Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 27

Remove this Banner Ad

It was pretty cool when forwards played one on one against defenders in open forward lines & the only time you threw numbers back was late in quarters or the end of a tight game.

Losing the superstar Full Forwards due to tactics is a pretty big price to pay.
The answer to every problem with the AFL is to have less players on the field

Dunstall kicked 1254 goals at a rate of 4.66 goals per game, won 4 flags and 3 Colemans. His record speaks for itself.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That is a phenomenal record but I would take Tony Lockett before Jason Dunstall. Lockett is probably the best kick for goal I have ever seen, intimidated opponents kicked bags of goals and played in some terrible St Kilda sides.

It was pretty cool when forwards played one on one against defenders in open forward lines & the only time you threw numbers back was late in quarters or the end of a tight game.

As someone that never saw it first hand due to age

It's bonkers to me that it took 50 years for someone to figure zoning would work better
Took soccer all of a decade

It's bonkers to me that it took 50 years for someone to figure zoning would work better

It's also a lot easier to zone in soccer due to pitch size/dimensions + not have to worry about full body contact.

It wasn't until the AFL went legitimately pro and players became athletes as opposed to footy players did zones/structures stop the dominant key forward, and even then it was mid/late 2000's when Fev/Buddy were the last to ton up did it really drop away.

That is a phenomenal record but I would take Tony Lockett before Jason Dunstall. Lockett is probably the best kick for goal I have ever seen, intimidated opponents kicked bags of goals and played in some terrible St Kilda sides.

Lockett ahead of Dunstall just. He was just a beast. Both excellent kicks though.

Pretty sure Lockett is already at legend status though.

I think Gary Ablett senior was the best of the lot in full flight though, he could do it all, his highlights are the best to watch.

He doesn’t have legend status, and probably never will because he has been involved in some shady shit off field.

Lockett ahead of Dunstall just. He was just a beast. Both excellent kicks though.

I think Gary Ablett senior was the best of the lot in full flight though, he could do it all, his highlights are the best to watch.

He doesn’t have legend status, and probably never will because he has been involved in some shady s**t off field.

To me, Lockett loses points for his failed comeback, but admittedly he just shades Dunstall.

Bring back the Ansett Cup and trial a no-zone defence rule like the old NBA rule, where if you're marking space and not a player you concede a free kick. You can double team and you can switch from player to player but you can't guard grass.

He doesn’t have legend status, and probably never will because he has been involved in some shady s**t off field.

Gary Ablett Snr is the GOAT

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why on earth you'd give a guy like Keays three years is hilarious, he's the ultimate rolling one year contract type during a rebuild until you find a better option.

It's hilarious until you remember we extended McEntee.
As much as we can make fun of Keays he applies real pressure and kicks a few goals.

The answer to every problem with the AFL is to have less players on the field
It probably just needs 1 less in each line. So 15 a side on the ground, make the bench 6 with no sub.

Having players at 96%+ TOG in a game like modern aussie rules is so ****ing dumb honestly. Its no wonder none of them can kick.

Lockett was much like Dunstall because he had most of his shots from around that 35-40m range and basically straight in front.
Both amazing kicks for goals, nobody close to that these days.

Dunstall was rightly always getting there. Not really much more he could have done, his record is colossal.

I agree that generally there are too many legends. They handed them out a bit too liberally in the early days, seemingly to cover off each of the Vic clubs. But Dunstall was getting in regardless.

Jack is an obvious candidate but he ultimately may never be elevated despite his achievements because nobody cares if you didn't do it in the VFL.

Kenny Hinkley will get in there for the time he saved port Adelaide from extinction and for setting an all time record of 356 games coached without a grand final

Kenny Hinkley will get in there for the time he saved port Adelaide from extinction and for setting an all time record of 356 games coached without a grand final
He won't even make the HoF.

Remember that players were different shapes and sizes back then. Almost all players these days are lean and athletic whereas back then not everyone was a run all day athlete. The switch to drafting athletes over footballers really enabled the sort of tactics we see in today's game.

Always thought Dunstall and Lockett were really close, almost inseperable.

But had Lockett not been suspended/injured so much at his peak, he probably kicks 1500 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back