Game Day Round 15 2013 - Brisbane v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Luenberger is one of if not the dominant ruck in the comp. Fantastic filip for the club that we've got him locked and loaded.

The clubs done a great job in re-signing some key players this year (luey and rich primarily). Now we just need Hanley.

At the games it was obvious to everyone how woeful the non-calls in favour of GC were, even the Suns fan sitting next to me was cringing.

Anyway, solid game from the boys today. Really enjoyed watching them play. I won't comment on individuals because I thought it was a great team effort.

GO LIONS!!!!

Pace is still a worry and we must target genuine speedsters in this years draft. When GC got a run on we were found wanting with players dropping off the chase too frequently. We seem to be hitting targets better than earlier in the year but they may come down to less pressure and more time with the ball as GC granted us today. Overall very pleasing and great goal kickers spread which shows we are becoming a lot less Browny conscious.

Loved Vossy's quip in his press conference regarding the free kicks saying something along the lines that that particular stat doesn't seem to be changing a hell of a lot and it being something that we will need to address at some point in time.

If Geishen is back from his vacation, I'm sure he can be expecting a call from Mr Voss.

Will happily admit that I got the call on Mayes seriously wrong. I reckon it was his best game for the club, what a star he's shaping up to be. His vision and execution is bordering on elite in his first season. Love it.

Really happy with Merrett, Staker and Brown up forward to. In this form, JB can play on in 2014 I think.

Pretty complete performance at the end of the day. Lapses, sure, but every team has them. We got the job done with minimal fuss. Very happy. North will be a massive challenge after their win over Richmond though.

Surprised Leui got BOG, thought Hanley was a clear standout. So calm under pressure and his foot skills were too good. Also C. Brown is the biggest scumbag, he's lucky he can milk free kicks because he has no skill at all.

Also C. Brown is the biggest scumbag, he's lucky he can milk free kicks because he has no skill at all.

Can't believe the ump got sucked into paying that free to him when he tangled with McGrath late in the third. Not sure what the 50 was for either, unless Ash rightfully gave the prick a gob full for being sucked in.

Yeah, Ash should be better than that etc, but just goes to show how little game sense some umps have.

Re: the umpiring. The three incidents I've seen mentioned:

1) Broughton (I think) in Brown's back - was borderline late, but was a legitimate spoiling attempt, so no free there.
2) Bennell push in Goose's back - seeing it live it looked like a blatant free, but the replays suggested it may have been enough in the side. Across the AFL the umps make bad calls on this rule fairly regularly, so you've got to accept that you'll get some go against you. But it wasn't a big push and Maguire should still have kept the ball in front of him.
3) Ash McGrath penalty - the ump missed a blatant one, that happens sometimes, but McGrath needs to suck it up. Raines has been pinged a few times for retaliating as well, and you just have to accept that your opponent got away with one, stay disciplined, and hope the ump pings them next time.

Any others?

Don't really think that's worth getting in a huff about. Umps are never going to be perfect, and you tend to not notice or quickly forget the ones that go in your favour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: the umpiring. The three incidents I've seen mentioned:

1) Broughton (I think) in Brown's back - was borderline late, but was a legitimate spoiling attempt, so no free there.
2) Bennell push in Goose's back - seeing it live it looked like a blatant free, but the replays suggested it may have been enough in the side. Across the AFL the umps make bad calls on this rule fairly regularly, so you've got to accept that you'll get some go against you. But it wasn't a big push and Maguire should still have kept the ball in front of him.
3) Ash McGrath penalty - the ump missed a blatant one, that happens sometimes, but McGrath needs to suck it up. Raines has been pinged a few times for retaliating as well, and you just have to accept that your opponent got away with one, stay disciplined, and hope the ump pings them next time.

Any others?

Don't really think that's worth getting in a huff about. Umps are never going to be perfect, and you tend to not notice or quickly forget the ones that go in your favour.

I didn't think it was great, it was more non-calls that annoyed me. But like you said, I try to ignore the umpiring as much as I can, or else I fixate on it. I can probably provide a few instances when I watch the replay.

I suspect TheBrownDog would be able to weigh in, and I'd like to hear his thoughts on it.

Which ones?

Like I said above, I'll have a watch of the replay and try to find you a few specific instances. But like I also said, I tried my best to ignore it :p

Though it wasn't the perfect afternoon, I just want to say how proud I am of the boys for pulling out a solid victory. Whether Ablett played or not, no Black, or the umpires called this or not or whatever. No excuses. They threw EVERYTHING at us in the third and we held our own. The SUNS were built by the AFL to be a driving force in the competition, and even though we may not have the most glamorous 'superstars' I still believe when push comes to shove we will be there to rise to the occasion.

Nice win...was I the only one to notice the number of the 2009 guys playing? (and shining)...Harwood,Maguire,Hanley and Golby from the drafts plus Staker and Raines from trades...almost a third of the team tonight...all that and Beams waiting in the wings you might say.

Oh and about Mayes...as the match commentary stated ...growing in stature.

Which ones?

There are plenty of non calls that are missed with us. The ones called against us I don't have a problem with, but on a consistent basis we get smashed in free kicks with things not being paid our way. That's what pisses people off, having the same thing but play on for one team and a free kick for the other. Yes the umps will miss things, but they constantly miss more for us than against us. A lot of them happen to be forward of center too. I'd love to see a stat for how many shots on goal our opponents average on us from free kicks compared to what we get.

There are plenty of non calls that are missed with us. The ones called against us I don't have a problem with, but on a consistent basis we get smashed in free kicks with things not being paid our way. That's what pisses people off, having the same thing but play on for one team and a free kick for the other. Yes the umps will miss things, but they constantly miss more for us than against us. A lot of them happen to be forward of center too. I'd love to see a stat for how many shots on goal our opponents average on us from free kicks compared to what we get.

Why do you think that is?

The umpiring was average, not great but not terrible for most of the game and not blatantly one-sided except for a strange little patch in the final quarter just after Rockliff got laid out on the boundary line. For the next two minutes I swear the umpires missed everything, including about four HTB calls in a row.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back