Victoria Election - 29 November 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I voted early, and I voted liberal. I've always voted voted labour except for the last state election. I still voted for Julia.

I see no news as good news. I don't want to read about another myki or Desal plant.

Liberals have managed the state well including tightening up, where some tightening was needed. Well done!

I voted early, and I voted liberal. I've always voted voted labour except for the last state election. I still voted for Julia.

I see no news as good news. I don't want to read about another myki or Desal plant.

Liberals have managed the state well including tightening up, where some tightening was needed. Well done!

You heard about the East-West link?

Business case not released. Emails show that even on the government's business case (which we can't scrutinise since they won't release it) the Metro Rail Tunnel, which the government is not going ahead with, would be a better investment. Now, despite the contracts having been signed, the government is refusing to tell us how much we're going to pay for it. Apparently even after signing contracts it's important that the public is kept in the dark. Recent estimates put the cost at $12.5B over 25 years.

Don't get me wrong Myki was a complete joke. Unfortunately the ALP gave in to pressure over the desal plant despite there being far cheaper and better alternatives for future-proofing Melbourne's water supply, such as better water saving measures which was a massive success early in Bracks' term. Right now the east-west link just looks like the Liberal party doing their best to outdo Labor's incompetence when it comes to major public infrastructure. From the outside with the east-west link they might have just achieved that.

You heard about the East-West link?

Business case not released. Emails show that even on the government's business case (which we can't scrutinise since they won't release it) the Metro Rail Tunnel, which the government is not going ahead with, would be a better investment. Now, despite the contracts having been signed, the government is refusing to tell us how much we're going to pay for it. Apparently even after signing contracts it's important that the public is kept in the dark. Recent estimates put the cost at $17B over 25 years.

Don't get me wrong Myki was a complete joke. Unfortunately the ALP gave in to pressure over the desal plant despite there being far cheaper and better alternatives for future-proofing Melbourne's water supply, such as better water saving measures which was a massive success early in Bracks' term. Right now the east-west link just looks like the Liberal party doing their best to outdo Labor's incompetence when it comes to major public infrastructure. From the outside with the east-west link they might have just achieved that.

EFA

Myki was a disaster. The desal plant was the idea of the Liberal Party who, along with the HS, pressured the Labor Party into building it.

At the end of the day, all Government built major infrastructure projects blowout, regardless of whether it's the Labor or Liberal Party in power at the time. The big, and key, difference is that the Liberal Party don't invest in major infrastructure projects whereas the Labor Party do. It's easy to avoid project cost blowouts and disasters if you choose not to do anything; just as the Liberals have done over the past four years - nothing. The last major infrastructure investment made by the State Liberal Party was Federation Square, which ended up with substantial cost blowouts and the final figure was FOUR times what was budgeted.

Denis Napthine and his government will need to do a 'Paul Keating 1993' if they are to have any chance of retaining government. Can the Coalition claw back a 4% gap between now and Election Night?

Denis Napthine and his government will need to do a 'Paul Keating 1993' if they are to have any chance of retaining government. Can the Coalition claw back a 4% gap between now and Election Night?

Unless Andrews loses it and has riotous rallies in the streets, no.

Intersting that a million or so have already voted, and of the rest, a huge proportion undecided.

Not much in th middle of those two groups

On john Hewson, its all too convenient for him to blame having a big policy target for his defeat. He ran a pathetic campaign an in the end people thought he would cut cut cut with the worst excesses of thatchers britain were he to win. A very scary prospect

Like the time when he said if you stop to help someone up, itll only slow you down

Last edited:
The ABC has launched the Legislative Council Calculator:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/vic-election-2014/legislative-council-calculator/

One quirk I found was People Power Victoria/No Smart Metres getting a preference run Ricky Muir would proud of. I had them manage to snare the 5th spot with 0.35% of the vote...

This was the initial allocation (Northern Metropolitan):
View attachment 93502
Once again proves that people should be allowed to preference above the line.

One big difference, Andrews isn't trying to sell a GST to the electorate

Seeing this is Victorian politics version of the Grand Final, predict a winning party and margin. In my book, it would be Labor by 10 seats.

Itd be great to have an independent with some clout shining a light on the fining mentality in victoria.

