Mega Thread Adam Goodes (Trolls will be carded - read OP!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Now I'm not the biggest fan of Sam Newman but I have to say a lot of his points are in line with public sentiment. I haven't liked Goodes for years and that stems from little things he has done on the field that I didn't like. I also have numerous other players that I have hated for the exact same things, I have never once booed Goodes or these other players but if I did, I would be offended at being called a racist (which I would be) because of my booing. Just like 'black' people don't like being generalised and take offence, I don't like being generalised into a group of 'European people' who invaded Australia, I was not a part of that yet Goodes implies that I am, that to me is offensive.

As for the black face situation, humour is in a variety of tastes. Some are all for this type of humour, while others aren't, but those that are should not be punished for it when it is not infact taking the piss out of 'black' people...yes when it was first introduced it was making fun of them no doubt, now it isn't though. Now black face is on the same level as white face to me. Yes, people have been using the argument of white chicks and how that isn't racist, yet black face is, sadly the majority can't express that opinion correctly. In white chicks the Wayan brothers were clearly taking the piss out of 'white' women as a generalisation, just as black face was originally taking the piss out of African Americans. To me both were gross hyperbole that should never have been taken serious and instead viewed as humour, despite some people not being a fan of it.

Sorry to intrude but,
Just thought i'd post this on here cause the main board thread just has too much nonsense and bullshit posts on it and actually liked reading most of you guys' comments on here..

You have made some good points.

I think that the anti-discrimination and anti-racism stance in recent decades was completely necessary but has now gone too far and that many people have become way too sensitive about these issues. It has got to the point that many people are scared of saying the wrong thing for fear or being castigated, or as the case these days, charged with a criminal offence. Everyone regardless of race, sex, religion, disability, etc should be treated equally. Having laws, for example, that restrict free speak against one group, whilst it is okay to make the same comments directed to another group are inappropriate. Same goes for having quotas in workplaces.

Back onto Goodesy though. Whether the boos directed towards him are racist or not is debatable. But the fact is that, whatever the reason, it has gone too far and it's time for it to stop. Booing someone on an ad hoc basis for a head high tackle or flattening a player is one thing. Even if it goes for a couple of weeks. But this indemic booing of Goodes for what must be about the last 18 months is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Now I'm not the biggest fan of Sam Newman but I have to say a lot of his points are in line with public sentiment. I haven't liked Goodes for years and that stems from little things he has done on the field that I didn't like. I also have numerous other players that I have hated for the exact same things, I have never once booed Goodes or these other players but if I did, I would be offended at being called a racist (which I would be) because of my booing. Just like 'black' people don't like being generalised and take offence, I don't like being generalised into a group of 'European people' who invaded Australia, I was not a part of that yet Goodes implies that I am, that to me is offensive.

As for the black face situation, humour is in a variety of tastes. Some are all for this type of humour, while others aren't, but those that are should not be punished for it when it is not infact taking the piss out of 'black' people...yes when it was first introduced it was making fun of them no doubt, now it isn't though. Now black face is on the same level as white face to me. Yes, people have been using the argument of white chicks and how that isn't racist, yet black face is, sadly the majority can't express that opinion correctly. In white chicks the Wayan brothers were clearly taking the piss out of 'white' women as a generalisation, just as black face was originally taking the piss out of African Americans. To me both were gross hyperbole that should never have been taken serious and instead viewed as humour, despite some people not being a fan of it.

Sorry to intrude but,
Just thought i'd post this on here cause the main board thread just has too much nonsense and bullshit posts on it and actually liked reading most of you guys' comments on here..
No. Just no. As someone with Indigenous and African American family members, I can say categorically that black face is definitely not okay by them. Ever. It may not be offensive to you (god knows why) but take this feedback on board if you can.

Can anyone that goes to the footy show recordings please boo whenever Sam is on camera or goes to speak? Everytime. Every single time he tries to make a noise look move or breath. Don't let up. Just keep doing it. Over & over again. Week after week after week after week...
Christ, should I even bother asking? Did he quote the old days?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Christ, should I even bother asking? Did he quote the old days?
Big speil about how Adam shouldn't have instigated it by throw an imaginary spear if he wasn't prepared to cop the abuse for it. Apparently if he wants to bring politics he needs to be prepared to cop it but he's not "adequetly prepared" to deal with the booing & run away instead.... blah blah blah think mb flog that doesn't get it. Funny how Garry, Brayshaw, StevieJ & Monty allbacked Adam but the two old blokes in Sam & Billy both couldn't bring themselves to agree... threw up some "how we going to police it" remarks. Clearly no fn idea.

No. Just no. As someone with Indigenous and African American family members, I can say categorically that black face is definitely not okay by them. Ever. It may not be offensive to you (god knows why) but take this feedback on board if you can.
You are speaking the truth

You are speaking the truth
I'm speaking for my family, that's all I can do. I had high hopes my nephew would be the answer to our ruck problems in about 15 years time, the kid is gonna be a monster:) But after all this the chances of him playing AFL is few & far between.

Hey guys, I feel emotionally invested enough to come here and post.

First of all I am so proud of my club for getting on the front foot for other clubs to follow. My club has improved off fiend and on field and this is just another sign to me that we have turned the corner.

With the above out of the way, I have to say in all honesty I have booed Goodes, In my defense it was last year, in the last game we played against you, and it was for the dive in the second quarter. At the time I felt nothing off it, as it was no like I boo'ed every possession he has etc BUT I cant help feel ashamed by it today. Simply due to what we are witnessing now, is simply Vilification at best or down right Racism. In any form, vilification/bullying should be stamped out in all forms.

What changed my view was simply watching the WC game with my sons, have 4 boys from teenage years to 4 years old. My 8 year old started boo'ing goodes and when I asked him why?, he said "cause everyone is doing it and you did it at the sydney game last year". That forced me to turn the TV off and have a good conversation with the 4 of them, let me just say it opened my eyes.

No person should feel its a right to victimize someone doing there job, even if that job is on the footy field.

Anyway, sorry about rambling nature of my post. I really hope Adam continues playing AFL as the game needs its characters and would be poorer without him.

He deserves more.
I reckon your boys will remember that conversation for a long time, as will you.

I'm speaking for my family, that's all I can do. I had high hopes my nephew would be the answer to our ruck problems in about 15 years time, the kid is gonna be a monster:) But after all this the chances of him playing AFL is few & far between.
I put this whole scenario down to ignorance. And you can't let ignorant people rule your life so tell your nephew to be proud of who he is and get out there. Only if he plays for the Swans of course :)

Marngrook Footy show worth watching tonight :

Thanks for posting this. Really appreciate it. Been a ridiculously great show. Got a bit emotional when Chris Jono was talking about how it's impacting him and his family. It has a huge impact.

Jono made so many bloody great remarks. What a champion. Seriously. Superstar.

Sam Newmans comments are blinded by his clear racial cloud. He's always been a racist, and he always will be. He's a self-entitled, delusional flog whose views are so terribly, terribly wrong. The fact that people listen and draw ideas from him is only what is going to make this countries racist nature worse than it already is. Here's the proof:

The quicker people like this flog get out of the country or die, the better our future will be.

Thanks for posting this. Really appreciate it. Been a ridiculously great show. Got a bit emotional when Chris Jono was talking about how it's impacting him and his family. It has a huge impact.

Jono made so many bloody great remarks. What a champion. Seriously. Superstar.
Would love to be there when he talks to Akermanis today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back