List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
Good that Caiden got a bit of a talking up this morning on SEN (not so good for bidding though)

From around 18:30 mark

Also chat about Harry Demattia, George Stevens and others as well

You strike again with the great link.

F6690010-51EA-4C88-9897-EF97F2E12864.jpeg

The one down side to having such a great trade period is that it then means that you are likely to have a quiet draft, which is obviously our position. Just one pick that inspires conjecture and then Cleary. Makes listening to phantom draft calls less exciting than normal but it's interesting listening to calls other than the standard Cal Twomey.
I found this one quite informative and there was one little selection for the Swans that was somewhat surprising, not that it hurts us.

Don't agree with him but not without some logic.
Twomey good on the first 10-15 or so where he has the ins with the recruiters but after that he's no better than Fred from down the road who has done some homework.

Really interesting following this thread.
Apart from one or two it seems we have settled on using our first pick, then matching on Cleary, then taking rookies from the Academy.
So all the discussion centres on who to take with that first pick. There were a few wishfuls early on but as the market seems to have settled we have come down to a relatively limited number of possibles, mostly for different types of players.
Tall Defenders: Murphy, Schoenmaker or Zakostelsky.
Defenders: Leake, Hardeman, Roberts? or DeMattia?
Mids: not seeing a lot of enthusiasm outside of Cleary. Maybe Charlie Edwards?
Tall Forwards: only Reid seems to gain any interest at all.
Forwards: Tholstrup? Collard?
We can spend the next few weeks arguing the relative merits of those guys but to be honest probably none of them would be dead-set duds.
On the other hand, it's hard to see any of them breaking into seniors in 2024 either.

Exemplified by calling the reserves the VFL instead of the EFL to bring it into line with the SANFL and WAFL. Another opportunity lost.
One man's opportunity lost is another man's bias confirmed

In reality, the VFL should go back to being the festival of inbred bias and paranoia it always was and there should be serious funding put into an Eastern States Football League for anything above the Vic border. Imagine an 8-10 team home and away comp that includes Albury, Canberra, Newcastle, Cairns, Townsville plus the AFL clubs and maybe another Qld team (or NT) with a couple of gather rounds. It might work with the right funding and promotion, especially if you can double header regularly with AFL games.

The one down side to having such a great trade period is that it then means that you are likely to have a quiet draft, which is obviously our position. Just one pick that inspires conjecture and then Cleary. Makes listening to phantom draft calls less exciting than normal but it's interesting listening to calls other than the standard Cal Twomey.
I found this one quite informative and there was one little selection for the Swans that was somewhat surprising, not that it hurts us.

Enjoyable video, thanks.

Looking at all those GC academy picks The Swans need to buy Long Bay Jail before the man who ruined Sydney (Harry Triguboff) does. Knock it down and fill the land full of social housing for the families of former gun AFL/VFL players with sons in the 7-14 age bracket.
Pretty much the whole of Sydney is now unaffordable for any families that are likely to have kids playing AFL - our academy won't produce much from here on IMO. All those Melbourne families have moved to GC. Albo's 500,000+ immigration number will be the end of our academy.

Can't agree with this guy's choice for us at our first pick though I can see the reasoning. We've done amazingly well to remain relevant while not picking up truly high end draft picks except one in like.... forever. Wilson getting to us, or going up to get him would change that. But looks like we're going to have to take an educated gamble with someone much less likely.

There is an article today that says Bombers are paying McKay $1.5/year. I am astounded at this figure. He is certainly not worth that. He is an intercept defender. I am glad we did not get him. We needed a shut down defender. Joel Hamling will be that if he can get his body right. He has been that in two good sides and a premiership defender. His games for Freo this year were very good. Unfortunately for them he was injured for a good deal of the year.

If he can get his body right he will be a very good player for us.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

There is an article today that says Bombers are paying McKay $1.5/year. I am astounded at this figure. He is certainly not worth that. He is an intercept defender. I am glad we did not get him. We needed a shut down defender. Joel Hamling will be that if he can get his body right. He has been that in two good sides and a premiership defender. His games for Freo this year were very good. Unfortunately for them he was injured for a good deal of the year.

If he can get his body right he will be a very good player for us.

Just for 2024 the rest of the contract will be probably ~700k for the duration.

Its extremelyyy front loaded to the ninth degree.

