List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
Leo Barry's son Isaac to debut for Oakleigh Chargers next week.

Excuse the intrusion, but I thought it was worth taking into account this bio Tom Barrass - Talent - SWITCH on TB in addition to all the other comments/opinions suggested above to helping understand why TB might want to stay or leave West Coast.
TB is highly intelligent, and a deep thinker, and one would expect that whatever happens at the end of the year he has deeply considered what a move to Sydney would mean to him and his family short and long term.
He will be a massive loss to the Eagles if a trade happens, a risk (only time will tell if the right move for club) the Eagles are wiling to take if the right trade can be done to help start a rebuild.
If he does join the Swans, you are getting much more then an A-Grade defender. I, and I expect other Eagles supporters will continue to watch TB and wish him every success in his career.
Interesting times ahead.
Hmm seems far too clever to be a footballer...

3 way trade Eagles/Swans/Hawks

West Coast

Give: Ryan, Barrass

Get: Pick 3

Sydney

Give: Pick 7, Pick 26 (R2 Haw 2022 trade)

Get: Barrass, Pick 33 (R2 Dogs 2022 trade)

Hawthorn

Give: Pick 3, Pick 33 (R2 Dogs 2022 trade)

Get: Pick 7, Pick 26 (R2 Haw 2022 trade), Ryan

West Coast

Sydney

Hawthorn

Pick 3 will be given to North as charity for losing Ben McKay.

Probably a pipe dream,

But Naughton, JUH, Darcy, Lobb till 2027, another first round Father Son KPF in this year's draft and Bruce who they've already had to push to defence. Surely someone has to make way and clubs tend to prefer to trade pre agents to get better compensation
Even if we rattled out Bruce - he is a big powerful forward / back .. might even come cheap

West Coast

Sydney

Hawthorn

Hawthorn lose out

Just want to leave a comment as a fan of the game and from a WCE supporter. I understand TB is 28 and there has been some push back on potential return due to that which i suppose is fair enough, but from my point of view he can be the difference from you guys contending again, and i'm not just saying that. He's a preimership player, AA squad member, BNF and our vice captain.

He's literally in his prime and the way he plays he can play well into his 30's and has had to carry the load the past two seasons, in a horrible team and much without Mcgovern. Put Barrass on the Swans, with a better team and guys like Rampe, Larkey etc around him and he will make you guys unreal. In our side him playing or not is 5+ turn around. Not many players regardless of our current team have that impact, the only other player is NN when he's firing.

Outside of Moore, i don't have anyone over Barrass, i rate him on par with Mcgovern during his prime. He takes the best KPD, intercepts as well as anyone, uses the ball well.

I look at the trade we did for TK, we obv sold the farm and it didn't work, but this is different. KP players are rare and you guys have a younger squad compared to ours when we traded for TK. Just my 2 cents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just want to leave a comment as a fan of the game and from a WCE supporter. I understand TB is 28 and there has been some push back on potential return due to that which i suppose is fair enough, but from my point of view he can be the difference from you guys contending again, and i'm not just saying that. He's a preimership player, AA squad member, BNF and our vice captain.

He's literally in his prime and the way he plays he can play well into his 30's and has had to carry the load the past two seasons, in a horrible team and much without Mcgovern. Put Barrass on the Swans, with a better team and guys like Rampe, Larkey etc around him and he will make you guys unreal. In our side him playing or not is 5+ turn around. Not many players regardless of our current team have that impact, the only other player is NN when he's firing.

Outside of Moore, i don't have anyone over Barrass, i rate him on par with Mcgovern during his prime. He takes the best KPD, intercepts as well as anyone, uses the ball well.

I look at the trade we did for TK, we obv sold the farm and it didn't work, but this is different. KP players are rare and you guys have a younger squad compared to ours when we traded for TK. Just my 2 cents.
Thoughtful post. Just one problem - Larkey doesn’t play for us.

Yiur kidding

Let’s go get another Stephens
8HxlkT.gif

The 2012 premiership was thanks to the Paul Roos team. Yes I know Beatson was part of that but Roos' influence to extract Mumford from the Cats & Kennedy from the Hawks cannot ever be underestimated & Horse has Roos to thank for inheriting that list of players who had the right chemistry & ticker to first be competitive which in turn allowed them to be close enough to pinch it.

2014 & 2022 were putrid while 2016 was yuck!

Horse is a very good coach but has struggled to develop a good list.
What did Roos do to extract Mumford from the Cats and Kennedy from the Hawks?

At the start of 2023, we had Rampe, T McCartin, P McCartin, Melican, Francis, Gould and Edwards as our key defenders.

I can see Paddy retiring with Barass coming in. Arnold will get an upgrade with Gould de-listed. It would be nice if we could somehow manufacture a way to get O'Sullivan who I see as a potential long term star for us, especially with Rampe on his last legs. Any thoughts on how this could be done if we give up our first rounder for Barass?

Surely everyone is agreement that there is no way we should be taking on a guy with a broken back on huge money and giving up a 1st round pick for the privilege.

If it is BS, then fine. But if it isn't ....
If it is a serious back fracture then no doubt we should be keeping well well away.

Another scenario might be that Swans did a medical and found the very beginnings of a minor stress fracture (the kind that many people carry around day to day without realising) and told WCE that they will only trade for Barrass if he can rest now and eradicate the fracture before it can become a thing.

I’d be comfortable with the second scenario.

At the start of 2023, we had Rampe, T McCartin, P McCartin, Melican, Francis, Gould and Edwards as our key defenders.

I can see Paddy retiring with Barass coming in. Arnold will get an upgrade with Gould de-listed. It would be nice if we could somehow manufacture a way to get O'Sullivan who I see as a potential long term star for us, especially with Rampe on his last legs. Any thoughts on how this could be done if we give up our first rounder for Barass?
Upgrading second and thirds as a package for GC's first this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back