Preview Faceoff Round 22- Adelaide vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

[QUOTE="Glenno23, post: 40461210, member: 19768"

Crows to use their momentum and confidence to get a win by 10 points and lock in a finals berth

Bring it on![/QUOTE]

What a brave tip. Hopefully you are correct!

I have been to a shiteload of AFL games, never been or felt threatened.

However I was threatened by a Centrals fan at a SANFL grand final. Was also threatened at a Melbourne Victory vs Adelaide United game. Neither of these would surprise many SA sports fans.

Being the pacifist I am I beat a hasty retreat on both occasions :)
I've only had 2 frightening experiences in my time at games. The first time was at Subiaco in 1995 when West Coast beat us by 135 points the week that Modra got suspended for missing a team meeting to go surfing, I got my scarf set on fire after constant abuse all day. Imagine if we had won!
The second time was the 2000 SANFL grand final when I was punched and pushed into the urinal by a group of Centrals supporters for wearing my Eagles colours.

I've only had 2 frightening experiences in my time at games. The first time was at Subiaco in 1995 when West Coast beat us by 135 points the week that Modra got suspended for missing a team meeting to go surfing, I got my scarf set on fire after constant abuse all day. Imagine if we had won!
The second time was the 2000 SANFL grand final when I was punched and pushed into the urinal by a group of Centrals supporters for wearing my Eagles colours.

I was working in Perth in 2000 and went to the match at the WACA on my own. Cummings kicked 14 goals and on my way out I was given "helpful" suggestions by numerous Eagles fans. I asked them to give me their phone number so I could call them after the return match in Adelaide (we won by 3 goals).

I was threatened with violence by a Port Pear Fan in the AAMI members when Bassett was knocked out by Thomas. The worst behaviour that I saw was a few years ago at a Port Pear showdown. A mate and I sat in the outer in a bay with mostly Crows supporters. Two Port Pear dickheads were sitting in front of a group of women (Grandmother, mother, daughters) and the Pear Boys yelled in their faces from 2 inches away whenever the Pear scored.

I have never had a problem in Sydney (most of their fans are there for the social occasion), Queensland or Freo matches. Very few problems in Melbourne except the odd Collingwood match and the "home" final against Melbourne (I was mouthing off a bit in the last quarter). My mates and I are usually pretty restained since we usually expect to win. I was at both the Collingwood and Carlton matches this year and their supporters were mostly abusing their own players.

Suddenly I've lost confidence!

It seems in the big games our conversion lets us down…usually resulting in a loss.
Because of our conversion we lost a couple we should have iced, and won a few by a lot less than we should have.

Freo - we had more scoring shots:mad: loss
first showdown - we had more scoring shots:mad: loss
Collingwood -should have won by 60+ - Win by 27
Brisbane (Gabba) should have won by 40+ -Win by 13
Richmond - should have won by 80+ -win by 36
Port - we had less scoring shots:) - win

Fun fact

Adelaide conversion rate so far 2015 - 54.4%
West coast conversion rate so far 2015 - 54.1%

Bring this game ON baby!!

Need to change some of our stoppage work for this game.

If we go in doing our usual stuff, Nicnat will have too much influence and we lose the game.
We can NOT rely on Jacobs dominating the ruck.
Hopefully Campo gives something different a go, at least for times during the game, to really ensure we don't get exposed at the coalface.
I'd probably settle for less guys at jacobs feet to stop that easy exit if they get first possession. it's been our stoppage preference since clarke came to the club.. needs to change for at least this week to give us a real shot IMO.
3rd man up occasionally (not all the time) ?
CEY would have been handy for this, danger only one prob capable

Possibly.

For me its more about where we setup around the contest. For years we always seem 'inside' our men.
This has driven me to lunacy and back. The tough scrimmage that we win…nek minnit, ball bobbles out of pack to waiting opposition who was standing there with his thumb up his backside.

