Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2016 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have just confirmed with ESPN that I'll write something at the end of the preseason that will satisfy the fantasy football people.

Given this.

From a fantasy football perspective it's all about the high production types with the performances on the board as juniors and the mature agers.

Zac Fisher (Carlton) represents strong value and is someone I'd strongly recommend investing in. Can play season one and score strongly.

Shai Bolton (Richmond) will score erratically but with Richmond lacking in good forwards, I can see him playing enough games to be a viable forward.

Tom Stewart (Geelong) as a mature ager I feel can play fairly regularly. Will only be a moderate scorer by position, but if he gets into the Geelong team he is someone I could see holding his position.

Kobe Mutch and Dylan Clarke through the Essendon midfield if/when they break into the Essendon team will be your cash cows. How early they play is yet to be decided but they're the types to get onto when they do get games.

Darcy Cameron (Sydney) as a depth ruckman may see game time depending on injuries.

Willie Rioli (West Coast) could get games at some point. Will be only a mild scorer and will not score well consistently, but given the lack of a good crumber on that list, with a strong preseason he could push for games.

Jack Graham for Richmond as a mid will be one to watch if/when he gets games. Will score well.

Luke Ryan for Fremantle could become a regular and score well down back.

Brad Scheer for Gold Coast through the mids if he plays can score well.

Jake Barrett for Brisbane given NEAFL performances represents outstanding value. Could be a regular (to be determined) and if he is, he can score big. Blake Grewar as a rookie midfielder from Brisbane is another with the performances on the board who can score well if given games. Both are ready to go and can play fairly major midfield roles.

Rowan Marshall for St Kilda as a ruckman may be considered for games depending on how he is tracking v the clubs other rucks.

Brett Eddy for Port as a key forward depending on how they want their front half to look can play from round one, if they want another tall alongside Dixon and Westhoff.

After seeing the Saints Intraclub, I doubt if Marshall is on the radar. Hickey, Longer, Holmes and Pierce were played in the ruck.
Josh Battle may see action if anything happens to McCartin or Bruce.

Hey Knightmare, have just been catching up on your power rankings on ESPN (great in depth analysis, as always). Quite a few of the guys above dropped fairly significantly from your October rankings, I know you're always watching game footage, just wondering what it was you saw on the above guys that had them slide in that last update?

English - the more I thought about him the more his slim build worried me. late season catching him, his dropped his marks overhead and below shoulders which isn't good enough for a mobile ruckman.
Marshall - production was poor. had his injuried that held him back late season but without any dominant performances and sub-parr performances through finals was always going to drop
B.Cox - stayed pretty well around this mark for much of the season for me. has possible scope to develop as a key defender.
Cumming - someone I bumped up lateish with the hype coming out of clubland. I found his games only ok, without ever feeling like a driving force in any of the games I viewed. but with his skills off hb and on the outside may be developable.
Eddy - very capable immediate kpf. became more and more convinced as season progressed he needs to be top 40 and kept moving up with performances. is someone I can see having an impact for Port Adelaide as a mature key forward.
Begley - was up and down on. probably liked him more early season as a forward where he could impact games more significantly. as a mid for me is only ok, needing to work on endurance. has the attributes to be a developable player.
Gallucci - had a big game early season which got me excited (probably the best individual performance this season in the TAC Cup). I dropped him due to inconsistency and only average numbers which aren't ideal indicators for future performance/production at AFL level. has the attributes though so there is definitely some scope.
Scharenberg - ball use late season seemed to drop off some, and as an unathletic type with a lack of a point of difference, while he has long had the production on the board, he needed that soemthing else.
Graham - poor kicking and remaining a poor kick saw others move past him for me. production/size promising, but could do with another weapon.
J.Bolton - big performances and big second half of season saw him rise into top 40. most ready to produce mature age midfielder was my view looking at his 2016 season.

Hi KM what kind of player is Devlin Brereton where do you see him going in the draft this year.

Delvin is a light bodied forward with some talent around goal.

