List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If, at season's end, Fagan and Gunston have an honest discussion, I would welcome Gunston to the coaching panel. Then, if he was keen, I could see Silvagni as a big upgrade on Gunston.
Silvagni is an unrestricted free agent, which means he's among the top 25% earners ok Carlton's list. Would that be too much of the cap space?

Doesn't unrestricted mean he's NOT in the top 25%?

Would not reckon he was on big coin. My comment was dependant on he would not be on a big contract. A decent role player.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to stay away from Carlton's cast offs. He is a nondescript third tall type who was not much chop there and wont get any better here. In my opinion.

I get what you’re saying but I think he fits into more a Lyons situation where the skills are there but the situation isn’t right. It’s not like we are grabbing Dow who I think would better fit that bill.

He is a decently athletic third tall who can take a mark but is also fast enough to apply pressure around the ground. If needed he also can float back as well.

We currently really lack KPP depth as well and Gunston is only hear for another year max and it takes longer to develop a draftee. Maybe Fullerton can play that third tall but Silvagni has shown much at this stage.

I get what you’re saying but I think he fits into more a Lyons situation where the skills are there but the situation isn’t right. It’s not like we are grabbing Dow who I think would better fit that bill.

He is a decently athletic third tall who can take a mark but is also fast enough to apply pressure around the ground. If needed he also can float back as well.

We currently really lack KPP depth as well and Gunston is only hear for another year max and it takes longer to develop a draftee. Maybe Fullerton can play that third tall but Silvagni has shown much at this stage.

KPP depth is an issue, no doubt. Even then it would be a waste of a list spot to recruit a player who cant keep his spot in a poor Carlton outfit. Lions recruiters will have better prospects in mind, I reckon.

KPP depth is an issue, no doubt. Even then it would be a waste of a list spot to recruit a player who cant keep his spot in a poor Carlton outfit. Lions recruiters will have better prospects in mind, I reckon.

Yes but also Lyons literally never got a game at Gold Coast either. Like I said I feel like the talent is there but it’s not the best situation.

Yes but also Lyons literally never got a game at Gold Coast either. Like I said I feel like the talent is there but it’s not the best situation.

To add on to myself. Levi Casboult, Liam Stocker and Will Setterfield have left for other teams in the past two years having done not much at Carlton at all. They have all been very good at their new clubs having all been getting consistent games in the senior side (Setters was but has been injured for the last couple months).

The other two that noticeably left are Sam Petrevski-Seton and Liam Jones. The former admittedly hasn’t done much at West Coast as a former fifth pick but I feel like he fits in the Paddy Dow category more. Liam Jones was good at Carlton and good at the Dogs so I feel like he was less relevant as well.

To add on to myself. Levi Casboult, Liam Stocker and Will Setterfield have left for other teams in the past two years having done not much at Carlton at all. They have all been very good at their new clubs having all been getting consistent games in the senior side (Setters was but has been injured for the last couple months).

The other two that noticeably left are Sam Petrevski-Seton and Liam Jones. The former admittedly hasn’t done much at West Coast as a former fifth pick but I feel like he fits in the Paddy Dow category more. Liam Jones was good at Carlton and good at the Dogs so I feel like he was less relevant as well.
It's hard to judge SPS in West Coast's team. Really hard for anyone to look decent in that team currently (apart from Oscar Allen).

Not going to put any thought into it but couldn't see any of these players walking into our side.

Because we don't really have holes in those positions.

We do have a hole at third tall forward, and lack KPP depth.

Agreed but a circular argument. Still no to any of these Carlton players including Silvagni. The quality of our recent recruits prove that we can do better than a limited Carlton reserves player.

Not going to put any thought into it but couldn't see any of these players walking into our side.

Could see Casboult as third tall 100% (or second with Hippy as third).

Stocker has had a better year than Kiddy honestly and if we recruited him over say McKenna for run and carry he would’ve 100% been in.

Setterfield is a maybe, but that’s mainly because we have two elite inside players already. I would say falls into the Lyons basket of misfortune.

SPS probably wouldn’t I can agree on that.

Liam Jone 100% would be a lock in the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Esava Ratugolea would be a perfect recruit IMO. OOC I believe? Nice size, recently gone down back and acquitted himself well. Would offer KPP and break-glass ruck coverage. Only 24 so development in him yet. Mobile but fairly accountable. Has flaws but anyone at his price will.

Could become something between Joel Patfull and Jason Roe for us.

Esava Ratugolea would be a perfect recruit IMO. OOC I believe? Nice size, recently gone down back and acquitted himself well. Would offer KPP and break-glass ruck coverage. Only 24 so development in him yet. Mobile but fairly accountable. Has flaws but anyone at his price will.

I think you're undertaking him and his value. There will be plenty of competition if he looks elsewhere

Port bound most likely.

He's athletic yet so vanilla

Geelong's defence has been a lot better when he hasn't played and their other options have been fit - just too tall with him there and all he really does right now is go for intercept marks. Which is a great skill to have but given he hasn't played down back much yet he probably has scope to improve in terms of positioning etc.

It probably wouldn’t happen as we seem to be to loyal to Oscar, but with the ruck merry-go-round set to go round again this year, do we try for an upgrade?

I personally rate Oscar as a below average starting ruckman in the league, somewhere between say 11th and 14th. Can't see an obvious upgrade that wouldn't cost too much in the way of trade capital or salary cap.

Hayes from Port, Sweet from the Dogs and Flynn from GWS seem like potential options, though whether they'd come to be behind Oscar is a different conversation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back