Vic 2017 Northcote By-Election - GREENS GAIN

Remove this Banner Ad

I

Im projecting

Elon Musk is the most annoying

Fair enough - he's the Steve Jobs of the energy transition. I'm mixed on Musk. He's a massive self-promoter but arguably without his intervention in South Australia, we would still be dragging along in the slow lane of the energy transition.

Not a fan of Tesla cars as a sustainability solution, but he's primarily aiming at the US market which is so locked into the private car ownership model that public transport and cycling aren't realistic for a lot of cities. Here in Australia, we should still be fighting for better PT access.

Fair enough - he's the Steve Jobs of the energy transition. I'm mixed on Musk. He's a massive self-promoter but arguably without his intervention in South Australia, we would still be dragging along in the slow lane of the energy transition.

Not a fan of Tesla cars as a sustainability solution, but he's primarily aiming at the US market which is so locked into the private car ownership model that public transport and cycling aren't realistic for a lot of cities. Here in Australia, we should still be fighting for better PT access.

Which we will get. So long as we don't support the wedge party in any form

lol, CFMEU links to organised crime and general thuggery are hardly a secret. Lovely people. Simply lovely

Matthew Guy has "links" to organised crime as well. What's your point?

The Federal Court clearly doesn't have a big problem with how the CFMEU conducts itself, it keeps finding in its favour.

You should stop reading taking the Herald Sun/Andrew Bolt/Michaelia Cash/spineless Mal as gospel.

The Federal Court clearly doesn't have a big problem with how the CFMEU conducts itself, it keeps finding in its favour.

You should stop reading taking the Herald Sun/Andrew Bolt/Michaelia Cash/spineless Mal as gospel.

Really?
http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/pm/federal-court-increases-cfmeu-fine-for-unlawful/8398614

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...s/news-story/2b67f52ff002795867c0ba44c448d6b3

Yawn, pathetic apologism. CFMEU thuggery is common knowledge amongst anyone who has been anywhere near the construction industry in Melbourne.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...crime-linked-building-companies-win-contracts

The ABC said a joint investigation with Fairfax Media implicated a number of Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union (CFMEU) members in New South Wales and Victoria in corrupt deals, including bribery and extortion.

You should stop reading the Herald Sun/Andrew Bolt/Michaelia Cash/spineless Mal as gospel.
C'mon! Andy and Rita are among his primary sources.

On Green voters, the one thing that I have noticed is that the Greens generally don't do well in places with large migrant populations or areas with high levels of social disadvantage such as public housing, I find that most Green voters are not necessarily wealthy but instead many of them live financially comfortable lives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a balanced view you have ....

A lot of Greens voters do have degrees and the generally decent paying middle and upper-middle class jerbs that follow (electoral research indicates this) but the idea they're rich Liberals with a social and environmental conscience is ridiculous. Liberal and Greens are nothing alike on economic policy.

For grist for the mill that the Greens are the party for self-absorbed w***ers:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/h...nner-city-for-the-greens-20171124-gzsq28.html

On Green voters, the one thing that I have noticed is that the Greens generally don't do well in places with large migrant populations or areas with high levels of social disadvantage such as public housing, I find that most Green voters are not necessarily wealthy but instead many of them live financially comfortable lives.

It's not just financial comfort - they get to exercise a kind of political power over their communities that few others in Australia do, aside from the very wealthy blue ribbon suburbs. The outer suburbs and poorer ones in the country are subject to decisions made at the state and national level, whereas Greens voters resist by instituting their brand of localism in councils (while preaching a globalist point of view, the negative externalities of which they make sure don't affect where they live). You only have to see how the inner northern public schools of Melbourne are the most racially segregated in the country to get an idea of how modern Greens voters don't practice what they preach.

How are Greens voters any more or less self-absorbed than any other voters? Everyone votes for their own interest, whether economic or otherwise.

Greens don't vote for their self-interest is the point I think some are making. Because of a financial security they vote for the interests of others.

Unless you count how a vote makes you feel, then by all means, Greens Party voters are voting in self-interest.

It's not about self interest, it's about an incongruity between platforms that only benefits Greens. Liberalising immigration policy while restricting land use has exactly what consequences? With that in mind it's no surprise that suburbs with million dollar medians vote Green more often than they do Labor.

Greens don't vote for their self-interest is the point I think some are making. Because of a financial security they vote for the interests of others.

Unless you count how a vote makes you feel, then by all means, Greens Party voters are voting in self-interest.

To me, that's a narrow, economic reading of self-interest. If some Greens voters are concerned, for example, about ensuring we have an environmentally sustainable society, that's a form of self-interest.

To me, that's a narrow, economic reading of self-interest. If some Greens voters are concerned, for example, about ensuring we have an environmentally sustainable society, that's a form of self-interest.

They're on a different level on Maslow's hierarchy of needs. An environmentally sustainable society has seen many jobs disappear that would belong to traditional working class ALP voters who were able to perform jobs that required a modest level of formal education.

To put it bluntly, a move to a more environmentally sustainable society is unlikely to take the food from a table surrounded by Greens Party voters.

I think the inner city is gone for the ALP.

They're on a different level on Maslow's hierarchy of needs. An environmentally sustainable society has seen many jobs disappear that would belong to traditional working class ALP voters who were able to perform jobs that required a modest level of formal education.

To put it bluntly, a move to a more environmentally sustainable society is unlikely to take the food from a table surrounded by Greens Party voters.

I think the inner city is gone for the ALP.

The internationalisation of the economy & the ability of capital to flow virtually unencumbered from country to country, has seen the loss of lower skilled manufacturing jobs, as well as the loss of such jobs due to mechanisation & computerisation. That has seen the biggest transfer of jobs from western to third world countries. ie Australia to China, India etc.

The push to the clean & green environment stuff has had a minimal impact on jobs by comparison.

Its easy to blame the greens. The fact is it was a Government & business inspired change.

The internationalisation of the economy & the ability of capital to flow virtually unencumbered from country to country, has seen the loss of lower skilled manufacturing jobs, as well as the loss of such jobs due to mechanisation & computerisation. That has seen the biggest transfer of jobs from western to third world countries. ie Australia to China, India etc.

The push to the clean & green environment stuff has had a minimal impact on jobs by comparison.

Its easy to blame the greens. The fact is it was a Government & business inspired change.

There's no part of my post that could be reasonable construed to blaming the Greens.

We don't have an ETS in Australia. For that I blame the Greens for their pigheadedness, but more importantly the fact that incredibly they ignored one of the truisms of history; that change happens in excruciatingly small increments. But hey, continue to let the good be the enemy of the pure.

We also would almost certainly have had same-sex marriage already in Australia if the plebiscite happened in the first half of 2017.

There's no part of my post that could be reasonable construed to blaming the Greens.

We don't have an ETS in Australia. For that I blame the Greens for their pigheadedness, but more importantly the fact that incredibly they ignored one of the truisms of history; that change happens in excruciatingly small increments. But hey, continue to let the good be the enemy of the pure.

We also would almost certainly have had same-sex marriage already in Australia if the plebiscite happened in the first half of 2017.
Nobody with actual skin in the game wanted that stupid vote anyway, more than anyone the Greens represented the will of the gay community.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back