How tall is he KM and where do you think he will go at the moment. Is he a marking forward like his dad was with great hands or more of a crumbling forward. And where would you put him if the draft was tomorrow at the moment.

How tall is he KM and where do you think he will go at the moment. Is he a marking forward like his dad was with great hands or more of a crumbling forward. And where would you put him if the draft was tomorrow at the moment.

182cm, 67kg last year. Yet to get this years measurements.

Hasn't played any TAC Cup to my knowledge so he'll be one when I see him I'll be able to comment on further.

I am led to believe from a source that the Cannons have a top age boy on their list this year that may turn some heads. He wasn't selected last year but he did some tests previously. He is only around 179 and about 75kg. He did the 20m sprint in 2.70 sec and has a running vertical jump of 99cm. Having a look into his background he won a national bronze medal in high jump at 12 and at 15 his PB over 100m ranked him number 5 in Australia. For his club side last year he kicked around 50 goals and played a senior game in premier division.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Annual off season question Knightmare....

Just before the real stuff starts:

Off the top of your head, where do you place the top 10 of 2016 against say 2013-2015 :)

If you've done this elsewhere can you provide a link?

Cheers
DD

Hey knightmare, I'm just wondering why last year a lot of div 2 players struggled to replicate their production while playing for the allies. E.g. Bowes, setterfield, perryman, sheer and Mutch all ave 20-25+ Touches playing in div 2. when stepping up to div 1, most of them dropped to around 14-16 touches/game. Were they rotated more and getting less game time, or were they really struggling with the step up to div 1?
Thought?
Will these guys make an impact in 2017 at afl level?

Thoughts on the Tasmanians, KM? :rainbow:

Harrison Pearce could be a good overager, maybe Nat Franklin. Jake Hinds?

Tarryn Thomas was the one notable from the u18 champs last year, but he's still another year away.

Otherwise haven't seen anyone I've loved yet from Tassie this year. Hopefully that changes over the course of the year.

Annual off season question Knightmare....

Just before the real stuff starts:

Off the top of your head, where do you place the top 10 of 2016 against say 2013-2015 :)

If you've done this elsewhere can you provide a link?

Cheers
DD

Different dynamic this year.

Perhaps the best for rucks and key position players. Overall talent, perhaps slightly lighter on.

Early days still. More names sure to come through during the year.

Hey knightmare, I'm just wondering why last year a lot of div 2 players struggled to replicate their production while playing for the allies. E.g. Bowes, setterfield, perryman, sheer and Mutch all ave 20-25+ Touches playing in div 2. when stepping up to div 1, most of them dropped to around 14-16 touches/game. Were they rotated more and getting less game time, or were they really struggling with the step up to div 1?
Thought?
Will these guys make an impact in 2017 at afl level?

Lack of chemistry having not played with teammates. There is no real predictability among one another. Limited time training together relative to other states. Players being forced to play out of position - midfielders forced to play forward and back primarily when they're clearly best as midfielders. Div 2 players also often have played less footy so their play may not be as advanced even if their overall talent is superior.

Allies had in my view the most talent last year, but this combination of factors overall hurt them.

Thought I should mention it in here as it is the only place relevant; but i hear on the grapevine that Carlton have shown signifigant interest in Crowden. Unsure of anything more but have heard it from a few lads from up his way

Thought I should mention it in here as it is the only place relevant; but i hear on the grapevine that Carlton have shown signifigant interest in Crowden. Unsure of anything more but have heard it from a few lads from up his way

Crowden is a quality talent with AFL quality skills. Would think more than just Carlton have interest in what Crowden can do this season.

Can someone tell me what happens to the excluded Academy boys like Spargo for nationals??

They'd still play in their zone's team. Marshall played for NSW last year, for instance.

In supercoach terms the 3 that interest me the most are: Nankervis, Zak Jones & Jack Steele. are you starting with any of these?

As we speak, Nankervis and Steele are in.

Zak Jones I had in up until about a week ago but for structural reasons he misses.

They're all under-priced and I estimate each can average around 30ppg more their prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back