Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
my dream is that we sneak into 8th and play richmond first week of finals

I get goosebumps at the prospect of knocking them out

Jack Hombsch drifts forward in the dying minutes to take a big mark on Troy Chaplin. As Troy stands and points while pulling his mouth guard out Hombsch handballs off to Jakey Neade who runs into an open goal to put us in front with 10 secs to play.

my dream is that we sneak into 8th and play richmond first week of finals

I get goosebumps at the prospect of knocking them out
yeah nah, been there done that. Sydney or Adelaide for mine would be a dream elimination final knockout and then knock Hawthorn out in straight sets after they lose to West Coast in the QF. Anything from there would be a bonus :)

At the time there was a lot of love on our board for Talia. KP type and no injury problems. We went injured with butch and Jackson. At the end of the day it was a bad draft for us and the follow up year was just as bad if not worse.

Jackson was the 2006 draft from memory.

We blew the 2009 draft with pittard looking the only "win".

Sigh.

Where's Eddie? Oh that's right, people only notice the ones he scores an not his simple misses.
Eddie's all-shot percentage over 2012-15 is 66.53%. He wasn't included in my post as REH had originally posted the 5 top set shots and I was comparing those 5 with their overall goal averages. Eddie's not in the top 5 for set shots which means that he's below 73% for those.

We got Jackson the same year we got Hartlett I think.

2006 was Boak, Gray, Stewart, Rodan

2009 we had three first rounders and ****ed them all up

2010 we did Jacobs

We haven't drafted that well in the end.

2006: Boak, Stewart, Krakouer, Gray, Rodan, Westhoff
2007: Lobbe, Marlon Motlop, Matthew Westhoff
2008: Hartlett, Trengove, Broadbent, Redden
2009: Bucher, Moore, Pittard
2010: Jacobs, Newton, Young, O'Shea
2011: Wingard, Blee, Ah Chee
2012: Wines, Clurey, Shaw
2013: Impey, Harvey, Byrne-Jones, Amon
2014: Howard, Austin, Palmer, Frampton

Off the top of my head. I am a god. This is why you should listen to the Port Gameday Podcast.

Yeah your right, my gosh time flys fast 2006 ha ha ha. Would not count Pittard as a win yet. Needs to improve and not fall over so much.

2008 - so hasn't flown that fast.

We got Jackson the same year we got Hartlett I think.

2006 was Boak, Gray, Stewart, Rodan

2009 we had three first rounders and stuffed them all up

2010 we did Jacobs

We haven't drafted that well in the end.
Things improved with wingard and wines. We need a lot of things next year so let's hope we get it right.

Off the top of my head. I am a god. This is why you should listen to the Port Gameday Podcast.
We are s**t at drafting. I do wonder how much of that is the interview process and players making it clear that they didn't want to go to Port or SA in general.

We are s**t at drafting. I do wonder how much of that is the interview process and players making it clear that they didn't want to go to Port or SA in general.

I reckon that drafting record since 2006 is probably about average league-wide. Big problem was drafting and development during 2001-05 when we had all our chips in for the premiership. Hawthorn and Geelong have shown how it's done with their continuous development.

Could have forgiven you for forgetting Blee. Incredible forgetable footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon that drafting record since 2006 is probably about average league-wide. Big problem was drafting and development during 2001-05 when we had all our chips in for the premiership. Hawthorn and Geelong have shown how it's done with their continuous development.

Our constant topping up with quality and experience (Montgomery, Wakelin, Bishop, Cockatoo-Collins, Hardwick, Pickett) contributed massively towards that eventual flag in a Hawthornesque way.

Would've been handy to have access to a Tom Hawkins via father-son or land a few more big fish via free agency.

Come 2005 we had nil leverage unless we were prepared to ship quality, whereas the Hawks enjoyed the luxury of welcoming the likes of Brian Lake and James Frawley for nothing.

Our constant topping up with quality and experience (Montgomery, Wakelin, Bishop, Cockatoo-Collins, Hardwick, Pickett) contributed massively towards that eventual flag in a Hawthornesque way.

Would've been handy to have access to a Tom Hawkins via father-son or land a few more big fish via free agency.

Come 2005 we had nil leverage unless we were prepared to ship quality, whereas the Hawks enjoyed the luxury of welcoming the likes of Brian Lake and James Frawley for nothing.

