second decent player as in the late 80's early 90's weakening the quality of competition..

Gavin Wanganeen was a freak footballer, head and shoulders above any other mortal, but nobody was better than R Ebert. Nobody

In the 1970s North bought every good player they could. The first attempt at VFL free agency saw them collect stars like a nerdy kid collects stamps.
P
the only knock against the SANFL in those days was depth, for there were plenty of very, very good players that ran around in the 2's in the VFL, from the brief appearances that Ebert, Cornes and co gave us when they were past their best it proved they could play to most Vics.

Or total dickheads like John Elliott who knew there were South Australians miles better than some Victorians in the Hall of Fame but wanted it to be an exclusive boys club for Victorians.

A mate of mine that worked with Bill Kelty for nearly all of the 1990's at the ACTU and is close to him, had a lunch with Bill and John Elliott a couple of years ago. Kelty has been on the AFL Commission since 1998 or 99. Over lunch the talk got to footy and my mate said he was a North Adelaide man and Robran was his favourite player and was greatest he'd seen. Elliott spent a lot of time saying he couldnt have been that good as he never tested himself in the big league yadha yadha.

My mate told me the next day and I could tell in his voice he was still pissed off. I said to him, next time you meet Elliott tell him he's not much of a business man as he stayed home in Melbourne and didnt go to the big business league in the USA to test out how good he really was.

P

the only knock against the SANFL in those days was depth, for there were plenty of very, very good players that ran around in the 2's in the VFL, from the brief appearances that Ebert, Cornes and co gave us when they were past their best it proved they could play to most Vics.

Population difference will always provide that

McIntosh had a game suited to the VFL probably more so than other players that went over in their prime during the 80s.

This is so right, all good coaches learn from those around them and they use them to enhance their own unique way of doing things. Having Richo and the Phil around would definitely be a plus for any coach but Ken is Ken and from listening to the bit of audio from the Vic country club that he coached to a flag a few years ago he hasn't changed. I would say that the people around Ken would learn plenty from him too.
I also don't think it's a coincidence that Hinkley was at Geelong during their glory years. Yes a senior coach needs a competent team of assistants to help him, but Ken does things his way, and I'm quite certain that 17 rival clubs would love to have him right now!!!

Great photo :)

10411051_1587068928181718_7067643836622084510_n.jpg

Photo from Facebook page.....Port Adelaide Football Club Memorbillia Past & Present: referenced to Craig Charlie Palmer

To be pedantic... I'm not keen of Gav in the BiB, some serious retcon, that. He'll always be an SBS man to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back