NFNL Div 2 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

From HS

Whittlesea looking to win fourth premiership in a decade after relegation​

31 for 31: It happened in 2013, 2015 and 2019. Can Whittlesea do it again in 2024? New coach Garry Ramsay reveals his expectations for the Eagles.

Can Whittlesea continue its recent tradition of bounce-back premierships?
The Eagles are back in NFNL Division 2 after a winless 2023 lead to relegation from the top flight.

In the past decade, the club has a rich history of bounce-back seasons, winning Division 2 premierships in 2013, 2015 and 2019 after finishing last in Division 1 the previous year.

Under new coach Garry Ramsay, Whittlesea will look to keep that run alive.

The club has retained the bulk of its list, while luring club legend Lucas Hobbs back to Whittlesea Showgrounds, where he won flags and best-and-fairests in 2010 and 2013.

Matt Coen and Matt Langford have also returned after stints at Kinglake and will be joined by 2015 premiership captain Andrew Fairchild, who has signed on as an assistant coach.

Ramsay said he’d given the club a very simple mantra this season.

“We’re looking to be the hardest working team in it, that’s our goal, and wherever that leads is OK,” Ramsay said.

“The expectation is to be the hardest working, most disciplined team in it and to play to our potential.

“We’re getting the 19s back and to get ex-Whittlesea players back and really stabilise the club and improve Whittlesea before we look externally.

“A top-three finish gives you the best chance of winning but in the short-term it’s to be the hardest working and then the expectation is to finish top-three.

“Numbers have been great and the enthusiasm has been fantastic.”

Hobbs, Coen and Langford have fitted back in seamlessly.

Whittlesea’s depth of young talent has also stood out to Ramsay.

Deakin Tennant finished third in the club best-and-fairest and Christian Prestopino was named most improved.

Curtis and Mitch Taplin played every game, while the likes of Taidhg Bland, Keidan Treacy, Harry Beattie and Riley Powell got important experience.

“Matty Coen is fantastic, he and Matty Langford have fitted in really easily,” Ramsay said.

“Then you’ve got Hobbsy, who’s a dual premiership player and dual best-and-fairest, so they already know most of the people, which makes it an easy transition.

“They’re all good fellas and they all love Whittlesea, they live local, so it’s just a big bonus.

“I like the way Deakin Tennant and Taidhg Bland go about it, I think they’re ready to make the step up to A-Graders.”

Whittlesea ramps up Round 1 preparations with its first practice match on Sunday against Greensborough at Kilmore’s Clancy Reserve.

The Eagles then face Eastern club Mitcham at Whittlesea Showgrounds before wrapping up the pre-season against VAFA outfit Old Carey.

A clash with Division 3 premier and promotion-winner Laurimar at Whittlesea Showgrounds kicks off the season on April 6.

The match will mark Ramsay’s return to coaching.

The legendary mentor sat out in 2023 after more than a decade in the top job at Panton Hill, Lower Plenty, Macleod and Montmorency.

“I realised I’d rather be stressed being too busy rather than stressed not busy enough,” Ramsay said.

“I think I missed footy more than footy missed me, so I’m super looking forward to getting back into it.”

Who? Heard Norman won’t play not sure of 100%

They’ve brought in a number of recruits who should fill those gaps regardless.
Noise is Norman and Bedford maybe not playing. They lost players leading into 2023 and replaced them. They have recruited and there 19s & 17s won premierships so I doubt it will impact them much at all. Status quo in my opinion.

Noise is Norman and Bedford maybe not playing. They lost players leading into 2023 and replaced them. They have recruited and there 19s & 17s won premierships so I doubt it will impact them much at all. Status quo in my opinion.
Possibly Maloney, Pingeri , walker and a few others as well as Norman and Bedford

Any scores from Whittlesea vs Greensborough game up at Kilmore today
Boro won 8.11 to 8.2. Blowing a gale to one end, only 1 goal kicked to the clubrooms end all day. Very much the old fashioned attack and hit the scoreboard with the wind and hold on for dear life while against it sort of game

Watsonia lost to Mernda on Saturday by a few goals in what was apparently a shocking game of footy. Worrying signs for wats. Where do we have them finishing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watsonia lost to Mernda on Saturday by a few goals in what was apparently a shocking game of footy. Worrying signs for wats. Where do we have them finishing?
Personally, I didn't think it was that bad of a game. Mernda will be strong in d3 (my tip for the flag) and I was worried they would take care of Watsonia. Fair credit to Watsonia, even after all they've lost they have still managed to pick up a few decent players. I still think they will battle with Northcote for relegation.

