GWS Entry to be Delayed by One Year!

Remove this Banner Ad

cust22

Debutant
Mar 27, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have it on good account that there is rumblings within AFL headquarters of a delay to the entry of GWS into the league for next season.

Apparently, the performance of Gold Coast and the concern that the GWS kids will not be ready for AFL by next year is at the forefront of the reasoning.

A year spent in the VFL is being looked at before entry into the AFL for 2013.

You heard it here first.

I really dont want another year of this bye bullshit

theyll learn more in a season of AFL than they will in the VFL, throw them in the deep end

Eddie was talking this morning about a phone call he received with huge huge news that he couldnt break?

I respect the doubters,
like i said, heard it here first.

It could well happen after the humiliating start by the Gold Coast showing that they will be cannon fodder this year ..and GWS would be even worse next year .

It kinda makes sense

There is no doubt that the Gold Coast are embarrassing the AFL and highlighting the inequities of the draw. GWS don't need a delay, Sheedy and the recruiters just need a rocket and a reminder of the importance of being competitive from day 1.

So many things wrong with this I don't know where to start.

1. They're deciding all this on the back of one Gold Coast performance?
2. They're already building their stadium, and will have contracts in place to play in 2012.
3. If they were going to play in the VFL for a year, they would have done it this year.
4. Their answer to make GWS better is to make them do exactly what Gold Coast did, i.e. play in the VFL, when the goal of this exercise is to make sure they are not like Gold Coast?
5. They already have sponsers in place who would have signed on with the knowledge they would commence in 2012.
6. See 1.

And last of all:

7. You're just some guy on BigFooty. Why should we believe you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many things wrong with this I don't know where to start.

1. They're deciding all this on the back of one Gold Coast performance?
2. They're already building their stadium, and will have contracts in place to play in 2012.
3. If they were going to play in the VFL for a year, they would have done it this year.
4. Their answer to make GWS better is to make them do exactly what Gold Coast did, i.e. play in the VFL, when the goal of this exercise is to make sure they are not like Gold Coast?
5. They already have sponsers in place who would have signed on with the knowledge they would commence in 2012.
6. See 1.

And last of all:

7. You're just some guy on BigFooty. Why should we believe you?

1. One Gold Coast performance, that was possibly one of the worst in recent years. With such a young list, things can only get worse as players tire over the year.

2. The stadium will get built, and GWS isnt folding merely delayed by one year, contracts can be rolled.

3. The realisation that GWS will need to be more battle hardened before entry means playing in the premier state competition before entry. They cannot afford to get smashed from round 1 if they want to wi over Sydneys rugby league heartland.

4. Gold Coast played 1 yr in VFL before entry. GWS will have 1 yr in Canberra and then a second year in VFL. More practice against men.

5. Contracts can be rolle, team is not folding merely being delayed for a year.

6. Good argument here.

And last of all, why are your comments ny more credible than mine seeing as though you are nly a guy on Big Footy also.

Why assume GWS will be like the GCS ?

I suspect they will be much better in their first year, and probably better in 2012 than the GCs are

Shhedy and Williams will see to that

Why assume GWS will be like the GCS ?

I suspect they will be much better in their first year, and probably better in 2012 than the GCs are

Shhedy and Williams will see to that

So you are expecting GWS to recruit around 18 very good players from other teams ...or are you expecting a bunch of kids to be competitive from day one ???

Either way you are in for the same wake up call as Bluey M'cKenna got the other night .

So you are expecting GWS to recruit around 18 very good players from other teams ...or are you expecting a bunch of kids to be competitive from day one ???

Either way you are in for the same wake up call as Bluey M'cKenna got the other night .

They will recruit close to 20 players as opposed to Gold Coasts 8. They have already said as much. They will be five times the team Gold Coast are

the only reason this could possibly happen is if the GWS came back and told the AFL that they couldn't get any signings and they were only going to field a team of 17 and 18 year olds.

Teams get beaten by 100 points almost every year - it's just a shame it happened to the Gold Coast in there first match. But not suprising - they played a heaps of rookies, and a few very underdone seniors against a finals bound side that was coming off a win with match fit seniors.

People are reading way to much into Gold Coast's loss. It was 1 game ffs. And they were always expected to finish at the bottom end of the ladder this year.

GWS wont be pushed back. But they may trade more picks for players to be slightly more competitive from the start (which may hurt there chances of getting a premiership in the short term)

As a GWS supporter in a NRL heartland, I think we need to be competitive from day one. It would be better to delay the start of the team for one year as to get more fans on board. I can see why the AFL would do this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back