Player Watch #1: Nick Vlastuin

Remove this Banner Ad

You know what I find amusing having watched Vlastuin tonight. He has played 213 games. Was a key plank of a dynasty defence. He’s brave, he’s a great kick, he’s great in the air.

He has zero AA’s. Tom Stewart has played 148 games and has 5.

Career stats - Vlastuin v Stewart

Disposals: 16.9 v 21.1

But here’s the key.. Geelong have played a high possession game with Stewart the general of receiving sideways kicks.

contested possessions: 5.5 v 5.4

DE%: 81% v 82%.

With a CP% rate of about 33% v 26%, that’s a win to Vlastuin.

SI: 3.2 v 3.1

Player rating: 10.13 v 9.37

It’s a travesty that Vlastuin is every bit as good as Stewart - both are absolute guns in their respective roles … and he’ll likely end up with zero AA v 6+ for Stewart thanks to Stewart getting more uncontested chips around the backline which the Tigers have almost never done with Vlastuin.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You know what I find amusing having watched Vlastuin tonight. He has played 213 games. Was a key plank of a dynasty defence. He’s brave, he’s a great kick, he’s great in the air.

But here’s the key.. Geelong have played a high possession game with Stewart the general of receiving sideways kicks.

It’s a travesty that Vlastuin is every bit as good as Stewart - both are absolute guns in their respective roles … and he’ll likely end up with zero AA v 6+ for Stewart thanks to Stewart getting more uncontested chips around the backline which the Tigers have almost never done with Vlastuin.

What's even more ludicrous is that when I have brought this up before some Richmond supporters think there is nothing going on.

All evidence indicates if Vlastuin played for Geelong he would have multiple AA selections and if Stewart played for any other club he would have reduced AA selections by a multiple factor.

In reality they both should have roughly similar amount of AA selections, 2-3.

How silent are the commentators also. Maybe they are so used to Vlastuin doing his job that they don't see how good he is. If other of their fan boy backs did half the work that Vlastuin does they'd be singing their praises Bruce for Rioli/Rance style. Vlastuin intercepts another high ball and it's just 'good mark by Vlastuin'.

aa is a joke everyone knows this

GFL

I don't know his personality type. Obviously a laidback surfer chippy. Would've loved him to have been captain after Cotchin. Leading BnF already hopefully got another 4 years minimum in him. I wouldn't object if down the line he gets carried to 300 games. Absolute gun.
I honestly think he simply isn’t interested in any official leadership title because in my mind if he wanted the job he would of been universally endorsed

It’s a crime that he’s never really been celebrated outside of Richmond fans who have seen his value over the years

Should have at least 2 all Australian jackets (2017 and 2018)

What's even more ludicrous is that when I have brought this up before some Richmond supporters think there is nothing going on.

All evidence indicates if Vlastuin played for Geelong he would have multiple AA selections and if Stewart played for any other club he would have reduced AA selections by a multiple factor.

In reality they both should have roughly similar amount of AA selections, 2-3.
having Cameron Ling, Steve Hocking and Cornes on the panel have also helped Stewart's causes. what a shambles

Even during the peak of our dynasty we were only getting a couple of players in the AA team.

Even during the peak of our dynasty we were only getting a couple of players in the AA team.
Not like the Scatters when they won a premiership or two...
It was AA this and AA that...Brownlow favs...how many scatters did they manage to cram in one Season...7?!?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not like the Scatters when they won a premiership or two...
It was AA this and AA that...Brownlow favs...how many scatters did they manage to cram in one Season...7?!?

2019 when we won the flag Scats had 6 AA players to our 4.

2020 when we won the flag Scats had 5 AA players to our 3.

AA is quite frankly a joke. I recall in 2022 Tom Hawkins was made the captain. But Tom Lynch took the most contested marks of any forward in the comp that year.

I honestly think he simply isn’t interested in any official leadership title because in my mind if he wanted the job he would of been universally endorsed

It’s a crime that he’s never really been celebrated outside of Richmond fans who have seen his value over the years

Should have at least 2 all Australian jackets (2017 and 2018)
He's publicly said before that he doesn't want to be captain.

About bloody time!
He’s an absolute gun
I’m glad he’s getting the recognition finally

Wow highest finish in B&F is only 4th??

That just shows how many consistent guns we’ve had over the last 8 years
We been blessed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back