Personally, I didn't think it was that bad of a game. Mernda will be strong in d3 (my tip for the flag) and I was worried they would take care of Watsonia. Fair credit to Watsonia, even after all they've lost they have still managed to pick up a few decent players. I still think they will battle with Northcote for relegation.
Northcote are struggling big time

From HS

Development key to Laurimar’s success stepping up to NFNL Division 2​

The continued development of Laurimar’s clutch of young guns will be key to the club’s hopes of success as it steps up to NFNL Division 2 for the first time.

New year, new challenge.

It’s Laurimar’s mantra as it steps up to NFNL Division 2 for the first time in club history.

The Power claimed a historic Division 3 premiership last season with one of the all-time comeback victories.

The club put its trust in its young talent to deliver a flag and it will do so again this season to cement itself at the next level.

It has been a quiet pre-season for the promotion-winners with Matt Ryan the only announced recruit.

Premiership coach Jimmy Atkins said the club’s internal development had it well placed to come up and compete.

“It’s exciting, it’s a new challenge – we talk about it all the time, new year, new challenge,” Atkins said.

“It’s fantastic to get an opportunity to play in a higher division.

“That’s been the plan from day one, make sure our kids get the opportunity to play higher footy.

“That’s where the excitement is coming from more than anything, the guys are frothing at the bit to get up there and play good footy in Division 2.

“We just concentrate on what we’re doing, we don’t care what other teams think about us.

“We just want to make sure we’re at our best every week and if we can do that we’ll get results.”

Atkins revealed the club had also picked up Aidan Doolan from Rowville and Jobe Somerville from East Gippsland club Wy Yung, with the pair impressing in a practice match against Old Paradians on Saturday.

Captains Mitch Thompson and Luke Wilson continue to lead the way in pre-season, while Kaiden Arthur has been elevated to vice-captain and touted as a future club captain.

The trio were all named in the Division 3 Team of the Year last season, along with Nathan Andrews, Noah Mooney and Ethan Bateman.

Mooney, Bateman and fellow young guns Jai Langford, Joel Lawson and Micah Vecchio will be key players in the Power’s season.

“The stock standards (are leading the way), Kaiden Arthur has been fantastic, Jai Langford and Noah Mooney,” Atkins said.

“Luke Wilson and Mitch Thompson and Nathan Andrews, the experienced guys are going just as good – they’ve got to pick it up as well with all the young guys catching them.

“It’s an opportunity for (the young players), they’re all capable.

“We’ve been working on our fitness over the summer, knowing we’re stepping up a division, and they’ve come along for the ride definitely.”

After flirting with retirement, Jacob Lawson is expected to return to the club but Mitch Lucas has decided to step away after last year’s premiership win.

The Power claimed a pre-season win over Old Paradians in the first hitout of the pre-season.

It will wrap up preparations with matches against Eastern club East Burwood and Division 1 club Macleod before a Round 1 clash with local rival Whittlesea.

“It was good to get out there and get a hitout, there were a lot of positives for us,” Atkins said.

“We got a game into a lot of young kids that have been putting in a lot of work over pre-season, it was good to see our ball movement working – getting the ball moving as quick as we can.”

From HS

Whittlesea looking to win fourth premiership in a decade after relegation​

31 for 31: It happened in 2013, 2015 and 2019. Can Whittlesea do it again in 2024? New coach Garry Ramsay reveals his expectations for the Eagles.

Can Whittlesea continue its recent tradition of bounce-back premierships?
The Eagles are back in NFNL Division 2 after a winless 2023 lead to relegation from the top flight.

In the past decade, the club has a rich history of bounce-back seasons, winning Division 2 premierships in 2013, 2015 and 2019 after finishing last in Division 1 the previous year.

Under new coach Garry Ramsay, Whittlesea will look to keep that run alive.

The club has retained the bulk of its list, while luring club legend Lucas Hobbs back to Whittlesea Showgrounds, where he won flags and best-and-fairests in 2010 and 2013.

Matt Coen and Matt Langford have also returned after stints at Kinglake and will be joined by 2015 premiership captain Andrew Fairchild, who has signed on as an assistant coach.

Ramsay said he’d given the club a very simple mantra this season.

“We’re looking to be the hardest working team in it, that’s our goal, and wherever that leads is OK,” Ramsay said.

“The expectation is to be the hardest working, most disciplined team in it and to play to our potential.

“We’re getting the 19s back and to get ex-Whittlesea players back and really stabilise the club and improve Whittlesea before we look externally.

