Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Difference is he could rotate through our midfield/forward line much more. Saves his body taking the punishment it does, and he does not have to be 'the guy' all the time. Would be a serious weapon if he played that role (Gray type almost). Imagine having those two rotating between fwd and mid.
50+ touches and 7 goals between them every game I reckon.

Danger would instantly be the best athlete on your list if you got him, but it's unlikely that he would be your most valuable player.

Tex, Talia, Smith and Sauce would all walk into your best 22, perhaps Betts, Sloane and Crouch too (although I'm sure opinions here may vary, ha).

And yet I honestly think you guys are a superior football team going into the season and I'm not sure why exactly. It's really annoying the hell out of me. My underlying bias usually protects me from these feelings.

Hopefully the Crows can have a good year and set up a finals showdown.

Boak. Gray. Wines. Wingard. Hartlett. Ebert. Ryder. Trengove. Lobbe. Polec.
10 blokes on our list who I would never even entertain a trade with the Crows for Dangerfield. Hypothetically, of course,as the Crows don't deal with us and he is a free agent anyway.

Funny, Gray is the only one I would even entertain trading Danger for. Perhaps with both our eyes combined we could see more clearly ;)

Here's how BigFooty works.

One poster: "White is a good as Dangerfield"

Every other poster on the Port board: "You're kidding yourself, there's no doubt he's a high calibre player"

Meanwhile on the Crows board... "LOL tealsters board are talking about how White is better than Dangerfield"

Goes the other way too, mind you.

And yet I honestly think you guys are a superior football team going into the season and I'm not sure why exactly. It's really annoying the hell out of me. My underlying bias usually protects me from these feelings.

I think the answer may just be staring you in the face

Danger would instantly be the best athlete on your list if you got him, but it's unlikely that he would be your most valuable player.

Tex, Talia, Smith and Sauce would all walk into your best 22, perhaps Betts, Sloane and Crouch too (although I'm sure opinions here may vary, ha).

Tex would walk into any team. Talia would most likely play over Hombsch if we had him. Smith, of course - who wouldn't want another player who can rotate through the middle and push forward?

Jacobs, though...I don't think he would. Great player, but our game plan emphasises speed of foot and ball movement, requiring an athletic Lobbe/Ryder type, and Jacobs isn't that type of ruck.

Only a complete fool would look at Adelaide's list and say there isn't talent. It's never been the top end that's the problem. It's guys like Brown, Otten, Henderson, Jenkins and even Van Berlo and Douglas that are the issue. They just aren't versatile enough, so when they have a bad day, they can't be thrown elsewhere to make an impact.

Compare that to our list - Broadbent can push forward into the mid, Monfries can push back into midfield, Pittard often pushes forward to kick a goal from half back, Hartlett can go forward or back, Wingard can play forward/mid, Boak and Gray the same, Westhoff moves around wherever he wants, White and Polec have either elite speed or skills and can tear up the wings and kick goals etc. Hell, even Trengove can pinch hit in ruck and do a great job. Basically, our first 22 is such that every player apart from Schulz as our FF and Carlile as our FB has at least one other position they can rotate to and be effective in.

That's the difference. We're about Total Football. Your team is more about traditional football.

Funny, Gray is the only one I would even entertain trading Danger for. Perhaps with both our eyes combined we could see more clearly ;)
Gray is a better player than Danger lol ... you can keep Danger with his 3 clangers per game and his Effective Disposals at 61.8%

Tex would walk into any team. Talia would most likely play over Hombsch if we had him. Smith, of course - who wouldn't want another player who can rotate through the middle and push forward?

Jacobs, though...I don't think he would. Great player, but our game plan emphasises speed of foot and ball movement, requiring an athletic Lobbe/Ryder type, and Jacobs isn't that type of ruck.

