MMA-UFC UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Diaz

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh ok thought it might have been longer with a title fight.

Has everyone heard the news? Christmas has come early. Dana has announced GSP v Nick Diaz is the most likely fight when Nick returns from suspension. What a lead in to the weekends fight... Nate the new LW champ, Nick soon to be the new WW champ.

Should update the OP, Shaub and Johnson no longer fighting due to injury. Agree with sentiments though that this is an awesome card. Definitely watching this despite the ads!

@danawhite: The UFC curse strikes again. Tim Means slips in sauna and KO's himself so now Marcus LeVesseur vs Abel Trujillo

Bummed that Means is out tomorrow. I've been really impressed by his first two fights in the octagon and was looking forward to seeing him fight again. Best go update our tips lads!

Lots of guys missing weight today. Diaz at 155.6 (looked like he didn't know he had to be 155 flat), Siver initially .2 of a pound over, Assuncao over by a bit and Martinez weighing in at 158.8.

Lots of guys missing weight today. Diaz at 155.6 (looked like he didn't know he had to be 155 flat), Siver initially .2 of a pound over, Assuncao over by a bit and Martinez weighing in at 158.8.
Martinez has fought at featherwight in the past, no idea how he couldn't cut to 156. I don't know why but I was actually thinking about the last time a fighter missed weight in a UFC title fight before the weigh-ins today. Travis Lutter I think. Diaz came back and made the limit, as did Assuncao. Martinez didn't so he's being fined 20% of his purse.

Bummed that Means is out tomorrow. I've been really impressed by his first two fights in the octagon and was looking forward to seeing him fight again. Best go update our tips lads!

timmeans.jpg

Was pretty clear at the weigh-ins that BJ and MacDonald is going to be the main event for the live crowd. BJ was far more popular than everybody else and Rory was almost booed out of the building. Thinking MacDonald's going to be too big in the end and use that to control BJ but I don't think he'll dominate him. Hope I'm wrong though.

If Diaz gets the better of the standup and Benson looks to take it to the ground then I think the fight could be incredible, Diaz will constantly threaten off his back and Benson regularly gets locked into subs but somehow keeps escaping them. But Diaz's submission game is a level above Cerrone, Bocek, Edgar and the others that Benson has nearly been caught by. Had to laugh at Diaz still flexing at his second weigh-in when he was only covered with a towel.

Intriguing to see how Shogun and Gustafsson plays out, Shogun's chin has always held up amazingly well but it's got to be a matter of time before somebody puts him down and out. Gustafsson's perhaps got the reach and power to do that but I wouldn't be surprised if Shogun's strategy is to try and put him on his back and unleash his brutal hammerfists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was the deal with the weigh ins? Did they all eventually make weight?
Diaz came back and made the limit, as did Assuncao. Martinez didn't so he's being fined 20% of his purse.
And Siver must have made weight after stripping down at the time of the weigh-ins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back