Queensland State Election (31/1/2015) - Labor form govt (Thread pg 54)

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely the knighting thing was minor in the grand scheme of things and it would be more Abbott in general that had an effect. Assets sales and arrogance are the two big issues for mine and they were set in stone. Any significant narrowing can't be put down to the knighthood IMO. It's just bizarre that something like that could move a swinging voter. I'm really not sure what to think. Today's count has hurt ALP in Mansfield but is going better in Maryborough. Maybe there is no rhyme or reason.

Fortunately there are no other seats that a narrowing could affect at this stage. Most of the margins are decent. I'll panic if any other ALP seats get added to the in doubt list.

Can anybody explain why they can count 60% of votes on election night but it takes them all day to get to 80% the next day? I assume it slows down in the close seats to be more careful but it's weird.
Surely the knighting thing was minor in the grand scheme of things and it would be more Abbott in general that had an effect. Assets sales and arrogance are the two big issues for mine and they were set in stone. Any significant narrowing can't be put down to the knighthood IMO. It's just bizarre that something like that could move a swinging voter. I'm really not sure what to think. Today's count has hurt ALP in Mansfield but is going better in Maryborough. Maybe there is no rhyme or reason.

Fortunately there are no other seats that a narrowing could affect at this stage. Most of the margins are decent. I'll panic if any other ALP seats get added to the in doubt list.

Can anybody explain why they can count 60% of votes on election night but it takes them all day to get to 80% the next day? I assume it slows down in the close seats to be more careful but it's weird.

I pity anyone who would base their vote on tonys asise sir phillip

So your not going to buy because you now know that property prices will colapse?

Bonus. Gets to take advantage of a stupid vendor.

Might be one of those feral political forum members who can't stick around in Qld to be reminded of their stupidity.

Politicians need to be very afraid.

We now give them minimum tenure but extect the right long term decisions

So not only do they have to do the right thing, but convince people that has happened, whhen the evidence to prove that is a few years hence.

Good luck with that through the prism of celebrity and murdochs sick distortions

How far do you think that you can "screw them down" based on the election results known so far. And may I be bold enough to ask what suburb? I am considering an investment property and am keen on any advice that I can receive on the property market collapse due to an ALP government being elected in Qld:thumbsu:.

Property is on the river in East Brisbane so number of potential buyers is limited

If business/investment climate deteriorates then it contracts further as people are far more likely to sit on their hands and wait to see how things pan out - my prediction for Qld economy in general btw

In general terms, SE Qld property market is fine (high population growth and coming off low base) although some areas in Brisbane are over-heated

Have a look at Toowoomba (great fundamentals) and stick to around 350k as you will always find a market in self managed super funds at that level

1. No other way to run the place after the ALP left the coffers empty
2. It's all government debt
3. Nothing bad there
4. If you really think that the gov't can operate a business more efficiently than 99% of the private sector then you are kidding yourself. The gov't would be far better served by leaving it to the experts and screwing the lessee down on terms to ensure that the public is no worse off - it really isn't too hard
5. It's the ALP - zero credibility when it comes to financial management in Queensland
6. See 5 and bwuhahahahahaha at the notion - they didn't think that they'd win so have no plans and just issued a motherhood statement

Yeah we had Ted Bailleu in power here, an accomplished businessman apparently

Total failure as premier

Politicians need to be very afraid.

We now give them minimum tenure but extect the right long term decisions

So not only do they have to do the right thing, but convince people that has happened, whhen the evidence to prove that is a few years hence.

Good luck with that through the prism of celebrity and murdochs sick distortions

The good thing for this potential Qld Labor government is that they promised very little. Little things like reviewing bikie laws are doable without any damage. They promised jobs but not a unemployment rate target.

They really just need to stay frugal, not make cuts, hit some training and employment aims, and all of their members to keep their noses clean, and because LNP made such a big deal about the economy, demonstrate that they are getting it under control. LNP will need to go to the next election trying to offer people a sugar hit rather than having ammunition to tear the ALP down.

Note ... all of these things are easier said than done.

I'm not sure that people expect long term plans to happen early though. The Federal election seemed to be about character flaws in Gillard and Rudd, Abbott's current plight is all personality, Newman was all manner and harshness.

The good thing for this potential Qld Labor government is that they promised very little. Little things like reviewing bikie laws are doable without any damage. They promised jobs but not a unemployment rate target.

They really just need to stay frugal, not make cuts, hit some training and employment aims, and all of their members to keep their noses clean, and because LNP made such a big deal about the economy, demonstrate that they are getting it under control. LNP will need to go to the next election trying to offer people a sugar hit rather than having ammunition to tear the ALP down.

Note ... all of these things are easier said than done.

I'm not sure that people expect long term plans to happen early though. The Federal election seemed to be about character flaws in Gillard and Rudd, Abbott's current plight is all personality, Newman was all manner and harshness.

nurse patient ratios are a big one for my industry. keep our patients safe.

Note that there are 4000 pre-poll votes for Ashgrove and only 1900 separating them. No trend should see that change but mathetically ....

Should mathematics overcome trend lines and his lordship was to win the seat vote wise ... does the fact that he conceded defeat mean it doesn't matter or is the concession just a mechanic with no legally binding value?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If business/investment climate deteriorates then it contracts further as people are far more likely to sit on their hands and wait to see how things pan out - my prediction for Qld economy in general btw

In general terms, SE Qld property market is fine (high population growth and coming off low base) although some areas in Brisbane are over-heated

So what do you believe as these 2 sentences seem a tad contradictory to me.

Should mathematics overcome trend lines and his lordship was to win the seat vote wise ... does the fact that he conceded defeat mean it doesn't matter or is the concession just a mechanic with no legally binding value?

I'd say the concession is just a politeness thing and means nothing. I think pollies are pressure into conceding defeat or accepting victory too early sometimes, based on historical trends and because it is the done thing. I tend to wait until things are a mathematical impossibility.

he he. neve understood why people dont plan properly. look at the bleeding flood maps before you start looking.aint rocket science.

So you know everything about every single property in East Brisbane?

Thanks for your input but if I can afford to buy in that area, I reckon that there is a fair chance that I can read a freely available plan

If he chooses 31 January it will be a mistake, people don't like elections just on holiday time. I'll enjoy watching Newman lose his seat, will serve the LNP right for the way they appointed him in the first place.

Election is going to be very tight, will come down to two factors, who runs the better campaign and where the PUP preference go. Trying to work out the plans for PUP are almost as difficult as picking the right numbers in the lottery. If he lets Abbott or Hockey into the state it will also hurt the LNP chances. Can see a lot of questions being asked about succession planning, the concept of electing the LNP when they have no leader could cost them the election.
Posted on 6 January - prophetic post

Posted on 6 January - prophetic post

The result but I'm not sure the lack of succession planning was a huge factor. Asset sales, leadership style, job cuts and ridiculous mudslinging about bikie gangs were the main factors in the end. However, there is no doubt that Abbott overall has been getting Qld people offside for months now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back