Player Watch #1: Nick Vlastuin

Remove this Banner Ad

Should give him #17, lock him in as our next captain to, has all the values that you would build a footy club around.

Tough, strong, uncompromising, composed and skilful, he's been an absolute jet the last month or so. Would be nice to see him in the middle at some stage but he is just playing so well at half back and gelling with the other backman I'm not sure if it was worth it. Before we switched the power off at 3qt the backline smashed the saints, keeping us on top even when the Saints where just about matching us around the ground. The back 6 (or 7 apologies to Hunt, who I thought for the second week in a row was actually an asset to the group) is playing super well together, makes it hard for guys like Dea to get a run even though he is playing super footy in the VFL.

Should give him #17, lock him in as our next captain to, has all the values that you would build a footy club around.
Pretty sure he was offered a lower number and knocked it back. Happy in 31

Tough, strong, uncompromising, composed and skilful, he's been an absolute jet the last month or so. Would be nice to see him in the middle at some stage but he is just playing so well at half back and gelling with the other backman I'm not sure if it was worth it. Before we switched the power off at 3qt the backline smashed the saints, keeping us on top even when the Saints where just about matching us around the ground. The back 6 (or 7 apologies to Hunt, who I thought for the second week in a row was actually an asset to the group) is playing super well together, makes it hard for guys like Dea to get a run even though he is playing super footy in the VFL.
Made the comment somewhere else,But if the rest of the team had the same attitude like Vlas at the 1st bounce the games we should win would be over by 1/4 time.He respects who he plays on and doesn't give them an inch no matter who it is.

I was browsing that main board thread about our future and just mulling over our guns, Cotch, Dusty, Jack, Tross, Lids, Ellis... Miles... Sheds...

Totally forgot about this guy. OK, hasn't been lighting up the stats pages, but just one of a few who've been rock solid this year. Love it when he takes the game on too. We have an embarrassment of riches :D.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone hear the Miles interview on SEN over the weekend. Got on to asking him about preseason stoushes between teammates and mentioned how Vlaustin and Gordon went at it last preseason. Comment from the commentators was that you would have to kill Vlaustin to keep him down. Another one was that he is "Hardwick like".

Love it!!

Kid is playing very well and tracking very nicely indeed. We are a much improved team for having him in the side.

I was part of the "get him in the middle" campaign, but he's just too good for us down back, as he develops his attacking run even more he will be one of the best HBF in the league. Took on some hawks players with great confidence and composure on the weekend.

With Conca back in the side, the emergence of Lennon, C.Ellis to come back in and Menadue waiting in the wings, we benifit so much more keeping Vloss in defence. Absolute rock.

Yesterday highlighted our lack of inside midfield depth. Nick has been at the club 3 years now. He needs a massive pre-season and he simply must start rotating through the mid field.

Yes he is solid down back but you do not draft small backmen with first round draft picks. Others can do that role. Nick has the ability and more importantly the temperament. He is as hard as a cat's head and would of smashed up Jacobs at every chance yesterday to try release Cotch a little. Edwards, Lids, Lambert are just not able to do that.

too slow for midfield imo ,but he's tough as nails and should have been tried there yesterday as Miles was taking all the hits.
is he classy enough to dish out in the packs?I think he would work if we had better outside runners around him as we have too many plodders
Would you say any of Mitchell, Thompson, Kennedy, Pendlebury, Watson, Mundy, Selwood, Cotchin, Jones, Gray, Dal Santo and Priddis are necessarily quick though?

This is a quote from an article about Nick before he was drafted: "The Northern Knights onballer has a reputation as one of the most fearless and physical midfield talents in the draft".

He has all the tools to be an excellent inside midfielder and his talent is being wasted in the backline. I also think he provides little run and creativity down there sometimes and is often caught out. I think it's time to at least trial it.

Would you say any of Mitchell, Thompson, Kennedy, Pendlebury, Watson, Mundy, Selwood, Cotchin, Jones, Gray, Dal Santo and Priddis are necessarily quick though?

This is a quote from an article about Nick before he was drafted: "The Northern Knights onballer has a reputation as one of the most fearless and physical midfield talents in the draft".

He has all the tools to be an excellent inside midfielder and his talent is being wasted in the backline. I also think he provides little run and creativity down there sometimes and is often caught out. I think it's time to at least trial it.
by foot maybe,but inside midfielders need to be quick by mind and hands also which those dudes are.
agree he must be tried as i said yesterday we should have made changers and that could have been a possibilty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back