2015 Division 2

Remove this Banner Ad

T
Again, what parts of my statements do you find incorrect? I am not having a go at them. I have stated what I believe are some of their weaknesses. You seem to be the angry one, I am only stating what I have heard. Don't shoot the messenger.

Think you have us mixed up here mate!

Hard for all div 2 teams to keep the young guns. But the culture is fine down there, better than the last few years anyway.

They could definatly do with a big key forward. Don't think they are one paced at all in the mid. A few of the younger boys are very quick.
And I don't think the clearance list will be as bad as you think.

You sound pretty negative for a long term supporter, are you not happy with the turn around this year?
No I am very happy with the way the team is travelling. My concern is that the improvement has been made by the inclusion of Shaw, Farrelly, Tilley, Harvey and Kruezer. These guys are great footballers but will not be the future of the club in a playing capacity.
Why try and recruit Saul Caddy? Will he just play seconds?
The club must not be happy just to win a 2nd division premiership and then get thrashed every week in Division one. It just becomes a vicious cycle. Hey I may be wrong and they may have a long list of recruits for next year lined up but please be assured that I want this club to succeed this year and eventually be regarded as a division 1 club like Bundoora.

No I am very happy with the way the team is travelling. My concern is that the improvement has been made by the inclusion of Shaw, Farrelly, Tilley, Harvey and Kruezer. These guys are great footballers but will not be the future of the club in a playing capacity.
Why try and recruit Saul Caddy? Will he just play seconds?
The club must not be happy just to win a 2nd division premiership and then get thrashed every week in Division one. It just becomes a vicious cycle. Hey I may be wrong and they may have a long list of recruits for next year lined up but please be assured that I want this club to succeed this year and eventually be regarded as a division 1 club like Bundoora.

Fair enough. I want them to succeed and if they do win it and go Div 1 next year, hopefully all those metioned hang around for a couple of seasons and try and stay up. Caddy could be the missing link THIS year. I know its not the future but the club do need to focus on the present also.

Interesting to see two passionate people from the same club with differing points of view. It is hard weighing up the immediate success with the long term viability of the Club, you are not the first and wont be the last to have opinions on the mighty $$.

I don't know many down the Bridge way but did by chance at a mutual acquaintances party have a beer with someone very very high on the committee, I asked him plain and simple and he said we have NOT spent as much as people think and have a clear plan ahead on the next few years, win or lose a GF. He seems like a pretty level headed bloke that has not been there for one year and does not plan on going anywhere.

Two very big games this weekend should be a big crowd down at Thomastown, but think Lalor may be a little to good with a few big names expected to return. Hurstbridge and Whittlesea could go either way depending on which Hurstbridge team rocks up. Fitzroy Stars will win easily putting pressure on the four teams above. Division 2 is shaping as if it is going to be a thrilling end to the season and a massive final series with any of the 5 teams being able to take home the premiership. Just what all supporters and fans want to see, should be good.

should be a cracking game at main st this week, thomo look to have loaded up with a few key inclusions. hoping my lalor team can hold onto top spot and push thomo further to missing out on finals!

Well, we're back for another great round of footy, with legitimately 5 chances for the Premiership flag. I can't remember a season being so close at the top with only a couple of games separating 1st - 5th and lots of top 4 clashes rounding out the season. It's going to be an exciting run home for all clubs involved and their supporters.

