Players who passed away during their playing days?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotleyOne

Team Captain
Sep 24, 2007
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Watching a replay of the Port V Melbourne game last night i suddenly had this memory of Troy Broadbridge playing for Melbourne.

I must admit that i felt a little guilty that i had almost forgotten about him. And wondered what happened to his wife. It makes you realise how life goes on without you once you are gone.

Can anyone bring up some names of players from the past that have passed away during their playing days. I dont mean this to be morbid, but more of a way of remembering them.

I can think of Troy Broadbridge for Melbourne, and Darren Milane from collingwood.

I remember in the SANFL with Mark Williams brother Anthony was killed in a building accident.

And when Peter Motley was nearly killed before he even had a chance to show the VFL just how good he was.

Im sure there has to be others out there that have probably been forgotten by us supporters, but not their families.

Very young too. From all reports was going to be a very good footballer. My local club's Best Clubman award is named in his honour.
This tragic accident happened on New Year's Day 1990, he was only 19yo and in the middle of a fantastic pre-season under Terry Wheeler - Wheeler was the coach of Williamstown at the time who picked young Ron from obscrutiy as a 14yo to play in the 1985 VFL Grand Final. Martin Flanagan wrote a fantastic piece on Ron a couple of years ago:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268129

He would have been a very good AFL player had he had the opportunity. Was a perfect build for a mid-90's inside midfielder.

Jamie Tape died in a car accident a couple of years after he was de-listed by Collingwood. I think he was playing in the SANFL at the time. Another to die shortly after his career finished was Gary Dhurkkay. And I guess if you want to get technical, there were plenty that die during WWI and WWII

My Uncle, Denis Strauch, passed away from a cancer related illness a few years after he finished playing with the Blues. He was only 28yo and still playing with Port Melbourne.

I stayed in a hotel down in Tassie a number of years ago that was owned by an ex-Blue who had played with Uncle Denis. The owner and his wife told me a few stories about him and my Aunt, which was great a great pleasure.

An article from Blueseum lists the Carlton players taken in their prime.

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=26

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think it was a car accident that killed Jamie Tape, i think it was cancer, may have even been leukaemia.

He was over that and back in training with WWT.

He suffered a heart attack or some other acute failure while at the wheel.

According to Wikipedia, Jamie Tape died of a suspected brain aneurysm while at the wheel of his car. He had been suffering from Hodgkins Lymphoma, but had overcome the disease.

Essendon half back flanker Doug Tassell died in a car accident on QB weekend 1970.

Geelong youngster Edgar Gunn died in a car accident in August 1979.

Someone already mentioned Maurie Sankey of Carlton dying in a car accident at the end of the 1965 season.

Collingwood winger Graeme Reichman who played 11 games in 1973 committed suicide 5 or 6 years ago in the country.

Collingwood Reserves ruckman Walter Amadio died of cardiomyopathy after getting a virus in 1981 or 1982.

Anthony Stevens came within less then 1mm of dying when broken glass, that fell from the second story of a hotel, slit his neck open a few years ago. Has he scars to prove.

Anthony Stevens came within less then 1mm of dying when broken glass, that fell from the second story of a hotel, slit his neck open a few years ago. Has he scars to prove.

Not to mention the inside of Shagga's older brother's car. Can't even imagine how harrowing the whole thing would've been for everyone.

That was in 2002 wasn't it? Shortly before the Carey saga if I remember correctly. Wasn't a good time for Stevo.

Essendon half back flanker Doug Tassell died in a car accident on QB weekend 1970.

Geelong youngster Edgar Gunn died in a car accident in August 1979.

Someone already mentioned Maurie Sankey of Carlton dying in a car accident at the end of the 1965 season.

Collingwood winger Graeme Reichman who played 11 games in 1973 committed suicide 5 or 6 years ago in the country.

Collingwood Reserves ruckman Walter Amadio died of cardiomyopathy after getting a virus in 1981 or 1982.

I know this thread is about during playing days but if you mean he committed suicide in rural Australia (presume you do) it is very similar to Jeff Fehring from the Saints (he of the long goal fame) who cmitted suicide recently.

There is a thread on the Saints Board. Not sure how to insert the thread, but I have posted a very emotional poem re: rural suicide. If any one is interested I will post it here.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470486&highlight=vale+jeff

Hopefully that works. Rural suicide is a very serious issue in Australia and one we should all be aware of. When it happens to someone who has been an AFL footballer it seems to show that it can strike anyone (not suggesting they are different, but they have had different opportunities).

Read the poem in the Saints thread, it will affect you and open your eyes, I guarantee it.

Many ex-footy players also suffer depression, a terrible problem in our society.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back