Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they have the personnel to imitate to an elite level, time will tell but I doubt it.

I have to agree with this, maybe it's my Teal coloured glasses but I just can't see where their improvement will come from. As near as I can tell, they just don't have the off field staff to generate the kind of changes needed.

I'm probably not articulating my thoughts very well (it was a long shift last night) and although they have some very good on field talent, their off field staff compared to Ken, Burgo, Josh, Vossy etc doesn't stack up that well to me.

Even in our darkest years there were times when you saw some things our players did and went "wow, if only they could produce that on a regular basis."

I never see that with the crows. They are the epitome of bland.

I have to agree with this, maybe it's my Teal coloured glasses but I just can't see where their improvement will come from. As near as I can tell, they just don't have the off field staff to generate the kind of changes needed.
Our game plan relies on players willing to play for each other, a number of fast players and the ability to run and run and then run some more. Now Walsh is trying to beat the first into Adelaide and he'll some success there (the degree is unknown as yet), but we are lucky in that the players who weren't buying into that sort of team first had bailed on us by the time 2013 rolled around [/INSERT Troy Chaplin aeroplane.jpg here].

For the others you can't just make players a heap faster. You can improve it to a small degree via making them stronger and you can get them larger without losing speed, but you can't make large changes. Adelaide doesn't have the spread of fast players we now do. If they try to implement our game plan they'll look like Port 2013 - they'll get run down, rather than outrun them. Dangerfield has the required pace, but to fit him into our game plan you'd want him outside or forward and they need him in the guts.

And Adelaide still has the same fitness staff as before. I'm sure they've been picking Walsh's brain trying to figure it out, but even if Burgess sat down with the Crows guys themselves and explained it all in detail they wouldn't be able to run it as smoothly and successfully as we do. Adelaide are a mid-table side, the draw may get them as high as 6th, but unless they either go down the ladder for high picks or attract talent in (and recently it's all been talent wanting out), mid-table is all they will be for many years to come.

LOL :D

Phil Walsh is, by his own admission, an intellectual parasite. None of his ideas were actually his own, but rather a conglomeration of what he has learned from other head coaches as an assistant. When you look at how Hinkley coaches, you can see first hand the influence he had at Geelong from 2007-2010, because they play the same sort of style. Walsh doesn't have a unique style, which is why he can't verbalize how he wants the game to be played. As soon as we see it, every coach in the league is going to know how to combat his plan...which is why all his training sessions are closed and he's so guarded about it. "If your enemy is in superior strength, evade him."

At least he's smart.
Walsh will have an awful lot of egg on his face if, after all the talk, the Fruit Tingles miss the finals!!!

Walsh will have an awful lot of egg on his face if, after all the talk, the Fruit Tingles miss the finals!!!
Walsh / Adelaide should have been ruthless last trade / draft period. Trade out Dangerfield, try and get some low picks for older vanilla players and be willing to drop down a degree short term to re-group for in 3 - 5 years. They are so paranoid about us though they're going latter day Choco / Primus that trying to finish mid-table indefinitely is better than a dip than up. That doesn't work. When Thompson is retired and Dangerfield gone next year, they'll be in a worse spot and just have wasted a year.

Walsh / Adelaide should have been ruthless last trade / draft period. Trade out Dangerfield, try and get some low picks for older vanilla players and be willing to drop down a degree short term to re-group for in 3 - 5 years. They are so paranoid about us though they're going latter day Choco / Primus that trying to finish mid-table indefinitely is better than a dip than up. That doesn't work. When Thompson is retired and Dangerfield gone next year, they'll be in a worse spot and just have wasted a year.
To be fair, their best 22 is pretty competitive. But they don't have our depth: if they cop injuries to key personnel, they could fall away quickly.

I don't know why - maybe I have been reading this board too much....

But I get the feeling the other mob are in for a rocky couple of years. Mimicking another organisation never usually ends well...

I think they will make the finals this year. They will be top four after 8 rounds - have a piss easy draw and Walsh will bring some consistency.

Will be more gloating than any egg on face this year. Gill can't give them another easy draw for 2016.

While we are battling out with 2014 finalists in the fist month, the crows are having partytime playing the afl's easy beats.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they will make the finals this year. They will be top four after 8 rounds - have a piss easy draw and Walsh will bring some consistency.

Will be more gloating than any egg on face this year. Gill can't give them another easy draw for 2016.

While we are battling out with 2014 finalists in the fist month, the crows are having partytime playing the afl's easy beats.
We'll see. North won't be easy, nor will Collingwood at the G.

Couldn't agree more, I think the fans would've accepted some short term pain if they had been able to get some high draft picks (after all they always say Port's success comes from high draft picks). This seems to confirm that they're whole mindset is not to be upstaged by Port rather than run their own club which is what I've felt about some of the fans on their board (hatred for Port more than love for their own club).

3 year plan

honour roll
beautifying the players race at AO
heritage guernsey with supporter names (lol)
currently considering a song for pre-game

jesus they are pathetic.

North, Colingwood, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Port.

Easy beats for us. Adelaide will struggle with all of them. Mark my words, they are s**t, and this year will prove it. When you have to rely on a guy like an aging Scott Thompson for your midfield drive, things are ******* bad.

Couldn't agree more, I think the fans would've accepted some short term pain if they had been able to get some high draft picks (after all they always say Port's success comes from high draft picks). This seems to confirm that they're whole mindset is not to be upstaged by Port rather than run their own club which is what I've felt about some of the fans on their board (hatred for Port more than love for their own club).
Their business was created because of hatred for Port. It could be generations before the mentality you speak of subsides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back