“A top-three finish gives you the best chance of winning but in the short-term it’s to be the hardest working and then the expectation is to finish top-three.

“Numbers have been great and the enthusiasm has been fantastic.”

Hobbs, Coen and Langford have fitted back in seamlessly.

Whittlesea’s depth of young talent has also stood out to Ramsay.

Deakin Tennant finished third in the club best-and-fairest and Christian Prestopino was named most improved.

Curtis and Mitch Taplin played every game, while the likes of Taidhg Bland, Keidan Treacy, Harry Beattie and Riley Powell got important experience.

“Matty Coen is fantastic, he and Matty Langford have fitted in really easily,” Ramsay said.

“Then you’ve got Hobbsy, who’s a dual premiership player and dual best-and-fairest, so they already know most of the people, which makes it an easy transition.

“They’re all good fellas and they all love Whittlesea, they live local, so it’s just a big bonus.

“I like the way Deakin Tennant and Taidhg Bland go about it, I think they’re ready to make the step up to A-Graders.”

Whittlesea ramps up Round 1 preparations with its first practice match on Sunday against Greensborough at Kilmore’s Clancy Reserve.

The Eagles then face Eastern club Mitcham at Whittlesea Showgrounds before wrapping up the pre-season against VAFA outfit Old Carey.

A clash with Division 3 premier and promotion-winner Laurimar at Whittlesea Showgrounds kicks off the season on April 6.

The match will mark Ramsay’s return to coaching.

The legendary mentor sat out in 2023 after more than a decade in the top job at Panton Hill, Lower Plenty, Macleod and Montmorency.

“I realised I’d rather be stressed being too busy rather than stressed not busy enough,” Ramsay said.

“I think I missed footy more than footy missed me, so I’m super looking forward to getting back into it.”
Do whittlesea find it hard to keep players or are players just not up to the standard of division 1?

It’s been a yo yo for them for a long time now.

Do whittlesea find it hard to keep players or are players just not up to the standard of division 1?

It’s been a yo yo for them for a long time now.
Hard to be a destination club when you're that far out from the rest of D1 geographically. Gotta pay well overs or have a solid junior/younger core.

Hard to be a destination club when you're that far out from the rest of D1 geographically. Gotta pay well overs or have a solid junior/younger core.
With laurimar and south Morang both in the same division with a strong junior base you would think it might become a bit harder in the future if they don’t go straight back up this season

It’s Whittlesea not Gunbower.

There is a huge amount of talented footballers who live in the outer suburbs and could easily play for them. They are in a fantastic spot geographically with 225k people in the city of Whittlesea.

There is a huge amount of talented footballers who live in the outer suburbs and could easily play for them. They are in a fantastic spot geographically with 225k people in the city of Whittlesea.
You know City of Whittlesea is not just Whittlesea
See below populations in 2021, yea they would have increased but all would have.
Always believed clubs like Whittlesea and Hurstbridge did a great job in playing Div 1 footy
Clubs like Sth Morang and Diamond Creek should be playing Div 1 with larger population base and big numbers in juniors

Attachments

• 19CD44B4-EC95-4852-BC5F-64ACC677D224.png
    19CD44B4-EC95-4852-BC5F-64ACC677D224.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 126

Why can't they stay in D1 consistently, why can't they attract decent talent to stay in D1? I'm not saying Whit is regional Victoria, but its' middle location between the metro and genuine regional clubs don't make it attractive unless you pay huge overs.

You know City of Whittlesea is not just Whittlesea
See below populations in 2021, yea they would have increased but all would have.
Always believed clubs like Whittlesea and Hurstbridge did a great job in playing Div 1 footy
Clubs like Sth Morang and Diamond Creek should be playing Div 1 with larger population base and big numbers in juniors
Yes I’m aware 220k people don’t live in the town of whittlesea 😂. But they have 220k people within a what? 20 minute drive.

Why can't they stay in D1 consistently, why can't they attract decent talent to stay in D1? I'm not saying Whit is regional Victoria, but its' middle location between the metro and genuine regional clubs don't make it attractive unless you pay huge overs.
Because they obviously aren’t run as well as other clubs who consistently perform in D1.

Look at their last 2 coaches… 1 sacked mid year, other sacked after failing at every job he has had.

Where they are located is no excuse. They are 25 mins from Bundoora. I don't know why they go up and aren't competitive. Maybe they simply don't have the money to recruit or just can't attract players. Who knows.

Probably more profitable for them to win a premiership every 4-5 years, then struggle in div 1. Although I'd hope that's not there thinking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back