EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm hearing Roxy asked the league to put their 18s in Div 2 as the group was young and without being disrespectful, ability not up to Div 1. The fact the league refused this would have played a part in numbers dropping off the last week or two.
is this correct Blueandwhiteroos? If so very short sighted by the league, that would mean possibly 15-18 kids not playing footy this year.
My personal opinion is u18s should play in the same division as their seniors, regardless of their level, but I do congratulate Marby Park on requesting their u18s play up in Premier, to me that shows a lot of character and probably a reason the club has traditionally been an A grade club. If these 15-18 kids are only going to play if its made easier for them, then they are most likely not going to play senior football anyway. Junior football needs to stop being about participation and focus on being a breeding ground for the new talent that will replace the current crop of senior footballers, expecting things to be made easy is not doing them a service either.

My personal opinion is u18s should play in the same division as their seniors, regardless of their level, but I do congratulate Marby Park on requesting their u18s play up in Premier, to me that shows a lot of character and probably a reason the club has traditionally been an A grade club. If these 15-18 kids are only going to play if its made easier for them, then they are most likely not going to play senior football anyway. Junior football needs to stop being about participation and focus on being a breeding ground for the new talent that will replace the current crop of senior footballers, expecting things to be made easy is not doing them a service either.
obviously you have never been involved in a club trying to get an u/18 team up(other than Abers, Smore, Keilor & Marby).

actually i have and not at any of those clubs.
ok.. You stated - Junior football needs to stop being about participation and focus on being a breeding ground for the new talent that will replace the current crop of senior footballers, expecting things to be made easy is not doing them a service either.
Please elighten us with your solution on exactly how you would do that?

ok.. You stated - Junior football needs to stop being about participation and focus on being a breeding ground for the new talent that will replace the current crop of senior footballers, expecting things to be made easy is not doing them a service either.
Please elighten us with your solution on exactly how you would do that?
There is no simple solution and Im not saying i have the answers, but again,in my opinion it starts with creating a culture where resilience and effort are encouraged and rewarded, not results. It takes time to help these kids (and their parents) to understand that winning a game is not the most important thing in junior footy, it is learning the skills, testing yourself against the best opposition, learning what you do well and what you need to improve on, this is what makes good footballers. Clubs need to set a standard, I am not involved in a big club, and we have not traditionally had a great junior program, but it is growing on the back of challenging our juniors to challenge themselves and set a higher standard.

I'm hearing Roxy asked the league to put their 18s in Div 2 as the group was young and without being disrespectful, ability not up to Div 1. The fact the league refused this would have played a part in numbers dropping off the last week or two.
is this correct Blueandwhiteroos? If so very short sighted by the league, that would mean possibly 15-18 kids not playing footy this year.

Playing in Div 2 doesn’t make it any easier. Although not playing against bigger body’s playing against Keilor, Abers and Strathmore 2’s some are still copping 100+ point losses.
All finals teams in div 2 finals last year could have made finals had they been in div 1.
Div 2 is now a comp for the bigger clubs second teams.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pretty decent game of footy at Roxy today up until about halftime when Craigieburn ran away with it.

Incredibly tiring conditions and full credit to both teams for hanging in there until the end. Craigieburn's best was spot on, although I did think Jamie Gorgievski was BOG.

For those interested player points were up with the results.

Did KP put their hands up as one of the other teams to be relegated? Pretty resounding win for Hillside.

Pretty decent game of footy at Roxy today up until about halftime when Craigieburn ran away with it.

Incredibly tiring conditions and full credit to both teams for hanging in there until the end. Craigieburn's best was spot on, although I did think Jamie Gorgievski was BOG.

For those interested player points were up with the results.

Did KP put their hands up as one of the other teams to be relegated? Pretty resounding win for Hillside.
Popped up to KP v HS for first 3 qrts. KP put on a great day with plenty of cold beers and great food. Very scrappy game and Hillside way too good. They kick straight the margin would have been bigger but that ground is always more inclined to kick points 😄. Yes I do think KP in relegation part of the ladder. Very young side with light bodies. Not a light of height other than ruckman and Kempster down back. Cant question there endeavour but just lack the class & quality.
Not much in the reserves either but apparently they have about 3-4 players still to come in.

To showcase our league we might need to look at these games on Good Friday and match up 2 even teams.

KP put on a great day with plenty of cold beers and great food.

As someone who doesn't drink it didn't effect me, but next time Roxy might want to ensure they don't want to run out of cold beers. The only complaint I heard on the day.

Popped up to KP v HS for first 3 qrts. KP put on a great day with plenty of cold beers and great food. Very scrappy game and Hillside way too good. They kick straight the margin would have been bigger but that ground is always more inclined to kick points . Yes I do think KP in relegation part of the ladder. Very young side with light bodies. Not a light of height other than ruckman and Kempster down back. Cant question there endeavour but just lack the class & quality.
Not much in the reserves either but apparently they have about 3-4 players still to come in.

To showcase our league we might need to look at these games on Good Friday and match up 2 even teams.

Thought they would have had a bigger crowd to be honest… HS had good rep plus some nuetrals

Going to be tough for KP, 3 goals scored in total across their senior mens division.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went out to Roxburgh park
Too watch Roxy and craigieburn
Was a great game until after half time
Gorgiveski was bog along with #9

Craigieburn gained control when Craigieburn coached moved Carlisle into the ruck to curb the influence of Eliot who was well on top in middle in the first half although he looked very sore and not his normal self that I’ve seen in previous times

Thought Roxy’s half backs were their best performers

Don’t think Roxy will be as a good as they have been
Must win game against them for KP this week

Last edited:
Craigieburn gained control when Carlisle went into the ruck to curb the influence of Eliot who was well on top in middle in the first half although he looked very sore and not his normal self that I’ve seen on previous times

I thought Jack just suffered from his workload. The guy has an amazing ability to get around the ground and I just think his work on the day took it's toll in the heat. Craigieburn have a very good ruck combo now and Gordon has turned back the clock 5 years.

I thought Jack just suffered from his workload. The guy has an amazing ability to get around the ground and I just think his work on the day took it's toll in the heat. Craigieburn have a very good ruck combo now and Gordon has turned back the clock 5 years.
Roxy spent a lot of fuel tickets in the first quarter trying to save the game Craigieburn young fast legs out, ran them in the second half 11 players under the age of 22 well coached great looking future……

It’s like in every council at every footy club

Getting money out of councils isn’t easy

Have a look at oak park away rooms

Utter disgrace

I once quickly drove home to take a s**t before the senior game started so I wasn’t shitting myself while playing
Oak Park away rooms are now part of the main building and much better. Was there a few weeks ago and although still small, they are better than the old shed they used

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oak Park away rooms are now part of the main building and much better. Was there a few weeks ago and although still small, they are better than the old shed they used

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Fair enough probably tells you a bit about how long ago I played there

Was 2009 the year they won the flag after being relegated from a grade after winning 5 games and they wiped the floor with b grade back when it was just two divs

As someone who doesn't drink it didn't effect me, but next time Roxy might want to ensure they don't want to run out of cold beers. The only complaint I heard on the day.
Got the keys handed over from the cricket club the night before. Great effort by the club and its VOLUNTEERS to get the day up and running and a success. Great weather and great games of football.

Great to see Carlisle leading by example. Hardly on the track all pre season. Named co captain and carded in first QTR for descent to an umpire. Great leadership considering they had a shot on goal from top of goal square and then reversed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back