Will Langford - Have I been living under a rock?

Remove this Banner Ad

Come back and quote me if Hawthorn lift up the cup 5:45pm next Saturday.

Bobby_ at his bitter best! I had a dream that the Cats didn't get knocked out in straight sets and Langford lined up on Selwood. Then I woke up :)

Enjoy the week, I'm sure you'll have a blast with all those Mad Monday snaps and all...

A 20 year old standing up in a cut throat PF and securing 29 possessions, 10 clearances, 6 tackles, a few scoring assists and a goal. Perhaps Caddie could take note of Langford or perhaps not :)

Last edited:

Was brilliant again last night - just as well, many of his senior colleagues didn't seem to want to work as hard as he did.

Played like mcglynn - no way were either of them going to go quietly into the night - both want the chance at premiership glory and nothing was getting in their way

If only his doppleganger Steven Morris had as much footballing ability.

MORRIS%20Steven.png

LANGFORD%20Will.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that why you are on here carrying on like a moron? To mask your nervousness?

Not at all.
I didn't 'carry on like a moron' as I was tagged into this thread after Saturday night's game by a couple of your own (Penal & Judd2Sewell) who wanted me to respond which I did.

Having watched his game, yes, he was good but I wouldn't go so far as to say he was BOG, or led the way for Hawthorn as Modified Dog indicated. Half of his disposals were fumbled, he rarely, if ever chooses to kick the footy and he allowed Boak to get off the leash in the last ten minutes which almost cost Hawthorn the match, as you can see below.

Reminds of Mitch Robinson the manor in which he attacks the contests. Not sure he has the tools to become a genuine star for Hawthorn though. Is more of a Jonathan Simpkin type but with much more pace.

Why? Because I posted a highlights video and gave an opinion in which you strongly disagree with?

19 contested possessions, most of which came when his team was staring into the abyss. This was more than anyone else on the park. If he wasn't BOG he was in the top three (Boak and Roughead were the only players who were close).

A nice article by Emma Quayle on Hawthorn's surprise packet from off the rookie list.
One of the AFL's feel-good stories of 2014. They don't all have to be superstars or ex-criminals.

Article%20Lead%20-%20wide6139346610k47pimage.related.articleLeadwide.729x410.10jvi2.png1411339394225.jpg-620x349.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...th-the-wait-for-hawthorn-20140921-10jvi2.html

When Will Langford was 16, he knocked back a football scholarship to live in France for three months as an exchange student. When he was 17, he decided to play rugby instead of Australian Rules. By the time he turned 18 he couldn't do very much at all, bound to bed and sleeping 20 hours a day before he was diagnosed with a form of chronic fatigue syndrome. He is the son of one of the Hawthorn greats, who grew up in Sydney and joined his father's club not as a father-son draftee, but as a much more anonymous NSW scholarship player. On Saturday, he'll be playing in an AFL grand final, with one of the biggest jobs to do.

A lot happened to Langford before he got to Hawthorn, but more has gone on in the four seasons since. First, he simply wanted to start training again, having been unwell for so long. Then he needed to find a way off the rookie list. He was taught how to play in defence, what to do in the midfield and how the forward line worked. He snuck into the senior team late last year, then went straight back out.

But that he has played almost every game this year, and become one of his side's hardest, most diligent and high-energy players, has not really surprised anyone. "He had a crack from the day he started. Every time you get a kid in who really likes to train and really wants to have a go, you think they've got a chance regardless of the rest of the package. And he had a go," said teammate Sam Mitchell.

"When the young guys come in, they're either very placid and sit in the background or they have a crack and you're saying to them, 'would you settle down? It's December, can you please stop running into me? He was certainly the latter, and you prefer that. He was running into me trying to hurt me, but even though it was annoying, I remember thinking, 'I really like this one'."

It's what Langford has always liked, too. He knew he was coming from a fair way back when he joined the club, but already liked to throw himself around. He knew he had a lot to learn, but went there looking forward to catching up…

continued….

Was brilliant again last night - just as well, many of his senior colleagues didn't seem to want to work as hard as he did.

Yep, well said. We were lucky to win. against a quality side like Port it took their missed opportunities, a kid leading the way and Roughy finally having a big game in a final to earn pur selves a shot at one of the best sides I have seen since Brisbanes era. We will need every player playing at their best to be in the contest, we did it when we last played them but will have to be even better on Saturday.

As an MCC member, I got there (very) early to get a good seat. Most of the players who came out just milled around a bit, had a few shots (McEvoy didn't miss on goal BTW, and he wan't even playing), Stratts bopped around with the headphones on. Langford was the first one out on the ground warming up, about two hours before the game started. First he sat in the middle, Matty Hayden style and had a moment to think, then he went in the rooms and came back out and smashed out a quick lap around the ground, and it wasn't a slow jog. He had the foot down. Then he proceeded to just have a heap of shots at goal. Love the youthful exuberance of the guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back