Many people on here have said Dylan Stephan's was a wasted pick. I don't agree with that. He was very good in 2022. He was one of the few to stand up in the GF. I think he loss of form has more to do with his relationships with both coaches & teammates. Every footy club in the country has personality clashes. Some are easy enough to overlook & the team just gets on with it. But personality clashes between coaches & players are much harder to fix and players leave due to this.

Marvior Chol left Richmond because he & Hardwick hate each other. Leigh Matthews put up with Akka for years even though he wanted to throttle him. Eventually, due to player pressure he sacked him & moved him on. Say if Horse ended up at North, I think Stephens would do a Chol. Horse has had trouble with several players over the journey. Every coach does so he is not Robinson Crusoe. Coaches, like Matthews, tend to put up with players they do not like if they fit into team plans. I am not sure Clarko, Horse, Hardwick do. I think McRae does that is why he wins a premiership in his second year.

Enjoyable video, thanks.

Looking at all those GC academy picks The Swans need to buy Long Bay Jail before the man who ruined Sydney (Harry Triguboff) does. Knock it down and fill the land full of social housing for the families of former gun AFL/VFL players with sons in the 7-14 age bracket.
Pretty much the whole of Sydney is now unaffordable for any families that are likely to have kids playing AFL - our academy won't produce much from here on IMO. All those Melbourne families have moved to GC. Albo's 500,000+ immigration number will be the end of our academy.

Can't agree with this guy's choice for us at our first pick though I can see the reasoning. We've done amazingly well to remain relevant while not picking up truly high end draft picks except one in like.... forever. Wilson getting to us, or going up to get him would change that. But looks like we're going to have to take an educated gamble with someone much less likely.
We generally don't draft KPDs. We have brought in Hamling and have Francis, Edwards, Arnold, Melican and Tommy McCartin. Just can't see us taking a KPD. Archer Reid/Leake for me or Tholstrup. We are short on Medium defenders(2 years out) and forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We generally don't draft KPDs. We have brought in Hamling and have Francis, Edwards, Arnold, Melican and Tommy McCartin. Just can't see us taking a KPD. Archer Reid/Leake for me or Tholstrup. We are short on Medium defenders(2 years out) and forwards.

I don't want to draft a ruck with our first pick as you won't even begin to see him in the best 22 until his 3rd season and it is easier just to trade for a ruckman.

Enjoyable video, thanks.

Don't take the gamble...trade this years 1st round out for one in next years. Preferable <10. Eg swap our 12 for future crows 9(as it stands now). They would have 10,12 & 14 this year. Swans would have 9, 11 and 19 in 2024. (On current positions)
Three picks in the 1st round next year in a potentially strong midfield 1st round draft, gives a lot of room to move.

Last edited:
Many people on here have said Dylan Stephan's was a wasted pick. I don't agree with that. He was very good in 2022. He was one of the few to stand up in the GF. I think he loss of form has more to do with his relationships with both coaches & teammates. Every footy club in the country has personality clashes. Some are easy enough to overlook & the team just gets on with it. But personality clashes between coaches & players are much harder to fix and players leave due to this.

Marvior Chol left Richmond because he & Hardwick hate each other. Leigh Matthews put up with Akka for years even though he wanted to throttle him. Eventually, due to player pressure he sacked him & moved him on. Say if Horse ended up at North, I think Stephens would do a Chol. Horse has had trouble with several players over the journey. Every coach does so he is not Robinson Crusoe. Coaches, like Matthews, tend to put up with players they do not like if they fit into team plans. I am not sure Clarko, Horse, Hardwick do. I think McRae does that is why he wins a premiership in his second year.

Stephens struggled because he couldn’t put up consistent enough performances to push others out of the team and make himself an indispensable member of the best 22. He wasn’t good enough on the outside OR the inside to push out other players, and lacked the flexibility to play other roles. Those are the only reasons.

Despite this, the Swans still offered him a new contract and their preference was to retain him…

Its a hypothetical thread - the entire purpose of this thread is propose trade & draft possibilities - so I'm actually pleased people embrace the context of the thread and participate.