Can't externalise every reason for our downfall. Our drafting and development during that timeframe was undeniably pus. If we find 5 players during that window the team doesn't fall in absolutely screaming heap. Start with holding out on Freo in trade week for more picks, picks that would go on to net us Adam (instead of Scott) Thomson and Aaron Shattock.

Can't externalise every reason for our downfall. Our drafting and development during that timeframe was undeniably pus. If we find 5 players during that window the team doesn't fall in absolutely screaming heap. Start with holding out on Freo in trade week for more picks, picks that would go on to net us Adam (instead of Scott) Thomson and Aaron Shattock.

Sure.

We blew a lot of our options. We absolutely should've had a contingency in place to get Thompson regardless of Carr's fancy - and we'd all agree we had to be more proactive with shopping middling players whose value was bloated by the glow of a premiership.

But we also got plain unlucky. Turning Barry Brooks into Steven Salopek would be looked upon in a manner not unlike Buddy/Tambling if Sal's body held up. Losing Francis, Primus, Francou and Stevens at the peak of their powers for nothing was brutal.

Regardless, compared to the recruiting/veterans rules we laboured under, Hawthorn is playing chess with 6 queens.

and we'd all agree we had to be more proactive with shopping middling players whose value was bloated by the glow of a premiership.

Well there you go. Hawthorn and Geelong were never afraid to make moves on players to get better resources in, vale Messrs Hay, Thompson, Williams, Renouf. And I like Tony Thurston and Damien White as much as the next guy...

Post-script: funny how it turns out you should almost always take the young prospect + second rounder deal, that incites seething rage at the time. The trade/draft gods seem to reward pragmatism.

nice one Sheehan...

Tredders is a x4 time AA at CHF but can only find a way on to your bench in the team of the 2000's.. Jono Brown, great player, and has two more premierships than Tredders, but you are having a laugh if you think he gets the nod at CHF before Tredders!!!

I really don't think I am being biased either.

nice one Sheehan...

Tredders is a x4 time AA at CHF but can only find a way on to your bench in the team of the 2000's.. Jono Brown, great player, and has two more premierships than Tredders, but you are having a laugh if you think he gets the nod at CHF before Tredders!!!

I really don't think I am being biased either.
They got so sick of Tredrea dominating at CHF he didn't get picked in the 2005 AA team when he was clearly the best CHF that year. He's comfortably the best CHF of the 2000s.

I did laugh as well at leaving Cousins out for off field issues, but keeping Carey and Ablett in there, because hey they play for Vic teams and leaving them out would cause too much of a stir.

Sure.

We blew a lot of our options. We absolutely should've had a contingency in place to get Thompson regardless of Carr's fancy - and we'd all agree we had to be more proactive with shopping middling players whose value was bloated by the glow of a premiership.

But we also got plain unlucky. Turning Barry Brooks into Steven Salopek would be looked upon in a manner not unlike Buddy/Tambling if Sal's body held up. Losing Francis, Primus, Francou and Stevens at the peak of their powers for nothing was brutal.

Regardless, compared to the recruiting/veterans rules we laboured under, Hawthorn is playing chess with 6 queens.
People point to the 2007 Grand final as when the rot started, but I'll keep saying our over long celebrations in 2004 resulting in the cluster* of trading and drafting that year was when the seeds were sown. I still weep at what Toby Thurstans after a 3 goal GF could have netted our club. If there was ever more a case in the AFL of trade whilst the players value would have been over inflated it couldn't be by much. Last year looks like being a similar missed opportunity.

People point to the 2007 Grand final as when the rot started, but I'll keep saying our over long celebrations in 2004 resulting in the cluster**** of trading and drafting that year was when the seeds were sown. I still weep at what Toby Thurstans after a 3 goal GF could have netted our club. If there was ever more a case in the AFL of trade whilst the players value would have been over inflated it couldn't be by much. Last year looks like being a similar missed opportunity.
This is a good point mate.

As an example, would we get anything near what we would have last year for O'Shea that we will this year?

People point to the 2007 Grand final as when the rot started, but I'll keep saying our over long celebrations in 2004 resulting in the cluster**** of trading and drafting that year was when the seeds were sown. I still weep at what Toby Thurstans after a 3 goal GF could have netted our club. If there was ever more a case in the AFL of trade whilst the players value would have been over inflated it couldn't be by much. Last year looks like being a similar missed opportunity.
imagine what we could've got for Butcher at the end of 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back