Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2015 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Essendon will have one top 10 draft pick at the moment, and I'm predicting it to be two come national draft day as I along with many others think Carlisle will leave us in a deal that will somehow see us end up with pick 8-15 or around there. Assuming Essendon have one pick in the first round, what type of player do you think we will target and who will be available around pick 5,6,7 when we have our first pick and hypothetically if we were to have another one on top of that what type of player would we target around 8-15?

In the first round clubs mostly pick best available. And around pick 10 if indeed that is what is collected for Carlisle in the scenario he is traded. Likely that best available and most likely pick is a midfielder.

If it's around pick 15, maybe a Ryan Clarke. If around pick 8, maybe a Mathieson or Partington.

Essendon will have one top 10 draft pick at the moment, and I'm predicting it to be two come national draft day as I along with many others think Carlisle will leave us in a deal that will somehow see us end up with pick 8-15 or around there. Assuming Essendon have one pick in the first round, what type of player do you think we will target and who will be available around pick 5,6,7 when we have our first pick and hypothetically if we were to have another one on top of that what type of player would we target around 8-15?

(1st pick) Midfielder; Partington, Mathieson
(2nd pick) KPP; Curnow, Collins, Weidman

Knightmare do you know how Ex geelong listed players Jordan Schroder and George Burbury are going this year?
Any chance of being picked up as a rookie etc.
Couldn't believe when geelong let the go.

Have no information about Burbury is going. But given he isn't even playing at state level. I'm not seeing why he would get back onto an AFL list next season.

Schroder I'm not as high on this year either, having not made any meaningful inroads in recent seasons.

Geelong do and have long had terrific depth for some years now. So the quality of their delistings always will be high, as a team that typically drafts so well.

In the first round clubs mostly pick best available. And around pick 10 if indeed that is what is collected for Carlisle in the scenario he is traded. Likely that best available and most likely pick is a midfielder.

If it's around pick 15, maybe a Ryan Clarke. If around pick 8, maybe a Mathieson or Partington.
Also, why do you have Essendon having pick 1. Is that because you believe we will finish last or because you think/know we will trade for it?

Also, why do you have Essendon having pick 1. Is that because you believe we will finish last or because you think/know we will trade for it?

After that 100+ point loss to St Kilda and Watson going out for the season. I had Essendon for the spoon.

If I'm to revise that today. I have Essendon 16th with Brisbane to my surprise not improving and Carlton probably also finishing lower even though they're more competitive now.

Knightmare do you know how Ex geelong listed players Jordan Schroder and George Burbury are going this year?
Schroder doing a decent job at Essendon VFL. Wouldn't be surprised to see him picked up.

Also who is the best ruckman in the state leagues ATM? I know Paul Johnson has performed very well
Baulderstone from SANFL, and even though he's barely played this season Tagliabue from the VFL.

Knightmare, have you heard much on some of the NEAFL prospects like Jordan Harper, Josh Wagner, Uebergang and the like?

Don't mean to intrude, but I offered a little more on some of these guys about 5 weeks ago now. It's here.

Also who is the best ruckman in the state leagues ATM? I know Paul Johnson has performed very well

It also answers this question. Paul Hunter for mine just has something extra to his game that Baulderstone and Tagliabue don't.

Don't mean to intrude, but I offered a little more on some of these guys about 5 weeks ago now. It's here.

It also answers this question. Paul Hunter for mine just has something extra to his game that Baulderstone and Tagliabue don't.

Already had a read Chris, thought it was awesome but wanted to see if there was any movement on their fronts in that period of time.

Gws have stated that we will only take 2 academy boys this year. If pies bid first pick on himmelberg then they will get himmelberg with their first rounder

A surprise to me to see GWS not wanting to take Himmelberg. He is another really good forward. And not all that dissimilar to Cam McCarthy. A pretty good asset to have even if ultimately he in time gets moved.

I don't necessarily see a club bidding a first round pick on Himmelberg. But in the 2nd round clubs should be lining up to have a shot at him based on my evaluation of his talent anyway.

What clubland thinks. I cannot comment.

There is no clear standout.

Paul Johnson if you wanted to play someone to win with this year would probably also be my choice. But at his age, turning 32 next season while he could as per Stephenson be considered as depth, that's all he would be looked at as.

Sam Baulderstone probably for me is that guy I'd look at most closely of all the state league ruckmen. Still a big guy, not athletic. But has over recent years really turned his body around and now is in good shape, and has improved strongly with each season which for me is key in projecting upside. Really skilled by guy and can find the footy. So as a rookie he is appropriate for consideration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't be surprised at all to see any of Ozgar Uysal, Dan Coghlan, Jye Bolton, Isaac Conway (my big favourite of all the guys listed here), Damian Mascitti, Matt Hanson, Nathan Gardiner, Adam Marcon, Luke Tynan, Michael Hartley, Mitch Brown, Josh Freezer, Jordan Lisle, Jack Langford, Hugh Sandilands, Michael Still.
Clubs would already be kicking themselves for not taking Hanson in the rookie draft last year.