In before 'that's thommo's fault'

I was surprised at McGinnity B-, most Eagles supporters don't want him in the team. He tries hard, but he butchers the ball and gives away too many frees. He's in and out of the team so much he's been called herpes, just when you think he's gone, he's back to ruin your weekend. I would give him a C-.

Ellis is better than a C, however is hardly a pure midfield player like the others, he plays HB and runs through. I would give him a B- for his midfield play.

He overlooked a few players:
- Mark Hutchings (in for Masten) - C
- Dom Sheed (2nd year, good extractor and user of the ball) - B
- Matt Rosa (downgraded for ball use) - B-

Then running through the middle we have the players that give us the depth we thought we didn't have at the start of the year (many of these would have been rated a lot lower at the start of the year and some, Shep and Wellers, would have been expected to be more in the middle than the backline - I've rated them on midfield contribution when they're there):
- Jack Darling - A
- Jamie Cripps - B
- Mark LeCras - A
- Sharrod Wellingham - B
- Brad Shephard - B
- Jackson Nelson (young and raw) - C
as a crows supporter I worry most about gaff and shuey- 2 guys that are able to run on the outside and carve us up where we lack defensive spread ............I'd like to see knight spend some time on gaff- paying him close attention , danger to go head to head with shuey and crouch/ Thompson to matvh up at times on priddis but back themselves in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has driven me to lunacy and back. The tough scrimmage that we win…nek minnit, ball bobbles out of pack to waiting opposition who was standing there with his thumb up his backside.

If we 'blame' anyone I think it's Matty Clark. we started it when he became our main ruck and its continued with him as ruck coach.

Remember that game we lost to Melbourne I think in the last minute at AAMI due to an easy exit from a boundary line stoppage on the SW flank?

3rd man up occasionally (not all the time) ?
CEY would have been handy for this, danger only one prob capable

I think the only time nicnat has the advantage is at centre bounces. Jacobs should and will likley win the around the ground stoppages due to his superior height and body work. The centre bounce is the issue as he cant get body on nicnat hence he just jumps over jacobs.

Would love to still have a Rhett Biglands in the team. He was so good at just jumping into the opposition ruckman and take their spring out. Since we dont have that I dont know what the answer is. Do we have someone that has a leap like Nicnat? Even if they dont play ruck? Else our midfield will have to play defensive at centre bounces and hope that we can shark a few or at least cause another stoppage that will give Jacobs the option to body nicnat.

I think the only time nicnat has the advantage is at centre bounces. Jacobs should and will likley win the around the ground stoppages due to his superior height and body work. The centre bounce is the issue as he cant get body on nicnat hence he just jumps over jacobs.

Would love to still have a Rhett Biglands in the team. He was so good at just jumping into the opposition ruckman and take their spring out. Since we dont have that I dont know what the answer is. Do we have someone that has a leap like Nicnat? Even if they dont play ruck? Else our midfield will have to play defensive at centre bounces and hope that we can shark a few or at least cause another stoppage that will give Jacobs the option to body nicnat.
Where's Trent Ormond Allen when you need him?

Spot on. The seagulls get us every week and it is way (years) past time this was recognised and acted upon.

Danger has a bit to answer for as well. While he and Thommo and fighting over who gets the hard ball get their opponents just wait for Danger to win it and then "throw" the ball over his head and hope to hit a teammate. Granted he has a couple of guys hanging off him but I wish he would look a little harder or just tie the ball up.

Danger has a bit to answer for as well. While he and Thommo and fighting over who gets the hard ball get their opponents just wait for Danger to win it and then "throw" the ball over his head and hope to hit a teammate. Granted he has a couple of guys hanging off him but I wish he would look a little harder or just tie the ball up.
But its the crows. Tying the ball up = holding the ball against Scott Thompson, even if he's on the bench at the time.

Besdies the first showdown Dangers kicking has been quite good this year. Up 7% from last year.

I agree his kicking has been much more considered, particularly in the past month, and made comment on it to a mate last weekend. He is hitting up the 20-30m kick instead of running at full tilt and trying to bang it 60m.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back