Only a complete fool would look at Adelaide's list and say there isn't talent. It's never been the top end that's the problem. It's guys like Brown, Otten, Henderson, Jenkins and even Van Berlo and Douglas that are the issue. They just aren't versatile enough, so when they have a bad day, they can't be thrown elsewhere to make an impact.

Compare that to our list - Broadbent can push forward into the mid, Monfries can push back into midfield, Pittard often pushes forward to kick a goal from half back, Hartlett can go forward or back, Wingard can play forward/mid, Boak and Gray the same, Westhoff moves around wherever he wants, White and Polec have either elite speed or skills and can tear up the wings and kick goals etc. Hell, even Trengove can pinch hit in ruck and do a great job. Basically, our first 22 is such that every player apart from Schulz as our FF and Carlile as our FB has at least one other position they can rotate to and be effective in.

That's the difference. We're about Total Football. Your team is more about traditional football.

We have a lot more versatility than you give us credit for, but I understand what you're saying.

With your midfield, I really think you'd squeeze Sauce in there. His ruck work would give you first use so regularly that... well, I don't even want to think about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our main advantage over them is out defence. Only smith and Talia would make our defence. The rest are so far behind it's not funny

Their mids and forwards are quality though.

I honestly wouldn't play Talia ahead of Hombsch or Carlile in our side with our gameplan. Talia is a better stopper than either of them, but he offers nothing offensively. Zilch. Zip. Nada. Carlile and Hombsch are both very good stoppers, even if not quite as good as Talia, but also offer a lot on the rebound. For Ken Hinkley's gameplan, I'd take the B+ stoppers and B+ rebounders over the A-grade stopper who's a D grade rebounder.

Talia would probably take Trengove's spot, assuming that we had Ryder in the side and Trengove's services as a back-up ruck weren't needed. Other than that, I don't think he'd make our side better. He'd fit in better somewhere like Sydney or Fremantle.

I love how those three have gravitated towards each other so quickly.

Last edited:
I love how those three have gravitated towards each other so quickly.

I dont know for sure but I would hazard a guess that Paddy and Krak knew each other back in Perth. Same age (roughly) so probably got to know each other through junior footy, maybe, possibly, who am I kidding, wild speculation on my part.

But Paddy looks at home with those two doesnt he.

Talia would probably take Trengove's spot, assuming that we had Ryder in the side and Trengove's services as a back-up ruck weren't needed. Other than that, I don't think he'd make our side better. He'd fit in better somewhere like Sydney or Fremantle.

Fairly similar if you ask me... However I'm taking the bloke, who along with Boak, dug in when we were the equivalent of Central United in A5 and helped turn the ship around.

He's the package....A leader... And absolute gem is Jacko.

Dangerfield is very unlikable, but those suggesting Port have 10 better players than him are delusional.
I didn't say that we had 10 better players than him. I made a point of saying we didn't. What I said was that there were 10 players I would not consider trading him for. Sheesh..

Fairly similar if you ask me... However I'm taking the bloke, who along with Boak, dug in when we were the equivalent of Central United in A5 and helped turn the ship around.

He's the package....A leader... And absolute gem is Jacko.

Talia's success is a year to year proposition in my opinion. When the year comes that the AFL announce a crackdown on defenders holding arms, grappling, and climbing all over opponents, he's toast. That's pretty much his entire game. He's Simon Prestigiacomo MK2.

Talia's success is a year to year proposition in my opinion. When the year comes that the AFL announce a crackdown on defenders holding arms, grappling, and climbing all over opponents, he's toast. That's pretty much his entire game. He's Simon Prestigiacomo MK2.
This! Talia gets away with more than any other defender. Good player but will need to reinvent himself if the umps actually crackdown on him.

Honestly, who cares where the Crows finish.
You tried your best but it seems this board just can not help themselves some times with discussing the Crows..

How about we discuss Hawthorn or Sydney you know the two that will give us the most trouble.

How s**t house are those flogs ay?! Bunch of numpties Sydney trying to steal every player and Hawthorn just being annoyingly competent..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back