He's been struggling Chris , he's actually only spent limited time in ruck and is used off bench and forward for Redlands ...he has gone backwards , should go down to sanfl if he's serious

Just an update on a few players from West v Central in the SANFL today. Aaron Francis, while not outstanding, would have confirmed the recruiters opinions. Started back and played well, with one outstanding strong contested mark. Then went forward and kicked 2 goals again with a very strong contested mark under pressure. A lot to get excited about.

Will Snelling racked up well over 20 possessions and was very good. His work rate was outstanding.

Jack Agostino was pretty good, although he coughed the ball up a couple of times under pressure, while Hugh Haysman didn't get a lot of ghe footy, but was still pretty good.

Riley Bonner played Reserves and was OK from a back flank, but was extremely impressive when shifted into the midfield.

A couple of mature age possibilities: defender Tom Keough is attracting interest, while ex-ACT on-baller Kaine Stevens has been BOG the last few weeks and also beginning to get some admirers.

Jaydn Brind didn't play.

All from the mighty West Adelaide FC.
Bonner could go high maybe push the top 12 or so especially if shows can play midfield 191cm midfielder with superb left foot and still growing maybe would be getting recruiters interested

Haysman - can't see him getting drafted and snelling is best midget after Gresham so can see him going in 3rd round especially with success of lonie and Daniel this year

Burbury plays for mansfield in the Goulburn Valley Football League, goes well apparently but can be inconsistent. What do you consider the standard of that league to be like Knightmare?

Burbury plays for mansfield in the Goulburn Valley Football League, goes well apparently but can be inconsistent. What do you consider the standard of that league to be like Knightmare?

Don't watch the competition. So can't give a precise comment as to how it compares to other competitions.

It's obviously not comparable to a state league competition. But there would certainly be talents who would be more than able to hold their own in any of the state leagues if they wanted to.

As for whether it's a suitable place to be identifying talent to draft players appropriate for picking on draft day? I'd rather they play in a state league, as their standard of performance is more easily for me anyway quantifiable.
There could be someone in that or some other non-state league competition worth a position on an AFL list. But you'd have to scout those competitions incredibly well and have a great feel for the talents at that level and the standard of competition, and know that players game well.

Bonner could go high maybe push the top 12 or so especially if shows can play midfield 191cm midfielder with superb left foot and still growing maybe would be getting recruiters interested

Haysman - can't see him getting drafted and snelling is best midget after Gresham so can see him going in 3rd round especially with success of lonie and Daniel this year
Bonner will go top 25, but I agree with you if his development through the midfield continues and he hits 193cm as the data I've seen suggests then top 15 is a possibility. Haysman and Snelling will get drafted, playing senior footy against men gets massive points with recruiters. If they were playing TAC every week in VIC they would be dominating.

Bonner will go top 25, but I agree with you if his development through the midfield continues and he hits 193cm as the data I've seen suggests then top 15 is a possibility. Haysman and Snelling will get drafted, playing senior footy against men gets massive points with recruiters. If they were playing TAC every week in VIC they would be dominating.
Yeah , not sure on haysman at all but big fan of Snelling , the little guys are back in vogue again post daniel/ Lonie

193cm with that kick and physical development to come just the sort of player that some club plucks early , he will go well before Partington in my book

Don't watch the competition. So can't give a precise comment as to how it compares to other competitions.

It's obviously not comparable to a state league competition. But there would certainly be talents who would be more than able to hold their own in any of the state leagues if they wanted to.

As for whether it's a suitable place to be identifying talent to draft players appropriate for picking on draft day? I'd rather they play in a state league, as their standard of performance is more easily for me anyway quantifiable.
There could be someone in that or some other non-state league competition worth a position on an AFL list. But you'd have to scout those competitions incredibly well and have a great feel for the talents at that level and the standard of competition, and know that players game well.

Nightmare, would there be some clubs that have preferences for inside mids more so over skillful outside mids?

Do outside mids lose interest in your opinions by certain clubs or get put off?

Nightmare, would there be some clubs that have preferences for inside mids more so over skillful outside mids?

Do outside mids lose interest in your opinions by certain clubs or get put off?

Some clubs/recruiters/coaches prefer players who can win the contested ball and as such will have a preference towards inside types (Collingwood, Adelaide, Geelong and Sydney fit this category).

A small few other clubs are more in the other direction going more for skill over contested ball winning (Port Adelaide and Hawthorn I'd have more in this direction).

Whatever happened to Cameron Conlon? Is he over the injury issues and playing anywhere at a decent level? Mitch Thorp? Was the return of the king and now vanished into obscurity again? Just interesting in a weak draft whether these types of blokes could pop back up?

Whatever happened to Cameron Conlon? Is he over the injury issues and playing anywhere at a decent level? Mitch Thorp? Was the return of the king and now vanished into obscurity again? Just interesting in a weak draft whether these types of blokes could pop back up?

Conlon is playing footy again which is the good news after being hurt for such a long time. This year he has played six games in the VFL development league. From his six games, no goals, has not featured in the bests.

As such. Conlon should not be viewed as a potential AFL prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back