Thomastown vs Lalor
Lalor have been very good and they come up against a Thomastown who have got a few players back and will be looking to bounce back from their last game against the Stars where they were outclassed. The next 2 games are massive for Thomo in the context of their season and they will be up and about trying to cement a finals spot in their first season back in Div 2. Should be cracking contest. But I think the Bloods will get over the line just. Lalor by 5pts

Hurstbridge vs Whittlesea
Another top 4 contest with the 4points meaning more than at any other stage of the season. Both sides have been great form at times and then pretty ordinary at other stages. Both will be out to make a statement and it should be very entertaining. Hurstbridge are a lot more hardened with Whittlesea having the younger side, but have Hurstbridge got the run and spread needed on the large spaces of Whittlesea? I feel like it could go either way, but I'll go with the home side in a close contest. Whittlesea by 10pts

Fitzroy Stars vs Panton Hill
The Stars are really starting to hit their straps and have had some big wins over the past few weeks. Still yet to have their best 22 available and have managed to put together some good form. Had a huge win at home against Thomo last out and will be fresh off the bye. Panton Hill are hard to beat at Cracknell and will put up a great fight to try and prevent the Stars making the finals. It's a must win for the Stars as they continue to bang on the door of the top 4 so they should continue their good form. Stars by 38pts

Mernda vs Diamond Creek
Diamond Creek should be too strong for Mernda, especially on their home ground that they seem to play extremely well. The big open spaces should allow them to dictate to a very young Mernda side who are battling every week to avoid relegation, but the writing's on the wall. Diamo by 47pts

Good luck to everyone involved on the weekend. Players, spectators and officials.

Round 14.

Diamond Creek vs Mernda. The home demons to comfortably put out the fire of the visiting Demons.
Panton Hill vs Fitzroy Stars. Expecting the Redbacks to give a good showing but the Stars need to keep winning for a finals spot.
Thomastown vs Lalor. Should be a great game with plenty on the line for both but giving the more experienced Bloods the nod over the Bears.
Whittlesea vs Hurstbridge. Plenty of chatter about the 'Bridges this week and expect them to be able to handle the Eagles in another monster game.

Great round just gone. Im loving that there is a very important (must win) game every week and this weekend will be no different. The top 2 clash for top spot and the next 2 play to stay in the 4. I believe that after this round stars will be 4th and after winning there first 7 then hitting a wall thomo will be 5th.

Great round just gone. Im loving that there is a very important (must win) game every week and this weekend will be no different. The top 2 clash for top spot and the next 2 play to stay in the 4. I believe that after this round stars will be 4th and after winning there first 7 then hitting a wall thomo will be 5th.

or will Hurstbridge drop out and miss the finals????

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome on board AYS, So who do you thing will play off for the big one ?

Can't seem to pick a winner so I give up.
My thoughts are that Lalor play Whittlesea GF. Won't be surprised if Lalor Play Fitzroy either.
My preference would be Lalor play Thomastown.
This week Thomo lose their spot to the guys over the bridge. But again wouldn't be surprised if thomo get the win either.
Such a close top 5.

With 4 weeks to go anything can happen.

Diamond creek we all thought would go down and they have been competitive!! WELL DONE!!

Thomo having a crack at finals after coming up after Steve K left the club and Dean Sinclair came back to help the club!! WELL DONE

But lets go back to 2013 which was only 2 years ago! Lalor finished second last. Made a move by appointing Steven Marshall and its been a success so far as Lalor look to be playing finals two out of two with Steve.

What has happened down at Mernda?

As Stars cruise back into the top 4 this week. Who will make way for them? Thomo or Bridge?

What is everyones thoughts?
Huge game this week between Hurstbridge and Thomastown. I believe the winner will play finals.

Season will end with these ladder positions I think.

If Thomo win:

Lalor 58
Whittlesea 50
Thomastown 48
Stars 46
Hursty 44

If Hursty wins:

Lalor 58
Whittlesea 50
Hursty 48
Stars 46
Thomo 44

Good article on Garry Ramsay on how a club should operate.

Ramsay keeps the faith
By: Dan Campbell
Tuesday, July 21, 2015
HANDSHAKES in football do not come much firmer than the highly-sought-after contract extension.

And, as his side sits second on the Division 1 ladder as equal flag favourites, Macleod senior coach Garry Ramsay is set to remain at De Winton Park in 2016 after putting pen to paper late last week.

“It’s a great club to deal with,” Ramsay told NFL.org.au.

