Preview Adelaide vs West Coast Saturday July 11th @ Domain

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely you didn't mean to use the word "spurious"?

I hope not anyway.

In a business sense it is.

This club was massively guilty of letting sentimentality infect and disrupt football operations when Dean Bailey was diagnosed, in particular the decision to not replace him, instead leaving Noble to do two jobs not very well to the detriment of our season.

I'm hoping we have new, more pragmatic people running things now - or that people learned their lesson. Individual people can mourn in whatever way they choose to, but club operations must continue on to a professional standard, with as little interruption as possible.

In a business sense it is.

This club was massively guilty of letting sentimentality infect and disrupt football operations when Dean Bailey was diagnosed, in particular the decision to not replace him, instead leaving Noble to do two jobs not very well to the detriment of our season.

I'm hoping we have new, more pragmatic people running things now - or that people learned their lesson. Individual people can mourn in whatever way they choose to, but club operations must continue on to a professional standard, with as little interruption as possible.
Salient

Is the funeral scheduled yet?
Are the boys training this week?
I'm thinking this game is more about the healing than the four points. West Coast would probably feel the same.

Too soon to be asking too much of the squad. But the club needs to stipulate when exactly the players need to start thinking about football again. For everyone's sake.

Is the funeral scheduled yet?
Are the boys training this week?
I'm thinking this game is more about the healing than the four points. West Coast would probably feel the same.

Too soon to be asking too much of the squad. But the club needs to stipulate when exactly the players need to start thinking about football again. For everyone's sake.
I think they're training tomorrow.

This is a business and a sport. If I was the Eagles CEO I would not consent to a change in venue for such spurious circumstances.

The funeral will be held when the family wants to hold it, the people who will go will go, and the club will continue to operate as professionally as we have spent the last 3 years demanding of them.
so where do you stand on players opting out this week if they are not up to it? They are not robots. How we manage players welfare and expectations at the moment will be critical on how the players feel about the club as they move through the grieving process. Emotional intelligence is needed and is something that appears to be completely missing in your rationale

so where do you stand on players opting out this week if they are not up to it? They are not robots. How we manage players welfare and expectations at the moment will be critical on how the players feel about the club as they move through the grieving process. Emotional intelligence is needed and is something that appears to be completely missing in your rationale

It's not missing in my rationale. If some of the players feel they need to withdraw from the game then fine, I am fully aware my emotional responses do not match those of most people, but the administration of the club can't afford those kinds of indulgences. Multimillion dollar industries don't get to shut down for a month for a bereavement break.

I would be shocked if enough players to compromise selection opted not to play this week. In fact I don't think any will at all.

image.jpg I hope the boys are all thinking like The Rat. They will all be devastated, that goes without saying. I hope that they stick together and play the year out in honour of Phil.

Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not missing in my rationale. If some of the players feel they need to withdraw from the game then fine, I am fully aware my emotional responses do not match those of most people, but the administration of the club can't afford those kinds of indulgences. Multimillion dollar industries don't get to shut down for a month for a bereavement break.

I would be shocked if enough players to compromise selection opted not to play this week. In fact I don't think any will at all.
I agree with you and reckon most would. The show must go on. The players are different.

I have been thinking along your lines since the last game ended yesterday. Right lets get on with this as a club. PW would want it so lets do it. Sure keep him in our minds no doubt but dont make the mistake we did with Dean, and the SACA did with Phil Hughes.

The blessing is that we must replace the head coach whereas Baileys position was left vacant almost out of respect.

the show must go on :(
I cant see how we can come out and play this week. I wish west coast went to the crows and offered to share the points.
But we have to get out there and play... need to be strong and carry on.
I cant see us winning or getting close, we will have heavy hearts and confused messed up heads.
2015 is now irrelevant. just have to hope our club can recover from this tragedy fast.

we are cursed...

I think our guys will get a bit of a boost from wanting to play for Phil, but probably not enough to get over West Coast. If we just put in a good showing and come out looking like this hasn't wrecked us I'll be happy. I'm expecting our first goal to be pretty emotional, even if it comes 3 goals late.

WCE by 26.

First goal of the game: (from the first bounce)

Jacobs taps it down to Sloane who handballs out to a breaking Danger who hits Tex lace out on the chest 40 out from goal

Tex goes back and slots it through 20 seconds into the game, where he points to the sky and mouths "this is for you"

Would be a dream start and the emotion of everyone getting around Tex (and they will get around whoever kicks the first goal) would fire everyone up and give all supporters goosebumps, even the WC fans.....

I just can't wait to be able to support our boys. Win or lose

First goal of the game: (from the first bounce)

Jacobs taps it down to Sloane who handballs out to a breaking Danger who hits Tex lace out on the chest 40 out from goal

Tex goes back and slots it through 20 seconds into the game, where he points to the sky and mouths "this is for you"

Would be a dream start and the emotion of everyone getting around Tex (and they will get around whoever kicks the first goal) would fire everyone up and give all supporters goosebumps, even the WC fans.....

I just can't wait to be able to support our boys. Win or lose

One slight problem, Sloaney will still be out :( How about Jacobs to Thommo?

The club has done well. Great to have someone of Woosha's stature to come in and help these young men get through this. Really glad he's come onboard. Another father figure is a great idea.
Its going to be a very interesting game this weekend, hope its a close tight contest and may the best team win.

it is impossible to get a read on just how the team will present itself.........

I think the boys need to play however are we battle ready, probably not

We need to stop saying things like the boys won't be able to play and that this club is cursed. Negative thoughts like that can become self fulfilling prophecies.

We as "mere" fans have had the weekend to grieve. Now is the time we need to be strong and get around our players, encouraging them and believing in them. They need the 19th man to take the field with them in spirit and support more than ever.

I have no doubt when they take the field this weekend they will give a great performance. This will be a game that will never be forgotten by anyone in the football community, no matter the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back