Trade hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

He's only had 2 quarters of footy at AFL level, too hard a call to make a call on if he could make it given the small sample size.

You'd probably be looking at something around the 39 mark again if you are lucky.

Why are Freo not giving him another deal?
I was wondering why he said we shouldn't have drafted him. He hadn't played any AFL then.

I'm not sure why we haven't given him a one year deal. I think we're trying to cut our list to make the 3 delisting/retirements to qualify for the draft bit it would be unfair if we just dropped him.

Why? He was pick 39 so not exactly like we gave up the world for him. From the small sample size we've seen he looks a good player - especially considering the injuries he's had.

Instead of just posting your opinion could you maybe give a reason as to why?
I said he is probably not worth much because he looks like he will be delisted . As for why I'm surprised you drafted him in the first place - small to medium forwards were not a high priority for your list at the time and you probably could have got him in the rookie draft .

You weren't surprised ? Was a left field pick IMO

I said he is probably not worth much because he looks like he will be delisted . As for why I'm surprised you drafted him in the first place - small to medium forwards were not a high priority for your list at the time and you probably could have got him in the rookie draft .

You weren't surprised ? Was a left field pick IMO
Honestly didn't pay much attention back when he was drafted, hence why I asked if there was something blindingly obvious at the time as to why he wouldn't be drafted.

Maybe Birchall, Shoenmakers and our first for 2/3 from Melbourne?

I think Melbourne would look at this & on face value looks a very good deal for us but it still doesn't address our lack of midfielders though, so still unlikely to occur.

Shoey Hallahan and first for pick 2...

I wouldn't have thought so.

No way known will this one happen.

GWS would be getting screwed bigtime in that deal
You are probably right. Theory was GWS won't be using their 3rd and 4th rounders so just threw them in. I can't see them getting much better then a pick 4 to pick 1 upgrade for Jaksch that is if they really want Petracca and a pick 20 to pick 12 upgrade for O'rourke allows them to get another possible top liner rather then who is ever left after the first rd. personally I can't see them getting a pick inside 25 for O'rourke.

You are probably right. Theory was GWS won't be using their 3rd and 4th rounders so just threw them in. I can't see them getting much better then a pick 4 to pick 1 upgrade for Jaksch that is if they really want Petracca and a pick 20 to pick 12 upgrade for O'rourke allows them to get another possible top liner rather then who is ever left after the first rd. personally I can't see them getting a pick inside 25 for O'rourke.

I'd be furious if the Saints downgraded from pick 1 to 4 for Jaksch to be honest. I don't think he is worth it.

How about
GWS
Out- Jaksch, O'rourke, pick 4, pick 20, 3rd and 4th round picks.
In - pick 1 (Petracca) pick 12ish.

North
Out - pick 12ish
In - O'rourke and pick 20

St Kilda
Out - pick 1
In - pick 4, Jaksch, 3rd and 4th rounders

St Kilda would most likely still get McMartin or Wright and GWS will get Petracca and most likely could get one of Goddard, Pickett, Lever or MArchbank with pick 12 who all fit a need for them. Also I think O'rourke would add some run to Norths side with Harvey and Wells getting on

I reckon supporters of each club will probably whinge that they are getting screwed - so it probably makes it pretty fair

Really?

If he was currently at another club you would give up your pick 2 for him?
I'm clearly being sarcastic, but in all serious I think Frawley gets underrated by most people. As a defender he rarely ever gets big bags kicked on him, and this is playing in Melbourne's back line when the ball get's pummelled in there all day.

When Melbourne were actually playing decent footy in 2010 and playing with a bit of run and space Frawley had the freedom to leave his opponent and was rebounding out of the back line as good any key defender I've seen, he simply cant play like this under how poorly Melbourne have been playing. If he plays for a team with a bit of run and space like Geelong I can see him getting back to his All Australian best.

As a forward this year he hasn't been as good, but still Melbourne last in inside 50's Frawley has managed to average 7.6 marks a game, 3rd in the league, his work rate and knows how to get to the right spots is underrated IMO.

He is no superstar but I think he's clearly worth a first round pick.

I'm clearly being sarcastic, but in all serious I think Frawley gets underrated by most people. As a defender he rarely ever gets big bags kicked on him, and this is playing in Melbourne's back line when the ball get's pummelled in there all day.

When Melbourne were actually playing decent footy in 2010 and playing with a bit of run and space Frawley had the freedom to leave his opponent and was rebounding out of the back line as good any key defender I've seen, he simply cant play like this under how poorly Melbourne have been playing. If he plays for a team with a bit of run and space like Geelong I can see him getting back to his All Australian best.

As a forward this year he hasn't been as good, but still Melbourne last in inside 50's Frawley has managed to average 7.6 marks a game, 3rd in the league, his work rate and knows how to get to the right spots is underrated IMO.

Sorry, I clearly missed the sarcasm. So you agree that a top 3 pick is massive over-compensation?