“The deal was if the club keeps improving, I stay on. We’ve already won more games than last year, so that enacted the extension. And if we win more than the previous year, we go again.”

Macleod president Damian Hurley was delighted with Ramsay's decision to re-sign as coach.

“We are delighted with the job Garry has done and we felt by re-signing him now gives us stability for the rest of this season and beyond,” Hurley said.

“Garry has the respect of everyone at the club and the fact we have been improving every year under Garry made the decision a fairly obvious one.”

Improving on last year’s preliminary final finish was always going to have its challenges, but the Kangaroos have met each hurdle with aplomb thus far, including defeating reigning premier Greensborough in both meetings this season.

Despite twice claiming the scalp of the Division 1 ladder-leader, Ramsay believes the Boro are still the hunted this season.

“I still think Greensborough’s the team to beat. They’ve probably got all their sides sitting either on top or top two (of the ladder) at this stage again, like last year,” he said.

“They’re the defending champs, we’re still chasing them.”

Prior to this season, the pair previously met in last year’s preliminary final. Macleod had won its two home and away encounters with the Boro in 2014, however it was Greensborough who prevailed by 19 points to march into the Grand Final.

“The game they beat us in was a final, so we’re still to beat them in a final. So we’ll keep going like we’re the ones that have to improve,” Ramsay said.

“We’ve got a lot of respect and admiration for their club, the way they’re set up, (and) we’re trying to model ourselves on that.”

After last year stepping onto the hallowed turf of a Division 1 final for the first time in 43 years, Ramsay believes the experience serves as a stepping stone in 2015’s pursuit for the NFL’s Holy Grail.

As a coach who has ‘been there and done that’ in the premiership stakes with Lower Plenty in 2011, Ramsay can see a certain uniqueness to his class of 2015 at the ‘Roos.

“The Lower Plenty list I had had been building to that for a few years before I got there. I think that list was, even from the start of the year, the best list (in the competition),” Ramsay said.

“(But) I think (Macleod’s) list has been built over time.

“Every year the club has been in first division, they’ve improved. It’s been a real slow progression, it hasn’t been done with recruits.”

With the Kangaroos priding themselves on junior development, Ramsay sees the playing list as a tight group of mates who have been through all the trials and tribulations together.

“This is a list that has probably been together now for four or five years and have come from the lower parts of the ladder to the higher parts all just in time and improvement. There’s no real big name recruits (on) the list,” he said.

I think it’s been a sustainable process. This list will be together for quite a few years still.”

As the Club’s under-19s continue to flourish – sitting fourth on the ladder – the Kangaroos look to be maintaining the culture of breeding their own talent.

“I think our under 19s now will play finals this year and I think they’ll play finals for a few years to come as well,” Ramsay said.

“That’s where the club wants to be – we don’t just want to have a one year tilt at it. Hopefully this can be an era of consistently finishing in the finals and I think that’ll be done by building strong under 19s, continually.”

While a handful of Macleod’s current squad were part of the Roos’ 2009 Division 2 premiership, the Club itself has not tasted Division 1 premiership success since 1971.

But as Garry Ramsay continues to improve the club’s results by the year, he believes there is no better time to break the drought than now.

“We still haven’t reached the top of the mountain. We’re climbing, but we haven’t reached the top and that’s why it’s exciting for everyone at the club.

“This group has the chance to make its own history and do something that very few people have done.”

The fight for the finals spots is real intense at the moment and this weeks games can help settle that.

Hurstbridge vs Thomastown. Both lost tough games last week and with some significant ins this week the 'Bridges can give the Bears more worries.
Lalor vs Whittlesea. Strong wins by both teams last week portents for a great clash with the Eagles just edging the Bloods in a nail-biter.
Mernda vs Panton Hill. It's now or never for the Demons but think they will come up short against the Redbacks.
Fitzroy Stars vs Diamond Creek. With the prospect of a finals berth on the line expect the Stars to be all over the Demons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back