People are allowed to get as outrageous as they like, and others are okay to disagree so long as its respectful.

i occasionally post while wearing only a top hat and jesus sandals ... you mean like that?
(i also have an armadillo onesie but the claws make it hard to type)

Coaches maybe, but im not sure about the players. Dyl was just in bali with half the team. Seems unlikely be would be invited if he had issues with them

Looking at our list and list needs with a view to the draft and our pick 12. I know the "we always take best available" line...but
Defence-Tall
We generally don't draft KPDs
Defence-Medium-Small
Rampe and Lloyd are two years away from the ultimate sunset.
De Mattia and Leake are prime candidates here.
I like Leake because he is Rampe like. Tall at 187. Has a leap. Can kick goals too.
De Mattia has real pace and can play in all 3rds of the ground. At 185 could play small defender/general defender and midfield.
Midfield
We are stacked. Have brought in Adams and Jordon. Probably Cleary. Stephens out. Have Sheldrick, Roberts, Corey Warner and Mitchell pushing up for spots. No real needs here. Our best mids are mostly young and improving too.
Ruck
The addition of Grundy is the thing that dreams are made of. Arguably the 2nd best ruck for a packet of Samboys is unbelievable.
We have Ladhams as backup. Stretch at a stretch. Forwards like McLean and Amartey and Buller can ruck too.
We should pick up a rookie ruck. Cat B Caleb May or another Cat A prospect.
Forwards-Tall.
McDonald, McClean and Amartey if all are fit and available are a great trio.
McDonald is the young bull on the rise. Potential gun forward for the next 10 years.
McClean has stamped himself as a contested FF. Immovable. Reliable. Injury free. Defies all criticism. Keeps delivering.
Amartey is the wild card. Regularly injured but capable of winning games on his own with quick bags of goals. Then gets injured again.
Buller has apparently impressed and has played well in reserves.
Another developing KPF in Archer Reid would be a good addition at our pick.
Forwards-Medium.
Heeney and Hayward are best 22 here. Some may argue with that opinion.
Parker and Adams can rest here. With the addition of Adams Parker may play more forward. Adams will be around for 3 years. Another medium forward like Tholstrup would not be a bad option.
Forwards-Small.
Papley is a gun. If not THE best he is close.
Wicks is an honest small forward who provides good pressure and does alot of good things. I like him.
Konstanty is hopefully over his injuries and ready to press for games.
Apparently Rider is a potential Cat B pick here.

Looking at our list and list needs with a view to the draft and our pick 12. I know the "we always take best available" line...but
Defence-Tall
We generally don't draft KPDs
Defence-Medium-Small
Rampe and Lloyd are two years away from the ultimate sunset.
De Mattia
and Leake are prime candidates here.
I like Leake because he is Rampe like. Tall at 187. Has a leap. Can kick goals too.
De Mattia has real pace and can play in all 3rds of the ground. At 185 could play small defender/general defender and midfield.
Midfield
We are stacked. Have brought in Adams and Jordon. Probably Cleary. Stephens out. Have Sheldrick, Roberts, Corey Warner and Mitchell pushing up for spots. No real needs here. Our best mids are mostly young and improving too.
Ruck
The addition of Grundy is the thing that dreams are made of. Arguably the 2nd best ruck for a packet of Samboys is unbelievable.
We have Ladhams as backup. Stretch at a stretch. Forwards like McLean and Amartey and Buller can ruck too.
We should pick up a rookie ruck. Cat B Caleb May or another Cat A prospect.
Forwards-Tall.
McDonald, McClean and Amartey if all are fit and available are a great trio.
McDonald is the young bull on the rise. Potential gun forward for the next 10 years.
McClean has stamped himself as a contested FF. Immovable. Reliable. Injury free. Defies all criticism. Keeps delivering.
Amartey is the wild card. Regularly injured but capable of winning games on his own with quick bags of goals. Then gets injured again.
Buller has apparently impressed and has played well in reserves.
Another developing KPF in Archer Reid would be a good addition at our pick.
Forwards-Medium.
Heeney and Hayward are best 22 here. Some may argue with that opinion.
Parker and Adams can rest here. With the addition of Adams Parker may play more forward. Adams will be around for 3 years. Another medium forward like Tholstrup would not be a bad option.
Forwards-Small.
Papley is a gun. If not THE best he is close.
Wicks is an honest small forward who provides good pressure and does alot of good things. I like him.
Konstanty is hopefully over his injuries and ready to press for games.
Apparently Rider is a potential Cat B pick here.

"the ultimate sunset"
geez, that sounds very grim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back