Who will be CrackerJacked this week?

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Power 2 weeks ago
Daniel Kerr last week

Plenty of in-form Geelong mids to choose from!

Joel Corey
Jimmy Bartel
James Kelly
Joel Selwood
Gary Ablett
Corey Enright
Cameron Ling

My money's on SOG. Similar sizes, has pace which Kirk would struggle with. Kirk is more likely to end up on Corey or Bartel although Geelong might send Lingy onto Kirky.

Chapman is another possibility.

But I think Ablett is the most likely first up. He's top of the list of those who you'd want to lock down, and is the quickest too, thus taking advantage of Jack's own pace.

Kirk on Bartel.

The Battle for my affection :D

Agree with Ablett, how good would it be to watch that next week !

hopefully jack plays on gary ablett, and teaches him what a hard ball get is!!

match ups in the midfield:

jack vs g.ablett
kirk vs bartel
L.ablett vs kelly
bolton vs corey

L.ablett vs kelly
bolton vs corey

Has Bolton ever done a tagging job in his life? I am not sure why he never seems to be asked to play tight on someone. It's not as if he's a super premium clearance winning, smart kicking machine of his own.

I think Corey is a far more consistently damaging midfielder for Geelong than Kelly (even though Kelly always seemed to play well against us before Geelong became the powerhouse they currently are). I'd have Ablett on Corey as a priority over Kelly any day.

I suggested elsewhere that Bird might be asked to play on Selwood, but Kelly's another possible opponent for him.

Watching the Cats this season the key to stopping them is accountability when they have the ball. So often their gun midfielders Bartel especially find metres of space on there own and seem as though no-one is playing on them. I know it must be difficult for any team to match up against such a great midfield but to see Ablett, Bartel & Corey getting possesions in that amount space frequently is absurd.

Which ever players get the big jobs this week will just have to be accountable.

my bad liz

all i meant was that bolton will just match up on him not tag

lets be serious we cant tag em all, and even if we could we'd be playin reactive football not pro-active

I think Corey is a far more consistently damaging midfielder for Geelong than Kelly (even though Kelly always seemed to play well against us before Geelong became the powerhouse they currently are). I'd have Ablett on Corey as a priority over Kelly any day.

I'm not sold on Corey as a damaging midfielder. He strikes me as workhorse who racks up disposals but doesn't really hurt the opposision like an Ablett or Bartel.

Corey rarely if ever kicks goals and does not have punishing disposal. IMO 14 possesions from a David Wojcinski type players who tears through the midfield and delivers long into the 50 is worth 25 Joel Corey short kicks and link handballs around the wings.

Has Bolton ever done a tagging job in his life? I am not sure why he never seems to be asked to play tight on someone. It's not as if he's a super premium clearance winning, smart kicking machine of his own.

I suggested elsewhere that Bird might be asked to play on Selwood, but Kelly's another possible opponent for him.
what role does Jude play in the team then?

I've got a feeling Jack might go onto Corey this week, he's their leading poss. winner and seems to slip under the rader a bit. Also got a feeling McVeigh may pick up Ablett or Bartell.

Also, is it posible if anyone can be stuffed, to get a list of players that have been "CrackerJacked"? with their stats?

Any merit in bringing in Mathews or Crouch for this one. The more negative mids this week the better.

Clearly Crouch is no chance to play given that he's not fronted up at all this season.

And no, I can't see Mathews being brought in at this stage.

We've already got Kirk and Ablett who play defensively. Jack's being given roles on high quality quicker players, and Bird's being asked to run with slightly less dangerous opponents too.

Dangerous as Geelong are, you can't just tag everyone.

I've got a feeling Jack might go onto Corey this week, he's their leading poss. winner and seems to slip under the rader a bit. Also got a feeling McVeigh may pick up Ablett or Bartell.

Also, is it posible if anyone can be stuffed, to get a list of players that have been "CrackerJacked"? with their stats?
I'm trying to recall who he played on in R1? Was it Montagna?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think definitely Kirk on Bartel.
I'm not too sure playing jack on either Corrie (who is in great form) or Gary Ablett, because I'm still a bit worried play him on the chunkier midfielders.

I might start him in the back line against Stokes and maybe start N. Ablett on Corrie and maybe Bevan on G.Ablett. Then rotate him into the midfield during the game.

Any merit in bringing in Mathews or Crouch for this one. The more negative mids this week the better.

no
crouch is still injured, isn't he?
but there is no benefit in bringing in mathews for a player who's going better than him
whatever the reason
who would you drop to make way for mathews???
i can't believe this is even a topic for discussion
bringing either of them back now would be a major step backwards
why do we have to be "negative" anyway? why don't we just go there and give it a crack, play as we have been playing and see what happens
this is not personal, southswans, but just the suggestion has got me really cranky, as i don't believe there is a place for either crouch or mathews in our best 22 any more
going on reports from our seconds, there's probly 3-4 players i'd put ahead of crouch or mathews in the queue to come in

we need to replace hall, i'm not sure about grundy's fitness and the other question mark would be on brennan
but crouch or mathews is not any solution at all

I'm not too sure playing jack on either Corrie (who is in great form) or Gary Ablett, because I'm still a bit worried play him on the chunkier midfielders.

I might start him in the back line against Stokes and maybe start N. Ablett on Corrie and maybe Bevan on G.Ablett. Then rotate him into the midfield during the game.

He's just done great shut down roles on Power and Kerr. Why would you hide him in a back pocket on a player who can't be more than the 17th or 18th most dangerous Cat? Strength doesn't seem to be an issue and his tackling technique is sound. I think Ablett's smarts are far more of a danger than his strength, but I'd back Jack to cope with them over Bevan on recent form.

He's just done great shut down roles on Power and Kerr. Why would you hide him in a back pocket on a player who can't be more than the 17th or 18th most dangerous Cat? Strength doesn't seem to be an issue and his tackling technique is sound. I think Ablett's smarts are far more of a danger than his strength, but I'd back Jack to cope with them over Bevan on recent form.
Just worried about his physique and how much tear and wear he's going to get against the bigger players. The last thing you want to see is a young star with some good games under his belt to get an injury. Power and Kerr are both good players, but more of Jack's size and weight than the Geelong players.

Against Geelong, which I think has the most developed bodies in terms of midfielders, I would want to protect him a bit, especially from the start, and ease him into a bigger role in the middle stages of the game. G. Ablett, Bartel, Corrie, Ling etc are all 88kg+ while Jack's 78kg (according to footywire - both Power and Kerr are less than 80kg). Maybe he can take Kelly or Selwood, who's a bit lighter. But Stokes will match up him will in terms of speed and size (and I'll struggle to find an opponent for him in our back line), I actually think it wouldn't hurt to rotate him into a less-tagging, more attacking role this game because Geelong will have a hard time matching him up if he's used as a more attacking player. Just not keen for him to be in the trenches full time in this game.

This is a game that I think we should cautious with our youngsters. Jack's a young bloke, and even he've shined against some quality opponents, we should really look to protect him a bit.

I think it was Bird who predominantly played on Pearce.

Not sure who Jack started on. He was moved onto Jnr Burgoyne at half-time, after he'd proved to be a bit too quick for Kirk. But then he got himself knocked out so probably only spent a quarter actually playing on Burgoyne.

I'm not too sure playing jack on either Cory (who is in great form) or Gary Ablett, because I'm still a bit worried play him on the chunkier midfielders.

I might start him in the back line against Stokes and maybe start N. Ablett on Cory and maybe Bevan on G.Ablett. Then rotate him into the midfield during the game.

Is Nathan playing again and switched teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back