2015 Pre-Season (All news, press conferences, training reports)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to interrupt the in depth conversation here on the merits of the standard of the NEAFL but will tomorrow night be the first time we will wear our clash jumper? We usually do when we play away to Sydney.

Let's not start this again. Opinions are just that, but I'm pretty sure Karnezis didn't get games because of Karnezis, not Voss. Is Buckley to blame for him not getting games last year either?
No. Repeated injuries were to blame. Buckley was very keen to play him but went with the safe option because he had no preseason under his belt.

Ripping it up but not fit enough to play at an AFL level.

So basically the same state he was in throughout his Lions stay - I know I can remember him blowing up and being nearly unable to run towards the ends of games.

Looks like Leppa has his likely 22 pretty much sorted for Rd. 1 (barring injuries etc.)

Gardiner Merrett Paparone

C.Beams Clarke Rich

Robinson D.Beams Bewick

Zorko Close Mayes

Green Staker Leuenberger

Martin Rockliff Redden

INT: Adcock Aish Taylor
SUB: Christensen

EMG: McStay Lester Dawson (gut feeling he'll smash the door down the next two games)

So basically the same state he was in throughout his Lions stay - I know I can remember him blowing up and being nearly unable to run towards the ends of games.
Joined the Pies with a groin injury. Same one he was carrying around at the Lions and playing with in the NEAFL. Had zero preseason and got straight into VFL Footy, then had another minor setback. Probably unlucky not to play, but it was what it was. Bucks didn't take the risk.

Not like it's any of our business though... so meh. :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Err, why not? I'd say he's our most dangerous looking forward when he plays there.
Occasionally moving into the forward line to create a mismatch and having the opposition's no.1 defender on you all game aren't the same thing. I like what McStay can do, but he's a 3rd tall if he play as a full time forward at this stage.

Occasionally moving into the forward line to create a mismatch and having the opposition's no.1 defender on you all game aren't the same thing. I like what McStay can do, but he's a 3rd tall if he play as a full time forward at this stage.
At this stage, I'd have more faith in McStay taking the opposition's best defender than Close. Regardless of how you play him, he's shown ability to take pack marks and kick goals. Close showed very little intent last year and really has to step up this year. McStay took Melbourne's number one defender in Lynden Dunn and kicked three on him with relative ease.

It could come down to a tiebreaker of we need another left foot. Hawrhorn have them all. Mcstay gets in because our only true lefties are rich and bewick (have I missed anyone)

We shouldn't limit our thinking with McStay. He's got the potential to play several positions very well.

I still see McStay as more of a 3rd tall. I think you need your CHF types like Close, a big unit down deep and a 3rd more athletic tall. McStay has natural instincts in pack contested situations, i want him coming into those situations as 3rd man across. His athletic ability also means he can push up onto a wing.

He is kinda very similar to Staker. Tall for his speed/athleticism and great overhead mark. Staker has been most dangerous as that 3rd tall, getting a good match up on a less quality defender. In a pinch, he could hold down a KPF spot, but ideally i think we want the riches of having him as a 3rd tall.

Darling is already showing you don't need to be 6'5"+ to be a kpp now and I hope McCartin also reinforces that. You've also got Kersten and a couple others that will potentially be "undersized" kpp. It's only been over the last 5 years or so where everyone has gotten the idea in their head that 6'3" is too short for a key post and it even seems to me that gorillas are finding the stresses of the game a little too much to stay on the park like they used to.

McStay is 6'4" with one of the best in-game vertical leaps I have seen... Others may test higher but he seems to be able to pull it out mid stride quickly and without having to coil his legs to prep, plus he reads the flight well to meet it at the highest point and is mobile and agile enough to not have to engage in a wrestle. He has no problems leaping into a pack though either so he could develop into any position short of ruck.

I for one love the idea of balance that you can get from having a left footed key forward, and can see him as full forward who can lead from the square with his pace and also sit on some heads or crash a pack from the side, and actually hold a few... he's a second year player though so no hurry.

The exciting thing about him is that he has looked like taking a speccy in just about every game he plays, as well as actually taking a few good marks. Only a few players do that, and it is just natural ability and feel. I would rather have him running into a pack rather than being stuck at the bottom wrestling with a defender though. He also seems a pretty good shot at goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back