Blake Coleman
Carter Michael (R)
Darryl McDowell-White jnr (R)
Ryan Lester (R)
Tom Fullarton
Conor McKenna (R)
Shadeau Brain (R)
Darragh Joyce (R)

Getting closer to decision time for these guys.. Adams and Rich to retire, maybe Zorko as well depending on if we win the flag and/or how he gets through the rest of the season injury wise.

The others that I think will be under the gun are Mathieson, Coleman and Michael. Expecting Joyce to be retained unless the highly unlikely happens and Adams plays again.

OOC 2023:
Harry Sharp
Marcus Adams
Rhys Mathieson (R)
Kai Lohmann
Daniel Rich
Nakia Cockatoo (R)
Deven Robertson
Dayne Zorko
Blake Coleman
Carter Michael (R)
Darryl McDowell-White jnr (R)
Ryan Lester (R)
Tom Fullarton
Conor McKenna (R)
Shadeau Brain (R)
Darragh Joyce (R)

Getting closer to decision time for these guys.. Adams and Rich to retire, maybe Zorko as well depending on if we win the flag and/or how he gets through the rest of the season injury wise.

The others that I think will be under the gun are Mathieson, Coleman and Michael. Expecting Joyce to be retained unless the highly unlikely happens and Adams plays again.
We have to take three picks to the draft, is that right? i also understand that there is not alot in the Academy/father-son category that we will want to pick up. So i can see most of these players being recontract for at least a year with draft picks traded into 2024 (however that works). Just my take on what other posters are saying.

I am starting to like Joyce. His marking is looking strong; and quick and mobile for his size. Taking a leaf out of Paynes book and not trying anything fancy with disposals.

Oscar Allen. Really should be putting some work in to getting him out of WC.

He’s essentially the only good player on their list, and given his age they’ll be intending to build a team around him. Short of him wanting to leave (which there’s no talk of at this stage), they will pay whatever it takes to keep him there

We have to take three picks to the draft, is that right? i also understand that there is not alot in the Academy/father-son category that we will want to pick up. So i can see most of these players being recontract for at least a year with draft picks traded into 2024 (however that works). Just my take on what other posters are saying.

I am starting to like Joyce. His marking is looking strong; and quick and mobile for his size. Taking a leaf out of Paynes book and not trying anything fancy with disposals.
We have to take a minimum of one (1) live selection.

The other two selections can be used to upgrade rookies to the senior list.

That one live selection may not have to be a 18 year old either. There’s a possibility a team might be able to draft a delisted free agent, or a mature age draftee as their only live selection.

Stephen Conole did say recently that we would be "active in the draft this year" how active is the moot question.
We can actively move all our picks in 2024, draft Billy Richardson with a 60’s something pick, then upgrade McKenna and Cockatoo (or Brain or DMW jr.)

Thoughts on this from Fox briztoon?

BRISBANE LIONS

Draft picks:
30, 49, 54, 60

List chasm: The Lions have a lot of forward depth, but perhaps need that gritty role player, with the club ranked 16th in the AFL for forward-half pressure. Club legend Alastair Lynch put this on the agenda pre-season, telling foxfooty.com.au: “I feel the forward line just needs a bit of grit that, on their down day, they’ve still got to compete, scratch out that average game after looking like it’s going to be a poor game. It’s just an individual thing to have a nil-all draw than go down four-zip.” Charlie Cameron and Lincoln McCarthy are their best pressure players but are more renowned for their goalkicking prowess, while Jack Gunston was clearly recruited to the club for his class and ability to hit the scoreboard.

Ideal draft prospects: While many at the top of this year’s draft class aren’t renowned for their forward-half pressure, the Lions might be able to get a decent option with their mid to late picks. Versatile 184cm Stingrays product Harry DeMattia could be an option. He has genuine speed, clean hands and versatility, yet his pressure game could appeal to Brisbane. The other option could be South Adelaide’s Jack Delean, who was among his state’s best performers during a disappointing national carnival with a team-high 9.3 and tops the SANFL Under 18s goalkicking table with 30 majors. While Delean is more renowned for his goal nous, there have been glimpses of his forward pressure game throughout the year, albeit it’s still a work in progress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the 'forward-half pressure' stat quoted - there was a good thread on the website formerly known as twitter yesterday about issues with the champion data's 'pressure rating' stat from one of the guys who writes the weekly ABC AFL column:

Here is champion data's explanation of the stat for context:

The two kids mentioned are good kids, but we still have Blake Coleman, Darryl White jr, Lohmann and Cockatoo on the list, none of whom I’d be keen to move on yet.

As mentioned elsewhere, we have a pretty good small forward in the U16 age group, in our academy. Granted, that’s three drafts away.

And we have another in next year’s academy crop who might be something.

