WWE Elimination Chamber, Sunday 19th February 2023, 12pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Me, the same replicated views across social media and more significantly the obvious and clear reaction of the live audience last night.

There are views all over social media for those that loved it and hated it. Hardly weighted in one direction.

And by gosh wow, the crowd was flat after the home town baby face lost!

There are views all over social media for those that loved it and hated it. Hardly weighted in one direction.

... Because the loss is far more significant to the audience than the tag team 'consolation prize' that no-one was enthused for?

You’re doing a lot of speaking on behalf of everyone here. It seems to me like plenty of people care about a slow build, given how engaged people have been with the Bloodline story.

So KO no sells the Rumble beat down and months of Sami being heel, costing KO matches, etc. just to rush to some sort of “can they coexist” thing?

Also why would Jey and Sami want to fight each other? That’s an even bigger part of the story that you’re choosing to just ignore because you’re easily bored.

So what they couldn’t do since the Rumble will be done now before Mania 🤷‍♂️

I don’t believe there is a problem. If you enjoy it that’s great and if you don’t that’s fair enough. There’s plenty of content out there.

Viewership of the weekly television may have dropped but the PLE’s have reportedly risen as well as other metrics like online activity.

There is a renewed interest atm as it’s Mania season, this should be when they try and capture new and returning fans. Keeping those who watch no matter what s**t they dish up shouldn’t be important because the same people who think Romans a good champion would keep watching if Dom was champ.

But for the casual viewers they’ll tune in, see a good storyline and then the EC confirms it’s still the same old s**t and they’ll tune out again.

Sami has been the best thing in WWE for the last 12 months but because HHH doesn’t think a small wrestler should be champ, he got buried.

Agreed. Not ideal Roman losing now but you can get the belt back on him easy enough between now and Mania. Won't get another opportunity with Zayne or anyone else like EC was. Haven't seen the crowd onboard with a baby face like that since Eddie won at NWO 04.

Could of lost the Belt to Zayn and then Win it back a week or 2 Later.

Though don't want to end a 900+ Day Reign on the PPV before Wrestlemania

A flat reaction is not and never been good. Is not the same as a negative reaction with the crowd booing (which they absolutely weren't here they just died).

There is a renewed interest atm as it’s Mania season, this should be when they try and capture new and returning fans. Keeping those who watch no matter what s**t they dish up shouldn’t be important because the same people who think Romans a good champion would keep watching if Dom was champ.

But for the casual viewers they’ll tune in, see a good storyline and then the EC confirms it’s still the same old s**t and they’ll tune out again.

Sami has been the best thing in WWE for the last 12 months but because HHH doesn’t think a small wrestler should be champ, he got buried.

Vince was the same. Only reason why Hart and Michaels got a run was because of the steroid scandal. Then as soon as that was over we got Reigns I mean the Diesiel run (Not a lot of difference between the 2, both are/were boring) was a failure. Followed by the Sid and Undertsker runs. Which proved to be ineffective so they gave it back to Hart.

I don’t bother watching the WWE PPV’s or shows as it’s been repetitive and uninteresting since the Roman push. Only read stuff online. With Roman and Brock holding the belts hostage for the past 6/7 years my interest in this product is non existent.

Fantastic debate here, and well done on keeping it reasonably civil. I understand both sides and both make sense.

Loved the crowd reactions, even the silence at the 3-count.
IMO the result was the right one. The storyline continues. Looking forward to Smackdown and the aftermath.

Vince was the same. Only reason why Hart and Michaels got a run was because of the steroid scandal. Then as soon as that was over we got Reigns I mean the Diesiel run (Not a lot of difference between the 2, both are/were boring) was a failure. Followed by the Sid and Undertsker runs. Which proved to be ineffective so they gave it back to Hart.

I don’t bother watching the WWE PPV’s or shows as it’s been repetitive and uninteresting since the Roman push. Only read stuff online. With Roman and Brock holding the belts hostage for the past 6/7 years my interest in this product is non existent.

I’ve been the same for a few years, didn’t even watch Mania last few years just Austin v KO afterwards and maybe one or 2 others.

It’s only been the fact the Sami segments kept popping up on YouTube and Facebook that got me intrigued and a Foxtel free trial or 3 that I actually watched the Rumble and now EC.

