WSYD GWS Giants Academy Zone - How much longer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Malte

Debutant
Oct 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wasn't this meant to be subject to a review?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...m/news-story/8f0c11b65b9c7561d5bf134055e4d6f8

af9efefc7d.jpg

Is it not enough that they have one of the best lists in the competition? Is it not enough that they're current flag favorites? Were all those draft picks, mini-draft picks, uncontracted player concessions and increased salary cap space handed to them on a plate not enough? Even last year, they got first dibs on 3 of the top 20 prospects because their zone is so huge.

Sydney I can understand; they invest a lot of time and resources into their smaller zone, none of which is AFL heartland, but GWS was just handed the rest of New South Wales with the AFL doing all the work.

How much longer before this joke ends? Are the AFL waiting for GWS to win that flag? At this point, they don't even care about stockpiling picks; they're trading up to ensure they get one of the best prospects, while still getting their zone players in Setterfield and Perryman for cut-price deals.

Pretty sure most of the public word is meaningless, get the feeling that Gil is just throwing whatever out there

I think once he floated giving Riverina to us - errr what? That's not quite in QLD

Untill the AFL themselves can develop a great recruiting strategy in luring youn NSW boys to play AFL and give them a legi pathway and structure.

So.
..never? Afl failed big time. Swans and GWS have bailed it so far in a short amount of time. So i dont think the AFL will scrap it

Wasn't this meant to be subject to a review?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...m/news-story/8f0c11b65b9c7561d5bf134055e4d6f8

af9efefc7d.jpg

Is it not enough that they have one of the best lists in the competition? Is it not enough that they're current flag favorites? Were all those draft picks, mini-draft picks, uncontracted player concessions and increased salary cap space handed to them on a plate not enough? Even last year, they got first dibs on 3 of the top 20 prospects because their zone is so huge.

Sydney I can understand; they invest a lot of time and resources into their smaller zone, none of which is AFL heartland, but GWS was just handed the rest of New South Wales with the AFL doing all the work.

How much longer before this joke ends? Are the AFL waiting for GWS to win that flag? At this point, they don't even care about stockpiling picks; they're trading up to ensure they get one of the best prospects, while still getting their zone players in Setterfield and Perryman for cut-price deals.

At a guess Sydneys smaller zone has a much bigger population

True in the past, but false in the future...
I am from NSW so I love the game is growing here in the non-traditional areas (like you say, the Sydney metro), and I have already noticed the immediate impact the Giants have had. But I just struggle with this exclusive right to these zones that the Giants have.

I am from NSW so I love the game is growing here in the non-traditional areas (like you say, the Sydney metro), and I have already noticed the immediate impact the Giants have had. But I just struggle with this exclusive right to these zones that the Giants have.

I'm all for growing the game. Would be foolish by the AFL not too. I understand the need for regions to help develop the game and to lure players to the their home state.

The objection I have is the ease they can aquire these players and manipulate the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I struggle with:

1. 2016 Grand Finalists and multi-premiership winning Swan's far-more-generous zone.

2. GF always played on your home ground, while we got one game there in 2016.

3. Dogs getting the first few months fixtures at Etihad.

Swings and roundabouts though, just best not to moan - particularly if you're coming off a three-peat, while we've NEVER won a single game against the Pies.

I'm all for growing the game. Would be foolish by the AFL not too. I understand the need for regions to help develop the game and to lure players to the their home state.

The objection I have is the ease they can aquire these players and manipulate the draft.

By "manipulate the draft", you mean follow all the rules to the exact letter?

As in same salary cap and list size as every other club?

As in being able to draft anyone they like from VIC, SA, WA but those same states not being able to have open access to the players from QLD and NSW.

The fact you can lay claim to Setterfield and pick him up for a pittance is an absolute piss take of the highest order.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back