I agree he would be worth a first rounder, albeit a pick around 15-20 IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's only had 2 quarters of footy at AFL level, too hard a call to make a call on if he could make it given the small sample size.

You'd probably be looking at something around the 39 mark again if you are lucky.

Why are Freo not giving him another deal?

I am pretty sure we offered him a new contract, but perhaps we didn't offer enough or didn't guarantee game time or he has a better offer from club X.

I think he would be a good pick up for a club looking for a small forward, but we have Ballas, Walters in front of him. I personally hope we keep him.

Sorry, I clearly missed the sarcasm. So you agree that a top 3 pick is massive over-compensation?

I agree he would be worth a first rounder, albeit a pick around 15-20 IMO.
3 maybe be overs, I don't think it's massive overs, personally think a contending club needing full back would give a top 10 pick although those clubs wouldn't have one.

The AFL has set rules on compensation, age and wage, he's still young in free agency terms and a wage of $600k plus would get him band 1, which would be pick 3 because of Melbourne's poor season, if Melbourne was top 4 the same pick would be 15-20 but Frawley would probably stay then.

He may not even get paid $600k so he may not even get band 1 but of course I hope he does get paid it.

Carlton, Melbourne, GWS and Saints fans...

Pick 1 to GWS for Pick 4, Jaksch, O'Rourke
Jaksch to Carlton for pick 25
O'Rourke to Melbourne for pick 22

Saints end up with pick 4, 22, 25
GWS pick 1

It's the only way I see GWS being happy with a trade for the two because they are not interested in 2nd round picks but unfortunately that's all they are worth. GWS have apparently already contacted the Saints about getting pick one. Saints are keen to get more picks in the top 25. Blues are keen on Jaksch, O'Rourke may fit in at Melbourne.

The only other way I see GWS fans happy with a deal with the pair is if they pair them up and get a mid first round pick.

GWS pick 1

It's the only way I see GWS being happy with a trade for the two because they are not interested in 2nd round picks but unfortunately that's all they are worth. GWS have apparently already contacted the Saints about getting pick one. Saints are keen to get more picks in the top 25. Blues are keen on Jaksch, O'Rourke may fit in at Melbourne.

The only other way I see GWS fans happy with a deal with the pair is if they pair them up and get a mid first round pick.

Delete this post immediately. It makes too much sense for all clubs. This crap does not belong on Bigfooty.

Have to agree with this. Frawley has been underated since rumours have began about huge salary request that was obvioulsy not correct. Hasn't had a fantastic year but has provided a leading target up the ground up forawrd and has gone back as well. Would be a worth first round pick, probably around 10.

3 maybe be overs, I don't think it's massive overs, personally think a contending club needing full back would give a top 10 pick although those clubs wouldn't have one.

The AFL has set rules on compensation, age and wage, he's still young in free agency terms and a wage of $600k plus would get him band 1, which would be pick 3 because of Melbourne's poor season, if Melbourne was top 4 the same pick would be 15-20 but Frawley would probably stay then.

He may not even get paid $600k so he may not even get band 1 but of course I hope he does get paid it.
Even if the salary's only ~500K, I'd be hoping for band 1 anyway, given he will probably get a 5+ year deal and he's only 25. Most of the other FA's to leave for big money have been years older and on shorter deals.

James Polkinghorne offers? What Vic clubs would even be likely to take him?

Brisbane have had massive list turnover in the last 3 years:
Out: Brown, Moloney, McGrath, Black, Raines, Buchanan, Drummond (retired), Yeo, Polec, Docherty, Karnezis, Longer (traded), Banfield, Stiller, Hawksley, Sheldon (delisted)

You had rookies (think it was Bartlett, Mackeever, Newell and Wrigley?).

Then Polkinghorne is likely to go, Lisle too?

Big room for someone - Frawley? Beams? Bellchambers? T.Mitchell?

GWS pick 1

GWS giving up two first-rounders for a three pick upgrade? Not sure they would do that. I would take Jaksch for 25 though, so..........:thumbsu:

GWS pick 1

I think there are years where giving up those two for just that pick upgrade would be worth it, but I don't feel this is one of those years.
I think the 2nd suggestion is possibly much more likely at this point.

GWS giving up two first-rounders for a three pick upgrade? Not sure they would do that. I would take Jaksch for 25 though, so..........:thumbsu:

Yes they are both first round draft picks but they have lost value. I can't think of a club that would give up a first round pick for them and apparently GWS aren't interested in second round picks.

Would you be happy with Carlton giving up their first pick for the pair? I've gotta say, I think that's way overs. But maybe a club with a later pick would do it.

Only other possible scenario is if GWS do take the second round pick for either and on trade that pick for a mature player?

GWS pick 1

Then Saints could trade pick 22 & 25 for Hawks first rounder (17/18) and our second rounder, netting you 2 first round picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back