No doubt its a business function with a career path, making it difficult for people and laying traps of fines and charges all over the place, amd the industry needs $$$ to sustain it which come from more and more fines

Its the one thing which would lead me to take up politics in this state

On another tack, how do the libs anti CFMEU ass look on he weekend when their rival, grocon, have been blasted for dangerous work ie the swanston st wall disaster

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Myki was a disaster. The desal plant was the idea of the Liberal Party who, along with the HS, pressured the Labor Party into building it.

At the end of the day, all Government built major infrastructure projects blowout, regardless of whether it's the Labor or Liberal Party in power at the time. The big, and key, difference is that the Liberal Party don't invest in major infrastructure projects whereas the Labor Party do. It's easy to avoid project cost blowouts and disasters if you choose not to do anything; just as the Liberals have done over the past four years - nothing. The last major infrastructure investment made by the State Liberal Party was Federation Square, which ended up with substantial cost blowouts and the final figure was FOUR times what was budgeted.

Ok.. How does an opposition party pressure a government into spending a few billion dollars on a project? And a very weak opposition at that. How about just admitting that labour ****ed up. Much more cheaper options available but they built an eyesore God awful never to be used expensive Desai plant.

How about the cfmeu? ACCC might sue them or will sue them about their forcing boral to not supply building supplies to Grocon (thuggish boycott) ?

Seen the crap Labor did in NSW with Eddie Obeid and McDonald?

I don't trust them. They are corrupt.

And ******* don't tell me a liberal opposition forced labour to build smart meters!

Idiots the lot of them

On another tack, how do the libs anti CFMEU ass look on he weekend when their rival, grocon, have been blasted for dangerous work ie the swanston st wall disaster
Arguably the most corrupt developer in Australia gets a slap on the wrist with a damp lettuce for being culpable for the deaths of 3 people. Outrageous!

Vote for this guy:
Matthew_McLaren_300dpi_FLAT_CMYK_340x395.jpg

Great guy to have a drink with, has an impressive collection of hats and dances like a mad man.

Smart meters
Myki
desal

All labour policies

CFMEU
Unions - pricing Australian businesses out. Rioting in the city and carrying illegal threats

All labour mates

Pity Nappers and his band of concealers weren't sufficiently open and honest enough to hold off the signing of the East/West Link deal until after the election. Why take the people into account?

Then, to exacerbate matters, refuse to release any data supporting it and the details of the secret deal.

Not sure they'll be too many Royal Park residents supporting Nappers and the developers best friend Guy.

At the end of the day, all Government built major infrastructure projects blowout,

Isn't the Regional Rail Link coming in on time and budget?

I'm voting Labor for the first time in ages, largely on the basis on what is best for my footy club.

Smart meters
Myki
desal

All labour policies

CFMEU
Unions - pricing Australian businesses out. Rioting in the city and carrying illegal threats

All labour mates

I find it astounding that CFMEU copped $1.25m fine for protesting while Grocon only got $650k for killing three people on the wall collapse.

I was direct on the scene at both (well, at the wall a few minutes after it fell, just as they were covering the bodies) and I know which was worse.

Kind of ironic that the wall collapsed right over the road from CFMEU headquarters.

Ok.. How does an opposition party pressure a government into spending a few billion dollars on a project? And a very weak opposition at that. How about just admitting that labour ****** up. Much more cheaper options available but they built an eyesore God awful never to be used expensive Desai plant.

How about the cfmeu? ACCC might sue them or will sue them about their forcing boral to not supply building supplies to Grocon (thuggish boycott) ?

Seen the crap Labor did in NSW with Eddie Obeid and McDonald?

I don't trust them. They are corrupt.
Sprouting a lot of anti-Labor crap for someone who claims to have voted Labor his whole life.

I have no idea why Federal or NSW issues are relevant to the State Labor Party, but you're telling the story.

Desal - Liberal Party policy before Labor caved in and adopted their idea:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/victo...-water-solution/2006/11/12/1163266413591.html
http://www.theage.com.au/news/vicel...libs-water-plan/2006/11/13/1163266481680.html
http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2006/s1786885.htm

Isn't the Regional Rail Link coming in on time and budget?
A project planned, funded and committed to under the previous Labor Government and subsequently built during the Liberals time in power.

Nope. Budgeted at 4.3 billion in May, 2010. It's on time, although its worth noting that the project scope was reduced by the Ballieu Government. But you're right, one of the few good projects thats pretty close to perfect.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/napthine-blasted-for-hiding-project-costs-20131126-2y883.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back