Traded Adam Treloar [traded w/ #28 to Collingwood for #7, #65, 2016 first rounder]

Remove this Banner Ad

No I am not assuming that. But a 1st rounder is the prerequisite to start thinking about toppling our bid. And it most be better than ours too. And the cap space. So that narrows the field a bit. A club can throw the kitchen sink at it and maybe get him. So be it but it will be a major bloodletting for them.
Yes I agree.
Club's like Hawthorn and Geelong are very determined when they have their sights set on someone though.
Hawthorn don't care what they pay if the player suits their needs and Geelong are very ruthat turning over their senior premiership players to create salary cap room.
Collingwood are certainly the favourites but they may have to be more ruthless than they think to get the deal done.
Swan to Richmond maybe? LOL

Treloar's manager has stated he has no intention of going to Carlton and not compensating GWS.

Yes I agree.
Club's like Hawthorn and Geelong are very determined when they have their sights set on someone though.
Hawthorn don't care what they pay if the player suits their needs and Geelong are very ruthat turning over their senior premiership players to create salary cap room.
Collingwood are certainly the favourites but they may have to be more ruthless than they think to get the deal done.
Swan to Richmond maybe? LOL
I would like to think we have done our share of turning over senior players in the past years. We don't have to do anything extra.
We have more then enough cap room, well placed with picks, enough trade currency too so unfortunately your trolling efforts are in vain. The other clubs have to lift their game to get him.
Cheers :)

Was interesting that his manager said Andy Maher is to blame for the recent discussion and actually said a Carlton insider fed him the rumour. It was probably to deflect the Carlise decision.

He also said GWS lowballed him and ignored their counter offer so they had to look elsewhere.

Well i guess when you are getting thrown offers of $700k then reasonable offers must seem like lowballs. Maybe the kid should ask what some of the Hawks premiership stars have been getting paid. Plenty of their list would be accepting the 'lowballs' I'd imagine. Good luck to him, hopefully he can follow in the successful footsteps of his mate Bucks....

Well i guess when you are getting thrown offers of $700k then reasonable offers must seem like lowballs. Maybe the kid should ask what some of the Hawks premiership stars have been getting paid. Plenty of their list would be accepting the 'lowballs' I'd imagine. Good luck to him, hopefully he can follow in the successful footsteps of his mate Bucks....
If he is keen to stay and Fremantle take McCarthy's contract value off your salary cap, as well as supplying a player (at our salary cap cost) to your list so you don't have pay a draftee, perhaps you can keep Treloar?

We'll happily offer a late 1st rounder this year (Yarran pick) and a mid to late 1st rounder next year (Henderson pick). Happy to exchange 2nd rounders this year too for academy points.

Gets us in the ballpark and forces Collingwoods hand a bit. Which is also a win as it makes it more likely Aish falls to us in the PSD.

We'll happily offer a late 1st rounder this year (Yarran pick) and a mid to late 1st rounder next year (Henderson pick). Happy to exchange 2nd rounders this year too for academy points.

Gets us in the ballpark and forces Collingwoods hand a bit. Which is also a win as it makes it more likely Aish falls to us in the PSD.

You will take all of the trade week to get a first for Yarran if you are lucky. The points value will still be less than Collingwood's.

You will take all of the trade week to get a first for Yarran of you are lucky.

All things considered he's worth 15-20 IMO. Some talk the Hawks might be intrested at 18. IF Richmond are truly intrested then 14 comes into play. He's a better player than anyone they're likely to pick up at 14 most likely (although that's pure speculation).

Happily trade that and the other 1st rounder we'll be getting for Henderson, and some steak knives.

It won't be enough to get him across but it forces Collingwood go go 2 x 1st rounders and makes it more likely Aish falls to us in the PSD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yarran deal will take most of the trade period as Richmond are refusing to give up a first round pick for him. By that time, Treloar will be in black & white.

What he is worth and what Richmond will give for him are two different issues.

If he is keen to stay and Fremantle take McCarthy's contract value off your salary cap, as well as supplying a player (at our salary cap cost) to your list so you don't have pay a draftee, perhaps you can keep Treloar?

This salary cap pressure thing that people keep posting is a myth. Steve Johnson was offered a 5 year deal to play/coach at $800k a year. Kids need to be taught they are not worth that kind of money. Treloar is very good player but not $700k good at this stage of his career.

This salary cap pressure thing that people keep posting is a myth. Steve Johnson was offered a 5 year deal to play/coach at $800k a year. Kids need to be taught they are not worth that kind of money. Treloar is very good player but not $700k good at this stage of his career.
If you think he will be worth that in a few years having Fremantle subsidise the cost of keeping him until that point could be tempting? He isn't going to go back to the Giants when he meets the salary expectations.
Nope.

Kind of spits in the face of players who stayed for unders
I see your point.

If you think he will be worth that in a few years having Fremantle subsidise the cost of keeping him until that point could be tempting? He isn't going to go back to the Giants when he meets the salary expectations.

Completely fine with losing him when players equal to or better on field have accepted less $$$.

I think the main reason he changed his tune from "I want to stay" to "I'm going" is because of something going on at the club, likely a combination of salary cap pressure meaning they couldn't offer him more than an average deal, and the club's own desire to stock up on enough first round picks to pay for their Academy kids. I reckon GWS were aware they were going to have to lose a big fish at some point in order to make their list management plans work, and I think they decided that player was going to be Treloar.

Just my own little conspiracy theory, not backed up by any inside knowledge or anything.

Feeling a bit backed up by these comments... http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-09/treloar-wasnt-a-priority-for-giants-says-manager

Isn't that cutting off your nose to spite your face?

It could cost team success to lose a quality midfielder.
GWS are in the fortunate position whereby they've had enough concessions over the past few years that there's 2 or 3 kids probably already on their list who will be able to step up and fill the void of Treloar leaving.

This hurts them much less than Freo losing a Fyfe, or Collingwood losing a Beams or Pendlebury. They can afford to take a hit if it allows them to keep the kids who have re-signed for unders happy.

What I read in that is the player's manager is complaining that his player didn't get offered more cash. GWS has to manage an entire list, not just cater to Adam. I don't think the Giants chose to lose Adam, I think Adam decided that earning the same as Shiel wasn't sufficient and hence packed his bags.

Looking at the quotes:

"We had an offer on the table from GWS which we thought was inadequate, we told them we thought it was inadequate, we gave them another number which I think was more than fair and reasonable which he'd be happy to accept."

GWS offered what they could afford, Adam/Blucher wanted more.

"(Adam) would have signed for two years on the spot (but) there was no movement (from the club) so when we realised there was going to be no movement we had an obligation to seek some alternatives."

GWS offered what they could afford, Adam/Blucher wanted more.

"We think that what they're (Collingwood) intending to offer is more than fair and reasonable for a player who obviously wasn't a priority for GWS."

Saying Adam wasn't a priority is a bit of a joke. GWS offered what they could afford, Adam/Blucher wanted more. Maybe he'd rather GWS had forced out a Shiel or a Coniglio instead of treating them all consistently and fairly?

"At the end of the day there was a whole bunch of players who were out of contract and one by one they picked them off through the course of the year."

Because the various players signed the offers put to them. By the sounds of his first comment, Adam had a contract offer from very early on.

"They signed them without coming to Adam with what we thought was anything like a fair and reasonable number and that’s their prerogative."

And we're back to GWS offering what they could afford, Adam/Blucher wanted more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back