And Levi Ashcroft probably starts his career as a half forward for us.

Even though Linc and Charlie are getting on, small/medium forward isn’t high on my priority list atm.

On the 'forward-half pressure' stat quoted - there was a good thread on the website formerly known as twitter yesterday about issues with the champion data's 'pressure rating' stat from one of the guys who writes the weekly ABC AFL column:

Here is champion data's explanation of the stat for context:

He also said post clearance pressure and pre clearance pressure only indicates victory in 58% and 53% of games though?

This stat is seeming pretty pointless lol.

He also said post clearance pressure and pre clearance pressure only indicates victory in 58% and 53% of games though?

This stat is seeming pretty pointless lol.
Pressure rating just means how often an opposition's disposal is affected by pressure. This metric looks good for teams that are tackle-heavy, and get big numbers around the contest so that by default, more disposals are pressured.

I think a more useful measurement is how effective you are at preventing what the opposition wants to do. As an example, last year Geelong's pressure rating wasn't outstanding, but as they set up so well behind the ball, that regardless whether the incoming kick is pressured or unpressured, they were a good chance of nullifying it or intercepting it in their favour, due to superior set up behind the ball, and then ability to cut through opposition once they win it back. Indeed, if you (in theory) can guarantee that you intercept every incoming ball, it wouldn't matter if you did not record a single tackle or smother for the game - as long you can stop the opposition doing what they want, and win the ball back and do what you want, pressure does not bear great correlation.

This year, regularly our "pressure rating" has been low, either in the average or below average zone. Yet it has not stopped us from stopping the opposition from scoring. This is mainly because we've moved away from a clearance-centric team, to one with good balance between clearances/contested ball/intercept game.

PAYNE TRAIN GATHERS STEAM

BRISBANE is in talks to lock away improved defender Jack Payne, with the Lions moving to secure the club's former Academy graduate to a long-term extension.

Payne still has one season to run on the three-year deal he signed in 2021, but it's understood discussions are progressing over a significant extension that will tie him to the Lions for the foreseeable future.

The imposing 23-year-old has become a mainstay in Brisbane's premiership push this season, playing in all but one game and forming a formidable defensive partnership with fellow Lions Academy star Harris Andrews.

Drafted to Brisbane with pick No.54 in 2017, Payne endured an injury-hit start to his AFL career but has since played 44 games across six seasons and has already featured a career-high 17 times in 2023.

His imminent re-signing is set to continue a spree of contract calls for Brisbane recently with the club also announcing extensions for James Madden (2024), Callum Ah Chee (2025), Henry Smith (2026) and Jaspa Fletcher (2026). – Riley Beveridge

BRISBANE is in talks to lock away improved defender Jack Payne, with the Lions moving to secure the club's former Academy graduate to a long-term extension.

Payne still has one season to run on the three-year deal he signed in 2021, but it's understood discussions are progressing over a significant extension that will tie him to the Lions for the foreseeable future.

The imposing 23-year-old has become a mainstay in Brisbane's premiership push this season, playing in all but one game and forming a formidable defensive partnership with fellow Lions Academy star Harris Andrews.

Drafted to Brisbane with pick No.54 in 2017, Payne endured an injury-hit start to his AFL career but has since played 44 games across six seasons and has already featured a career-high 17 times in 2023.

His imminent re-signing is set to continue a spree of contract calls for Brisbane recently with the club also announcing extensions for James Madden (2024), Callum Ah Chee (2025), Henry Smith (2026) and Jaspa Fletcher (2026). – Riley Beveridge
Individually there are have been some impressive years from our youngish players. Obviously Will, fan favourite Wilmot, latest rising star Fletcher but for me, for what we required after Adams went down, Payne has been sensational and very glad to see him do so well this year. The more games/confidence the better he will get as well.

That is fantastic news, he is a good 'un that's for sure.

Our core side is still quite young, bodes well for the next few years.

My biggest concern with this is that the club might inadvertently offer Jackson Paine the long term deal which wouldn’t be ideal.

I wonder what sort of money Jack will be on for his new contract? It's hard to get elite Key Position players and I have no doubt other clubs would be offering Jack some very good coin... he is not quite elite yet but IMO almost certainly will be.

He will definitely be getting a massive pay rise from what he is on at the moment, I'm thinking we would offer him 5 years at 5-600K per season minimum.

I wonder what sort of money Jack will be on for his new contract? It's hard to get elite Key Position players and I have no doubt other clubs would be offering Jack some very good coin... he is not quite elite yet but IMO almost certainly will be.

He will definitely be getting a massive pay rise from what he is on at the moment, I'm thinking we would offer him 5 years at 5-600K per season minimum.
I'm not sure he's ever going to be close to "elite".

Edit: see later post for disclaimer.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back