I’ll probably watch Mania if I can get another free trial but I’m also expecting Roman to win…

The problem is with them having one champion it’s completely killed the company. At least with 2 champions you could previously have the one champion no one cares for and still have a champ worth watching and to push real talent.

I saw something today, the titles have been defended 6 times in the last 12 months…Brock did more!!!

Also just in the Brock and Roman comparisons, at least Brock went away and made himself a mega star, he earns his money.

Sure he’s held the company hostage since but he’s cashing in on his own hard work.

Roman is on top solely because they want to keep the Rock happy. WM 31 Roman had his whole family there for his big moment and Vince woke up just in time and changed tack for the better. Then Roman chucked a tantrum and had a cry and now they bend over for him on the small belief Rock will leave Hollywood and grace them with his presence in a WWE ring one more time…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that television viewership is the be all end all these days, but I’d be shocked if viewership declined over the next couple of months

Buried?

He got a main event slot against the highest draw in the company. Got 35 mins and was as close as anyone has ever got to beating him.

A flat reaction is not and never been good. Is not the same as a negative reaction with the crowd booing (which they absolutely weren't here they just died).

As a general rule I absolutely agree. But I think this particular case is different, with the home town factor, the emotional journey throughout the match, natural disappointment etc.

I don’t believe it will impact anything crowd wise regarding character investment moving forward, especially moving back to the States. I’m glad they’ve stuck to what seems to be, and we can only assume to be the plan. But that’s just my opinion. I guess we’ll find out in due time.

Yep, and it's not much good now trying to pretend like they knew it was coming because home town guy lost.

They set up the finish as a 'go home happy' moment. They significantly misread the audience's mood, to the point that they were rattled by it in the press conferences.

You can't book to please everybody let alone a one night hometown crowd and there's no point getting too worked up about it.
The key is putting the ball back into your own court with smart viewership and I think I've found the perfect balance over the last 15 years. The best way to go about it is to tune in heavy for the Royal Rumble, skip work, make a day of it, whatever.
Then struggle through all the filler between the Rumble and Mania. Complain about it to ever will listen if you feel so inclined, generally have to go online for that.
Next you watch the 6 hours of Mania in about 2.5 hours, hell I didn't even have to watch the last few Roman/Brock ones after seeing it the first time. Talk about convenient.
After that you watch the Raw after Mania and think some of that was pretty cool.
Then the best part... You totally disassociate from WWE for the next 10 months, don't even watch a minute and know you're not missing anything. For example, people actually sat through a year of Bianca Belair's reign, when they could have just come in fresh, watched her match at the rumble and after hearing Cole say "it's the EST of WWE" watch her spin her hair around then win, knowing that they've just caught up on everything there is to know about that since last WrestleMania.
While they entertained me yesterday, come May I probably won't even remember who Austin Theory, Johnny Gargano and Montez Ford are, and I'll be much better off for it.

I actually like the Bloodline storyline, despite not agreeing with WWE not pulling the trigger at EC. It's gotten me back into watching week to week. Sami, of course, the best part of it. Not really that invested in what they do with Jey Uso, he's never been particularly interesting.

Not that television viewership is the be all end all these days, but I’d be shocked if viewership declined over the next couple of months

Buried?

He got a main event slot against the highest draw in the company. Got 35 mins and was as close as anyone has ever got to beating him.
Was he really any closer than the others? Top of my head haven’t KO and Drew at least both had him pinnned/ref bump finishes?

It doesn't take years, nor does it take this many words, to understand that WWE has always booked its good guys as the main characters. Because that's who fans have always paid to see. The only difference now is that Vince preferred his babyfaces to be champ, whereas Triple H grew up more with the NWA and its heel champs.

A man you mentioned in your post contradicts your post, Triple H.

The years between The Rock/Austin and Cena's real reign as the top of WWE it was Triple H who was top billed and everything ran through him.

When Seth was aligned with The Authority it was the Authority and Rollins who the show ran through.

The top dog of the company has always been the catalyst.

Romsn is not the catalyst. Sometimes he's not even the catalyst of his own faction

Remove this Banner Ad

Back